Harleys and why I hate them.... - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 44Likes

post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Here in Florida, Harley’s are nothing special. Everybody’s got one. And they cruise with their “packs” on Saturdays and Sundays.
There’s a HD shop on every street corner (not really but it seems that way).
There’s biketoberfest, bike week, bike this and bike that.

I’m not interested in buying a motorcycle. But if I were, I’d get a Triumph. 😉
11thAirborne likes this.

1970 Mustang coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
I've ridden mostly dirt bikes since '72 and still have a couple. I've had a few road bikes including a '66 Yamaha 100cc TwinJet and a '79 SR500. I recently traded my '02 YZF-R6 for an '18 FJR1300. Note that all my road bikes have foot positions directly under the rider like a dirt-bike. When I ride my buddies HD or cruiser with the forward foot placement, I feel like I lack control. I like having my feet under me so I can stand on the pegs and hug the tank when going over bumps or hard into corners. The cruiser riding experience seems detached and unstable just sitting there on my duff. On the other hand, they sure are comfy on a smooth straight stretch of road.
stephen_wilson likes this.

65 Mustang Fastback / Shelby GT350-Themed Restomod
2019 Shelby GT350
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Garage
Sold the Road Sofa today. My wife was more sad to see it go than I was. We got 14 good years and a lot of memories out of that bike, and the old guy who bought it will probably put another 50K miles on it.

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 PM

Garage
My ride is a Kawasaki ZRX1200. Want to haul ***, this does it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kawasaki R cut.JPG (144.2 KB, 91 views)

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Lost my brother and few friends to the harley thing. I dont dislike the bikes just what it does to people. Personally there performance is abysmal when compared to other bikes. I believe thats why harley riders must only speak in special groups, kind of like the special Olympics.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:38 AM

I cut my teeth at 17 on Indians, old Chiefs and Scouts. The pic below was my favorite, it started as a full dresser but morphed as I got into high school and beyond. I was about 25 when this photo was taken, it was a pic of the house and by the time it was zoomed in you can barely see the bike but its the only shot I have left of my custom Indian. That bike destroyed my back but damn, I rode the crap out of it across Southern California of the 70s and 80 and up to Sonoma county and the Marin headlands north of SF. IT was the fastest bike in my area till the Honda 750 debuted. 80 cu inch with a Indian's racing Bonneville kit, cams and carb, it handled like a dream and rode like a buckboard. These were the daze when you drove a custom, you built it with innovation and parts from old cars or whatever you could find. It said something about you and frankly, it took a "real man" to start one ;o)

I don't mind the Harley douches except when they go crazy on the pipes and feel the need to overcompensate for their "inadequacies" by revving the crap out of them screaming to everyone "look at me, I'm a sad douche". On nice summer days in downtown Watkins Glen, there is a bar that opens the storefront windows letting the summer in. We play music on Sunday afternoons and the douches drive by on their store-bought-electric-start Harleys customized with catalog bolt-ons all decked out like the guy in the Village People reving the crap out of straight pipes in a downtown with 2 story buildings on either side of the street. NOBODY thinks they are cool.

I don't mind people who look like douches, I got no opinion, but when they ACT like a douche, yea, I'll get some attitude...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg INdian.jpg (274.5 KB, 6 views)
gwstang and stephen_wilson like this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 04-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM

I prefer my 2004 Vulcan 2000. It is 2053 cc's/ 125 ci's and will flat out move. The only problem....it is very very heavy. Low speed parking lots suck...a lot Nice to cruise on though. Rode to key west last fall.

Me and then my youngest son Rolling from Tamp to Key West for a couple of days. He has a Suzuki M109R Bad assed bike too.

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:15 PM

I ride a ďdirt Harley,Ē as the orange bike haters around here like to call them, since thatís what 75% of people here choose to ride. Iíve been on dirt bikes my whole life, but Iíd never ride a bike on the street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 731512A4-D8C1-4F1D-A4F5-F97E593168A5.jpg (653.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 6CC9329F-1650-4AAF-9954-0C09A9C2DF29.jpg (754.5 KB, 5 views)
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Garage
I liked the Cosplay comment... I bought a Victory for the "I don't want to have a bike that looks like all the others" thing.
I pulled it out of the garage to paint this weekend.....may have to keep it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Concours Vehicles (115).jpg (643.2 KB, 6 views)

Barney..1966 Mustang Coupe
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
My daily scoot. I've got skulls, wear leathers, ride whenever and wherever, and don't give 2 ****s about what others think- because I can. Like others have mentioned, there are always those asshats that ruin things for others, or give particular groups bad names, stereotypes, etc. Do what you like, and do it for you- don't sweat the jealous critics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1568.jpg (396.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1569.jpg (348.3 KB, 5 views)
Huntingky likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 AM

A Honda 700 was all I ever needed. Got me to work, the beach (2 hrs) and was enjoyable for day trips. My Harley friends were always fixing their bikes.
A bad hip and old age lead to selling it to my cousin's boy. He drove a Kawasaki something (cross street/dirt) across Europe, Turkey, Georgia and into Russia, but that's an long story.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Some nice bike pics and great stories. Unfortunately my experience is rather limited and so are my stories. Here is one that fits in.
Back in the late 80s I got a hankering to ride, couldn't find a Harley in my price range but found a killer deal on a pristine 77 Honda CB750. It had been sitting in garage for years and guy had gotten the ultimatum to get rid of it so I jumped on the deal, and the bike.
Local park that I cruised occasionally usually had several large groups of bikes and the Harley and Japanese riders definitely didn't mingle.
I was living in an apartment in Dallas and on the back side of the complex lived several hard core bikers: leathers, long hair, long beards that reached down to disguise their beer guts. Rough looking crowd. Anyway one weekend I came back from a spirited ride and decided to take a slow lap around the complex to cool down. As I rounded the back of the complex on my Jap bike, I spotted my Harley riding neighbors having a cookout. There must of been 30 bikes parked and it looked like the Sons Of Anarchy get together. They spotted me and a half dozen of so of them came running out waving to flag me down. OH CRAP!
As I rolled to a stop, they surrounded me and slammed me with questions and remarks, "What year is that?" "That looks just like the bike I started out with" "Man that thing is in great shape" etc etc. Ended up inviting me to join them in some beer and burgers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82andHonda.jpg (78.1 KB, 4 views)
gwstang, gt350sr and Tedfirediver1 like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Lane splitting.
Sorry, but that's the stupidest thing ever.
Haters just gonna hate...

To the OP - Did you buy it yet?

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Pic of the RD just for fun.
Lovely bike.

I had an RD350LC in the past. My first bike after passing my test. I thought it was a bit slow at first until the engine hit the powerband. I love 2 strokes.

I am currently rebuilding an RD500LC at the moment. I have never ridden it. I can't wait to see what the 2 stroke V4 goes like.

I think the liquid cooled RD's are called RZ's in other countries.

And I have an FZ750 as my everyday bike which is great fun.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
Haters just gonna hate...

To the OP - Did you buy it yet?
Still on the fence but these stories have been entertaining. I definitely don't NEED it.... I've had a few guys come look at it and throw some low all offers on it, but the more I'm hearing from you all, those offers are becoming more realistic.

I mean, $10k could get me a 4-link and new stroker motor for the mustang....

Last edited by Desert66; 04-09-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page