Jeep Unlimited - thoughts? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:32 AM

You have to decide if you really want to be a "Jeep" person or not.

Aside from its offroad attributes, there are A LOT of much better suv's out there that are significantly better than a Wranger, cheaper, more reliable, more HP, ride better, and get significantly better fuel mileage.

All that said... I wish I had one...

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, everyone, for the excellent reviews. I'll have my wife read this thread, as it's pretty great.

Just an FYI - we are not really concerned about gas mileage. Between my 351W and her current 5 liter Mercedes convertible, good gas mileage has never been a priority/concern for us. Also, we do really like the Grand Cherokee, as it was the original Jeep we were considering before we/she looked at the 4-door Unlimited. They are obviously very different vehicles, so we'll/she'll decide carefully.

Also, we need a "parade vehicle" for my wife, who is a local elected official, and we've been using her current Mercedes convertible for that recently. The thought of her standing in the back of the Jeep with our big puppy during the parade is an added benefit of the Jeep Unlimited "if" we sold/traded in her convertible with the purchase. We obviously can't do that with the Grand Cherokee.

I'll keep you all posted, and keep those reviews coming if there's more to know.

Cheers!

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM

On the subject of gas mileage, I think I averaged about 19mpg. Most of my driving was not highway, but back country roads with longer stretches without stop lights.

On longer trips on the highway, I was around 22 or 23mpg.

I really didn't complain about the gas mileage I was getting, but I do work from home and didn't have a daily commute to work.

Also, on the topic of being a Jeep person...almost everyone on the road driving a Jeep will wave at you. My wife hated driving the Jeep because she's not really a 'wave back at strangers' type of person. But if your wife likes 'being in the club', then she'll dig it.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
I've had a Jeep since 2006, both Libertys, and not one time has anyone waved at me. I've heard and read about the "Jeep Wave", but have never seen it, so I think it's like Bigfoot.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I've had a Jeep since 2006, both Libertys, and not one time has anyone waved at me. I've heard and read about the "Jeep Wave", but have never seen it, so I think it's like Bigfoot.
You need a Wrangler to get a ďJeep WaveĒ. Iíve got a 2014 (2-door) and get them all the time when driving, pretty much anywhere I take it.

To the OP: There is a lot of very accurate info here. I love mine for the ease/speed of getting around town in it, but it isnít plush, and it isnít for everyone.
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:38 PM

Underpowered, gutless, noisy, terrible driving, uncomfortable tin cans that are way overpriced for what you get. If you're into that so you can fit in with the mall crawler moms, go for it. I've been in several of them and I wouldn't take it if it were free.
Hemikiller and IndyFive-O like this.
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsroof69 View Post
Underpowered, gutless, noisy, terrible driving, uncomfortable tin cans that are way overpriced for what you get. If you're into that so you can fit in with the mall crawler moms, go for it. I've been in several of them and I wouldn't take it if it were free.
Hysterical - Now tell me how you really feel!

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I'm not into Jeeps but have never really had anything against them. However there's more than a grain of truth in sportsroof69's first sentence. It's almost like either you are a diehard Jeep lover or care nothing about them with little in between. In these days of where every darn thing is a fairly generic station wagon/SUV/crossover at least the Wranglers stand out a little, so there's that. Probably would be a little cooler if they had a different engine than a Dodge Caravan 3.8 turned sideways though.

The newest models that have had FCA's hands in the engineering mix I frankly can't recommend. For example the "Renegade". Made entirely in Italy with no discernable Jeep DNA to be found.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I'm a Jeep Geek. I currently drive a beat up 2000 Cherokee and I also have a Comanche pickup. I had the Cherokee fixed up really nice until a hail storm pummeled it. I have replaced almost every wearable part on it. Something is always going wrong with it, but the good news almost the entire vehicle is sitting on the shelves of any auto parts store and installing those parts is almost always pretty easy. Wranglers are the same.

Fiat Chrysler electrical systems are abysmal. So, as a Jeep Geek, you gotta suck it up there.

The new Gladiator is appealing to my inner Jeep Geek. Next year they will be available with a diesel V6. If it's a good diesel V6, that sounds very appealing; a Jeep with decent fuel economy and gobs of torque. I would expect the Jeep Unlimited would also be available with the diesel, in case anyone would want to wait for that.

I would be hard-pressed to buy a Jeep with a lot of miles on it. And for a Jeep, 80,000 is a lot of miles. That's when the electrical systems start to have issues. Yet, for some reason, even high-mileage Jeeps are priced high.

And speaking of high prices, I suspect the Jeep Stealerships are going to mark up the Gladiators once they get them on the lot. Jeep Geeks have been foaming at the mouth over the Jeep pickup concept for 10 years. I expect once the factories start cranking out the Gladiators by the thousands, the Stealerships will have to give in and sell them below MSRP.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
Hysterical - Now tell me how you really feel!
It's true though. That's why everyone keeps saying Jeeps aren't for everyone and you have to be a "Jeep person" to like them. The 4.0 is hands down one of the top 5 motors ever built and they ended the only good thing the Jeep had going for it as DD, and replaced it with a giant turd. They can be great off-road vehicles, but they suck as something to drive every day.
rdnck1 likes this.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I'm wondering about the wave. I ride a big vulcan motorcycle and we give the two fingers down for two wheels on the ground. Do the jeep guys stick the hand out pointed to the ground and give a four fingers down for four on the ground....
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:59 PM

"You bought a JEEP !?!? . . . can I ride in it? "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandson Jeep.jpg (204.5 KB, 9 views)
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:13 AM

Judging by the Mustang in your pic, if you get a Jeep you'll have another addiction to satisfy......hard to leave them as-is.......
Rorin67 likes this.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM

“Next year they will be available with a diesel V6.”

It’s the same Eco diesel used in the Ram 1500, built by VMmotori in Italy. Some love them, some hate them. The biggest issues are with the DEF/DPF emissions controls. Pretty much the same for all modern diesels. Very different from the old 6BT Cummins in the old Dodge trucks.

My Jeep is a 05 Liberty CRD with the 2.8L 4 cyl diesel by VMmotori. My wife’s is a 06, same engine but mostly stock.
Mine has a 2.5 inch lift and 32 inch tires. It has over 220k miles. I’ve changed the timing belt twice and replaced a cracked head. Had several small but expensive problems. And I’ve performed many mods to improve performance and longevity.
Above all, it’s a Jeep.
Just Empty Every Pocket.
gwstang and Klutch like this.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
I'm wondering about the wave. I ride a big vulcan motorcycle and we give the two fingers down for two wheels on the ground. Do the jeep guys stick the hand out pointed to the ground and give a four fingers down for four on the ground....
So that's what that means. I've seen bikers do that and couldn't understand what it was other than a gang symbol.
gwstang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page