My venture into powder coating and hydrodipping - Vintage Mustang Forums
 18Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

My venture into powder coating and hydrodipping

As some of you may have seen on my other post I have ordered an Eastwood dual voltage powder coat gun, am in the process of building a decent sized oven and am going to try my hand at powder coating. I've also ordered some hydrodipping film and activator as well, just waiting on it to arrive. My powder and gun have arrived. I'll try to document the oven build and my successes and failures as I learn this process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190406_100235531_1554566015047.jpg (202.9 KB, 13 views)
Huntingky likes this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:33 PM

I know people that use an electric home oven for powder coating (a separate oven in the garage not used for food!). Are you thinking of an oven bigger than that?

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I know people that use an electric home oven for powder coating (a separate oven in the garage not used for food!). Are you thinking of an oven bigger than that?
Well you see, I purchased a home oven just for this. When I got it home I realized it was not an ordinary oven size. 🤣😂 So my plans are to use the elements out if this oven, the normal oven one, the broiler one and the one under the top grate to heat an oven that will be 6x2x2. I have most of the materials to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190404_170420128_1554587952172.jpg (290.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190404_170424682_1554587986529.jpg (261.7 KB, 14 views)

Scott

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 PM

There are several you tube videos of home made ovens, one guy repurposed an electric CharBroil smoker for powder coat. I think the smoker was around $175.00 at Amazon. My home oven is about 21W X 13T X18 deep, big enough for valve covers or my transmission crossmember. The advantage of a small oven is that it doesn't take all that long to come up to temperature, and is much more economical for small batches.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

Last edited by j persons; 04-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckgearhead View Post
Well you see, I purchased a home oven just for this. When I got it home I realized it was not an ordinary oven size. 🤣😂 So my plans are to use the elements out if this oven, the normal oven one, the broiler one and the one under the top grate to heat an oven that will be 6x2x2. I have most of the materials to do so.
That is one goofy oven! I think a 4' long oven would be ambitious, 6' really ambitious!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
There are several you tube videos of home made ovens, one guy repurposed an electric CharBroil smoker for powder coat. I think the smoker was around $175.00 at Amazon. My home oven is about 21W X 13T X18 deep, big enough for valve covers or my transmission crossmember. The advantage of a small oven is that it doesn't take all that long to come up to temperature, and is much more economical for small batches.
I'll keep my eye open for a different home oven. I'm building one because I have most of what I need to do so. One of my coworkers gave me a pid controller that he saved from the trash at work and replaced the relay in it. (I do maintenance for a living) i already have solid state relays that should work as well (companies throw away stuff all the time). So it's just a matter of some steel studs, insulation and time.
vegasloki likes this.

Scott

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 03:08 AM

A 6x2x2 may sound big if you're only doing small batches. That's about the smallest size you can get a motorcycle or bicycle into. The footprint is no bigger than a kitchen oven though I have mine under my sander and drill press bench. If you have the room going up another few feet isn't a big deal. My GE in wall oven barely does a single wheel. You can make some cheaters to extend a home oven but if you can build a bigger one from the get go it's that much better. You can use the controller from the oven but if you've already got an industrial PID controller I'd use that.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
As some of you may have seen on my other post I have ordered an Eastwood dual voltage powder coat gun, am in the process of building a decent sized oven and am going to try my hand at powder coating. I've also ordered some hydrodipping film and activator as well, just waiting on it to arrive. My powder and gun have arrived. I'll try to document the oven build and my successes and failures as I learn this process.
Be sure and post your hydrographics set up when you get there. Here's the company that I use for hydro printing, they don't print anymore, except for those that are grandfathered in, but sell the supplies used in it. I just don't have the room in my shop for the vat and racks required to do this. Here's some of their work.

Big Brain graphics
Paint, Clear, Candies, Chemicals, Flakes - Paints - Big Brain Graphics
Sparky66 likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Does anyone know if you could use a shrink wrap tunnel for the powder coat process? I know at work we have a tunnel that's 4' long and the opening is 18" wide x12" high. Temp can easily get up to 350 degrees. Anyone?
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbosDad View Post
Does anyone know if you could use a shrink wrap tunnel for the powder coat process? I know at work we have a tunnel that's 4' long and the opening is 18" wide x12" high. Temp can easily get up to 350 degrees. Anyone?
Sure, as long as you turn the temp (usually 400) up to the powders required flow out temp and maintain it for the powders required time. We have heat shrink tunnels as well but my boss said if I was caught using the powder without safetys approval I could be terminated.

Scott

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Quote:
Be sure and post your hydrographics set up when you get there. Here's the company that I use for hydro printing, they don't print anymore, except for those that are grandfathered in, but sell the supplies used in it. I just don't have the room in my shop for the vat and racks required to do this. Here's some of their work.

Big Brain graphics
Paint, Clear, Candies, Chemicals, Flakes - Paints - Big Brain Graphics
That gauge cluster is bad A$$! Thanks for the link.
j persons likes this.

Scott

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Ok, after asking a question over on the PC forum they have convinced me to go 6x3x3. I think I will move this operation to my attached garage, at least until I start doing it for money. I've already had requests to do a MC frame and some car parts from my "friends." lol.

Scott

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:34 AM

We have an old double oven top and bottom. I always thought it would be easy to turn it into a powder coat oven by removing the middle pan. It would take some mods to make it accessable from the front but I wondered how easy it would be to just drop things like a monte carlo bar for instance down the hole. Just how tender are unbaked parts, like wet paint, or dry paint that needs to be baked?

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
We have an old double oven top and bottom. I always thought it would be easy to turn it into a powder coat oven by removing the middle pan. It would take some mods to make it accessable from the front but I wondered how easy it would be to just drop things like a monte carlo bar for instance down the hole. Just how tender are unbaked parts, like wet paint, or dry paint that needs to be baked?
Like a static charge holding powder to the metal. Very delicate.
j persons likes this.

Scott

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
I learned the hard way, don't even have a fan blowing near where you PC. It can screw with the oven heat and also the powder before it's cured.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page