Jeep Unlimited - thoughts? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:47 PM

They're junk. There's a 99 Sahara in my driveway that is a lot to fun to drive in the SUMMER but I know it's a toy. I tell people to avoid them as a daily driver and only get one if you consider it a recreational vehicle. If reliable means rusty and leaky than yes they are reliable. Reliable to me isn't only starts and runs. Reliable to me is it starts when you want it to AND it doesn't nickle and dime you with little annoying things.

66' coupe - 347 - 4 Speed Toploader - 9" LSD 3:70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Garage
I've read somewhere that Jeep ranks among the lowest for reliability. That being said, they're extremely capable off road machines when they are in good shape

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
I've read somewhere that Jeep ranks among the lowest for reliability. That being said, they're extremely capable off road machines when they are in good shape
In addition to being highly capable off road, Jeeps have some of the best resale values, and are one of the cheapest vehicles to insure respectively speaking.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 PM

Jeep and Land Rover have both run far from their roots, but in opposite directions.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 PM

"Just Empty Every Pocket."

Ha! Never heard this one...lol
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
So that's what that means. I've seen bikers do that and couldn't understand what it was other than a gang symbol.
It's sort of a universal be safe signal, for bikers.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
More interested in reliability issues/concerns, as this will be a city commuter. I know nothing about these vehicles...
Then run away. Jeeps are awful. The old boxy Cherokees had great longblocks as everything else fell apart around them, especially if it was rubber, plastic, electrical or held or used fluid. Everything after that = junk. I try to talk people out of them but they want them because Jeep. There's not much equivalent competition. If you actually used it as a Jeep for camping, less than 5k miles a year you might only have odds and ends go wrong like windows that stop working and other annoying issues. But as a daily driver? Expect to be using that warranty up to the day it expires and be furious at the dealership the entire time you own it. Nobody I know who bought one didn't regret it. Maybe a lease would be OK. Then you can at least get rid of it in a certain timeframe.

1965 Mustang
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 AM

Yet another article posted just yesterday (4/2/2019) giving most Jeep lines poor ratings:

https://www3.forbes.com/business/32-...s-to-avoid/11/
Cherokee
Compass
Patriot

Bad ratings in different categories

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM

^While I don't disagree with jeeps being on their list, I hate those clickbait lists. The Scion IQ is on there, you can't buy one of those new, the last Scions were model year 2016.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Then run away. Jeeps are awful. The old boxy Cherokees had great longblocks as everything else fell apart around them, especially if it was rubber, plastic, electrical or held or used fluid. Everything after that = junk. I try to talk people out of them but they want them because Jeep. There's not much equivalent competition. If you actually used it as a Jeep for camping, less than 5k miles a year you might only have odds and ends go wrong like windows that stop working and other annoying issues. But as a daily driver? Expect to be using that warranty up to the day it expires and be furious at the dealership the entire time you own it. Nobody I know who bought one didn't regret it. Maybe a lease would be OK. Then you can at least get rid of it in a certain timeframe.
I'm gonna add the opposite viewpoint. My '08 Liberty has been my daily since I bought it new in '08, and other than the SkySlider roof (nice idea, poor implementation), I've had no problems with it. I think the SkySlider was the only thing that ever got fixed under the warranty. Everything else has been just fine, outside of normal maintenance stuff, and a water pump that gave out. Maybe I just got a good one.
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Counterpoint:

My old boss has a 2008 4Runner he bought new, it has 180k miles. He's never had to replace the water pump or do any warranty work. How much was that water pump? What else constitutes "normal maintenance"? If it's beyond oil/lube, filters, brakes and tires, it's not normal. Although I do admit that your experience is pretty stellar for a Jeep.

1965 Mustang
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Counterpoint:

My old boss has a 2008 4Runner he bought new, it has 180k miles. He's never had to replace the water pump or do any warranty work. How much was that water pump? What else constitutes "normal maintenance"? If it's beyond oil/lube, filters, brakes and tires, it's not normal. Although I do admit that your experience is pretty stellar for a Jeep.
I think the water pump was around 100 bucks, but I don't remember. As for normal maintenance, yup, that's the stuff. The differentials have been flushed as recommended. Oh yeah, had to replace the windshield cuz it got a crack in it. just over 120k miles now. Plus it's got lifetime powertrain warranty on it.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Counterpoint:

My brother-in-law has a new 4Runner, that thing is a gutless turd. My Jeep isn’t fast, but the Yota makes it seem like a Miata. I would gladly pay for an extra water pump or two to avoid driving a boring, souless transit every day. Six trouble free years on my Wrangler and I still look forward to driving it. There is nothing else like it.
69RR and DrHawkeye like this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9” rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 PM

I have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport. I wanted to find out what all the hulabalu was about Jeeps. So test drove one and it drove great. Went 500 miles from home ( to Mclean Va.). Traded in my 2009 Honda and got a 2012 Jeep. After driving it for 18months I still like it, it does have truck like manners but I like the height and like that fact that is a 6spd manual (all my cars have been standard). But the gas is about 17 in winter and 21 in summer. And does come in handy in snow country. I have no fear of driving any where in it. That said I'm thinking of getting another Honda...lol.
Quicksilver66 likes this.

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RR View Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport. I wanted to find out what all the hulabalu was about Jeeps. So test drove one and it drove great. Went 500 miles from home ( to Mclean Va.). Traded in my 2009 Honda and got a 2012 Jeep. After driving it for 18months I still like it, it does have truck like manners but I like the height and like that fact that is a 6spd manual (all my cars have been standard). But the gas is about 17 in winter and 21 in summer. And does come in handy in snow country. I have no fear of driving any where in it. That said I'm thinking of getting another Honda...lol.
Ahh, the visit to Koons!

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9” rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page