Big brother is listening - Vintage Mustang Forums
 32Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Big brother is listening

There is NO way this can be a coincidence.

My wife an I have been working on downsizing our stuff in anticipation of retirement in several years. One of the things we'll have to deal with is my record collection that has been sitting in our basement for 20 years. I got out my old Dual 1229 turntable and hooked it up to my old stereo while my wife started pulling records so we could check condition. She selected a bunch of Stones and Who albums and finds a old 45 the Plasmatics Butcher Baby. We had a bit of a laugh about this one and thought no more about it. That was Saturday, on Sunday I logged onto U-tube and what did I find recommended for me, yup, Plasmatics Butcher Baby.

Now I can understand (but still find creepy) if I googled it and it was in my history, but I didn't do that. I don't watch music videos on U-tube so how come they recommended that of all possible things?
gwstang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Truth! How come, if I go in or walk by a store, I suddenly start getting a message from that store. Like Walmart. They can see the location by phone but how in the hell do they know my number, to do this? Never gave it to any stores. Something is just wrong about all of this. You could not give me any of those devices people have in their home like are being used to access the internet by voice.
ruger likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Do you own a Google Home device or Alexa by any chance? The company I work for gave all employees a Google Home last year. My wife and I noticed it would become active without having given the command to turn on. We also have both gotten email notifications on different products we have discussed at the dinner table. Since then I unplugged it.
gwstang and Wsmatau like this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Do you have a smart speaker? (Alexa, etc?) That could kind explain it. If not, make yourself a tin foil hat. You're gonna need it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM

Personally a internet spy device that uses audio will never enter my house. My financial planner got the new google home and he and his wife were talking about a trip to the local mountains. Within two minutes both there phones were inundated with offers for hotels/packages/ect. He questions my paranoia no more and has since removed the device.
gwstang and capemustang like this.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 PM

Yes, Google assistant/Alexa both use the microphones to listen to your home. So do some smart TVs along with most smart phones. The feature can be disabled, but you'll usually have to dig pretty far down in the settings to get to that option.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Nope, no Alexa. Got a smart phone but it probably wasn't on me.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Garage
Your Android phone with Google Voice ( "Okay, Google...") or Apple Siri is always on unless you dig in the settings and turn that off too. I use the Incognito Tabs to do most of my web surfing and it cuts down on my ads a lot.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 AM

I heard mention of this type of spying on a radio show I listen to a couple of months ago. I really didn't believe it was possible. Later that same day, my daughter went to the market some items. I texted her to check for a sale price on a specific item. Within five minutes after I sent the text, I was seeing ads for that same specific item on my computer.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 AM
Supporting Member

he's outside your door ! wow ! turn it up !

supershifter2™ < !
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Garage
My father in law was over one night, we had on a show about egypt and they were talking about mummies. My fil says "You know, egyptians weren't the only ones with mummies" and proceeds to talk about it. I go to work the next day, at some point I jump on the internet...on my work computer...and an ad pops up on the side with the words "Egypt wasn't the only place with mummies" wtf I could almost understand if it was my smartphone, but my work computer?

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 31 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Your cell phone is listening too, even when it's in your pocket.
Sparky66 likes this.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 AM
LSG

Exclamation yes. yes he is

It is interesting that we have had operation mockingbird, mkultra, now we have echelon and weeping angel. If you aren't afraid, you're not paying attention. Elon Musk thinks we should be afraid, and I think he is right. LSG
j persons likes this.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
considering I don't do anything I'm worried about the government knowing about, I just don't care at this point. But yeah, big brother has been watching and listening for decades now, and with all this smart stuff it's just easier.
supershifter2 and Sparky66 like this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
considering I don't do anything I'm worried about the government knowing about, I just don't care at this point. But yeah, big brother has been watching and listening for decades now, and with all this smart stuff it's just easier.
Have a listening device in your bedroom when you are having sex and see if you get unsolicited ads for Trojans or whips and chains
gwstang likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page