Harleys and why I hate them.... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 44Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Harleys and why I hate them....

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I'm considering something I never thought I'd do, buy a Harley Davidson. I live in Southern AZ and the level of douchebaggery that goes along with owning a HD down here is high (no offense). The leathers, the made-up cuts/clubs, all of the skulls and spikes on everything.... drives me crazy. I have 3 bikes in my garage right now, an SV1000s and 2 vintage 2-stroke street bikes.

My buddy got orders overseas and parked his 2014 Street Bob in my garage and told me to ride it once in awhile. Truth be told, it's probably the best bike I've ever ridden and I've owned a few Ducatis in the past. He offered to let me buy it at a steal of a price (only 6K miles), for $8K. It' books for 12.5.

Any converted HD owners out there?
gt350sr and bbmach like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Dimples

Garage
Screw what anybody else thinks. If you like it, ride it.

The anvil of reality.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Not me. I lived in Tucson and an air cooled Harley sucks 7-8 months a year. Liquid cooled is the way to go down there for comfort and enjoyment.

Yes, plenty of douche bags on bikes down there as there are everywhere anymore.
gwstang likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:44 PM

I also have a 2014 Street Bob. I'm also not a "Harley guy." They call it the largest cosplay group in America. A bunch of grown adults playing dress up. When I ride mine I try to avoid stopping anywhere that other Harley guys might be because I don't want to talk to those dorks about the best way to raid Bret Michaels' wardrobe. Don't even get me started on their dealerships (total scam artists) or the company itself (sometimes doing the right thing, but only by accident).

The book on Harleys is incredibly inflated. I tried to sell mine last year for $13.5, $12.5, etc. on down to $10k with ZERO interest. Not one person. I decided I'd rather keep it. So $8k might actually be pretty fair. That might be the price it'd actually sell for in under six months. Also riding it made me want to keep it. You're right about it riding really nice. I got my RD400 and thought I didn't need the Harley anymore but switching between the two made me appreciate how awesome the Harley is to ride.

I began modifying mine right away. I did all the work myself. Seemed weird taking apart a brand new vehicle. I lowered it (Burley Slammer kit), put on exhaust, intake and Power Commander tuner (DO NOT fall for Harley's bull**** about their tuner that only the dealership can control). Then it has a windscreen (it sucks, terrible wind "buffeting" makes it worthless), sissy bar and bags, and Roland Sands Boss seat among other cosmetics. I put a lot of effort into making sure I could remove all the accessories so it'd be more stripped down riding around town. If you change the bars to something more narrow you won't regret it. Instantly wakes up the handling of the bike. It was insane how much more I liked it with the narrow bars. Mine are from Zombie Performance.

I get compliments on it wherever I go. Majority being men with an IQ under 100.

Harley merged the Softail and Dyna line so you can't get a real Dyna anymore, this generation was the last one. I think in time people will appreciate that and they'll hold value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180817_152745.jpg (392.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180817_153030.jpg (387.2 KB, 17 views)
Huntingky likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Pic of the RD just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181003_160708.jpg (511.9 KB, 18 views)
gregb and 120mm like this.

1965 Mustang
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM

And some of my first Harley. 2008 Nightster (Sporster 1200). Regret selling it. I have a spare tank for the Street Bob, I may do the same bare metal tank treatment on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140417_222427.jpg (649.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140417_222352.jpg (575.9 KB, 15 views)

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 04-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jdub, pretty much echoing all of my thoughts right now. It's a great bike. Here's a pic of my GT750, also have an H1 basketcase I'm working on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT750.jpg (71.3 KB, 177 views)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Nice! Water Buffalo! Don't see too many of them around. The RD400 is my first large 2-stroke.

My first bike was a 2002 Honda SuperHawk. My second was a 1973 CB500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0314.jpg (373.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0312.jpg (355.8 KB, 11 views)

1965 Mustang
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert66 View Post
... all of the skulls and spikes on everything.... drives me crazy...
And yet, your avatar photo?

For me, current ride: 2006 HD FXDWG
dobrostang likes this.

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
And yet, your avatar photo?

For me, current ride: 2006 HD FXDWG
Haha Avengenged Sevenfold, my favorite band.
Huntingky likes this.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I don't know about "converted" but I did have a serious Yamaha RD addiction in my younger days. Bought my (old and thrashed) Harley about 1988 and kept it. I bought it to ride and I don't much care about the social aspects. I seem to have a douchbag allergy. I don't even buy or wear Harley T-shirts anymore. It's still my main ride though a Ninja 600 wandered into the garage one day and never left. Also I grew a Honda 175 trail bike. All three bikes are ridden for the pure pleasure of what they do and I've never really cared about what anyone else thought any one of them.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
I bought a Dyna Lowrider new in 1999 (Twin Cam 88 carbureted). I put 45K on it. I love that bike. I went to sell it a few years ago and had no takers at $5k, so I kept it. I don;t ride much anymore due to the Elk & Deer in the area and the douchebags you mentioned. But it's a great bike and nothing sounds like my Thunder Header.

If you like it, buy it, realizing it's not a good investment. They all go down eventually.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
Here's my Dyna Lowrider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1034.jpg (667.4 KB, 10 views)
bbmach likes this.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
This afternoon I'm meeting a potential buyer (if he shows up, but that's another topic) to play Let's Make a Deal with our beloved '03 Ultra Classic 100th Anniversary and its matching cargo trailer. We've ridden it from here (Omaha) to the east coast, up through SD and WY, down through Breckenridge and Pueblo, all over the place. Over the past 14 years since we bought it, things have gone from "watch out for drivers not paying attention", to "Holy crap, EVERYONE is actively trying to kill us, and they're coordinating by text message!" It's time to let someone else enjoy it.

We started out avoiding the dress-up stuff. Along the way we figured out that if you ride long distances, all that leather and "biker stuff" actually has a purpose. The chaps are nice when a grouse crosses your path at 80 and slams into your leg. The vest keeps your T-shirt from beating the living crap out of your neck. The gloves keep your hands from turning your grips into rubbery goo with sweat and oil. The do-rag helps with getting the helmet on and off without looking like something out of a horror movie. The leather jacket is nice when it gets cooler, and of course if you have the misfortune of laying the bike down it might save some skin. The T-shirts from Harley dealers can be a nice little reminder of an enjoyable trip. So, yeah, we have a little bit of "biker wear". never went for the skulls and fake 1%-er crap. We were really glad of that when we ended up at the same hotel as the national convention of the Bandidos in Pueblo a few years back. We had no idea before we rolled in there. Nice enough people if you don't piss 'em off, I guess.

Along the way we heard a lot of Harley hate from people who had no clue whatsoever what they were talking about. Yeah, the Ultra shakes like a wet dog at idle... but once it's rolling, it's a silky smooth touring "road sofa". I had to give my Gold Wing riding buddy a ride after he dropped his Wing off to have the frame re-welded as part of a recall... he said the back of the Ultra was far more comfortable than the Honda. Go figure.

We've had our fun... yes, there is a fair amount of douchebaggery among Harley owners, just as there is among owners of crotch rockets or Mustangs or Camaros or anything else. You are what you are.
gt350sr likes this.

Last edited by DaleB; 04-05-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Here is my evolution to the Harley age.

- too many dirt bikes to list
- 1979 RD400 Daytona Special
- 1982 RD350
- 1985 RZ350
- 1986 RZ500

I didn't necessarily have an addiction to two-strokes but I was young and i could not get insurance for anything four stroke fun bikes in Ontario at the time.

- 1989 FZ750
- 1990 FZR1000

finished college, grew up a little, moved across the country and sold everything I owned with two wheels. Booo

- missed the bikes so bought an 88 FJ1200

Got married, bought a house, sold the FJ (should have kept the FJ and sold the .....)

4 years later missed the bikes again. By this time I had developed some nerve issues in my elbows and wrists and could not ride a sport bike anymore. A good friend let me take a ride on his warmed over Evo Road King. He was a little insulted when I laughed at how slow it was but dammit that bike was so comfortable it was like riding a couch. I was hooked.

- 2006 FLHX - 103 kit, cams. exhaust, head work, Power Commander and 108 hp at the wheel
- 2007 FLHP - love this bike. It has a big cushy solo seat with a little air bag under it.

I can't say I get too caught up it the whole image thing with the Harley crowd. I do have a pretty nice leather jacket but I also wear a full face helmet which you don't see. many riders wear around here. I put my safety first before looks. Everything I own is loud so naturally both my Harley's have Rinehart true duals. A few of my friends also have big metric cruisers. I have ridden them but they just aren't the same as the Harley. The Harley's are just really good at what they are designed to do!

65 Fastback
FFR 427 Cobra
72 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page