AB1824 exhaust noise law in CA ........ update - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

AB1824 exhaust noise law in CA ........ update

Hopefully this thread will stay professional, unlike the last one.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/g...ia-ab1824.html

Anyway, SEMA is working on amending this BS via AB390, as there has been significant confusion in the "real world" about the original AB1824 law...............

Bill To Amend California’s Exhaust Noise Law Progressing
SEMA-sponsored legislation to restore law enforcement’s ability to issue “fix-it” tickets instead of citations for exhaust noise violations and broken
mufflers in California has cleared its first hurdle. The bill (AB 390) passed the state’s transportation committee March 25 and will be considered next
by the assembly committee on appropriations.
The SEMA Action Network is asking supporters to email members of the appropriations committee to encourage them to support the legislation.

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...ise-law-passes

AB 390 seeks to repeal the section of a 2018 law (AB 1824) that amended how state law enforcement officials issue citations for these violations.
Under the current law, violations may lead to an immediate fine. Previously, “fix-it” tickets allowed motorists 30 days to correct the violation.
The 2018 law generated significant concern within the industry and enthusiast community, according to SEMA. The association believes the
proposed amendment will restore clarity for motorists and the companies that manufacture and install exhaust products. The legislation would not
change the state’s 95-decibel exhaust noise limits for motor vehicles.
California assembly members Jim Frazier and Tim Grayson introduced the legislation. Christian Robinson, SEMA’s director of state government
affairs, testified in support of the bill at last month’s hearing.
SEMA also has drafted a “Fact vs. Fiction” document to help generate support for the bill.

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...aust-noise-law
Sparky66 likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 04-10-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
Thanks for the update! My neighbor, who has a hopped-up Subaru with a loud exhaust, though nowhere near the level of my '67, has been afraid to drive his car since the new law took effect. I think some people are just a bit paranoid, but I'm glad something is being done here to reverse this "revenue earner" in the state that penalizes our lives - and livelihood of many.

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
Thanks for the update! My neighbor, who has a hopped-up Subaru with a loud exhaust, though nowhere near the level of my '67, has been afraid to drive his car since the new law took effect. I think some people are just a bit paranoid, but I'm glad something is being done here to reverse this "revenue earner" in the state that penalizes our lives - and livelihood of many.
Your neighbor needs one of these to stay in the good graces of da man.......
95db is the max number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1650.jpg (257.1 KB, 7 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
While it's easy to state it's a "revenue earner," and that is certainly part of it... this is a creative way for the "law" to crack down on the street drag racing and activities like when a group of "enthusiasts" close down intersections to do burnouts, etc. The cops may not catch the folks actually doing it, but if you're there watching and have what "calibrated ears" consider a loud exhaust, you're getting stopped.

Edit - I am glad to see the attempt at reason... it's over-reaching crap like this by uneducated, self righteous lawmakers trying to solve a problem they don't understand, that is the problem.

1969 Mach-1 Mustang
460 / C6 / 9"
Back in Dixie DSO 22 (Charlotte)

Last edited by bbmach; 04-10-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Your neighbor needs one of these to stay in the good graces of da man.......
95db is the max number.
Thanks for the update! I'm not sure of the accuracy of a smartphone's microphone, but there are plenty of free decimeter apps allowing someone to test their vehicle.

Also, I have 2.5" side exhaust with short glass packs in my '66 and they're quite loud under acceleration. I've passed police on the freeway and side streets without any response so not sure how much emphasis in enforcement this law change is being given. Doesn't seem like they're trying to make it a way to extract additional revenue. Obviously this is just a small example, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has directly seen or been given a ticket under this new law and what they were fined.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I drove this one a few times on the street down in San Diego back in the late 80's. Had to turn off the engine going by cops.....
I think they were 1 chamber Flowmasters, 3" front to rear, 12:1 CR 5.0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jba-dominator-mustang_100183448_m.jpg (25.1 KB, 82 views)
Huskinhano, c6fastback and Brent like this.

- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Thanks for the update. This is good news. I can understand the noise limit, but it should be a fix it ticket, not a citation.

Hopefully this makes it through.

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:42 PM

I see these types of threads all over the net.

I stay in compliance and stay under the radar.

Isnt that the best solution?

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I see these types of threads all over the net.

I stay in compliance and stay under the radar.

Isnt that the best solution?
Not really, because the law is just so poorly written and enforced. It's no secret that many cars are already technically over the legal DB limit from the factory. For example, the Fiat 500 Abarth is actually louder than what's allowed as it has no muffler from the factory.

Why should I, a tax paying citizen, be subject to a different standard of laws just because my car didn't go above the DB limit from the factory? What happens when say, the Fiat owner gets pulled over? Do they have to pay the fine as well? The law unfairly targets car enthusiasts and is a money grab.

Don't even get me started on all the straight piped Harley bikes setting off car alarms- no one bats an eye over that. I'm glad to see SEMA doing something about this!

Rant over.
Sparky66 likes this.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

^ happens all the time here. How about an 80’s Saleen where the emissions were one standard back in the day and now are stricter yet? Gotta love this state.
The Dodge Neon SRT had no muffler either, just a cat converter.

- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Ive never known anyone to be issued a ticket when their car has not been modified from the factory.

Instead of blaming govt, blame the a-holes that prompt the govt to pass silly laws.

Hang out on the Harley boards, lots of states have cracked down on loud pipes. Colorado for one.

I spent most of my adult life siting on top of loud diesel engines, I like smooth and quiet.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM

But why should I have to fix it? If i wan't to be obnoxious or inconsiderate and a law is passed to punish me for that why do I have to change my behavior? Why can't I continue on and simply pay the fine associated with that behavior? To force conformity sounds a bit fascist! I think the law should stay as written and see if they catch me, if they do I can pay the penalty and carry on but shouldn't be forced to change!

PS If Fiat sold a car that doesn't meet applicable laws in place at the time then that is a problem at a higher than consumer level.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM

In case no one has mentioned it, the exhaust noise test has to be done under specific conditions at a specified distance from the exhaust outlet. SAE J1492 specifies the details of the test, but I couldn't find the details during my brief web search.

Tracy Blackford
65 Mustang FB, 331 built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.89 9" TL rear. PTP Engineering front suspension and 25540R17s all around
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

Daily Driver - 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collectors Edition

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
But why should I have to fix it? If i wan't to be obnoxious or inconsiderate and a law is passed to punish me for that why do I have to change my behavior? Why can't I continue on and simply pay the fine associated with that behavior? To force conformity sounds a bit fascist! I think the law should stay as written and see if they catch me, if they do I can pay the penalty and carry on but shouldn't be forced to change!

PS If Fiat sold a car that doesn't meet applicable laws in place at the time then that is a problem at a higher than consumer level.
If I remember correctly, not only do you get fined (up to $1k), you would still have to get the infraction “corrected” anyway, and possibly have it subjected to other unnecessary inspections. The “fix it” ticket as we know it is a $10 ticket after you fix it.

I’d rather have to not do either, but if forced to pick, I would go with the latter.

Unless you’re being sarcastic and I didn’t pick up on it. In that case, uh, yeah! Eff the man!

-Chris

'68 Mustang
347ci that has a lot of neat stuff in it
T5 manual trans, alum driveshaft, 9" w/3.70 gears
Suspension parts from SoT, Global West, Maier Racing, and a few others. Works for me!
TCP manual rack (love it)
EPAS (Love this the most)
VWW V45 wheels (like these too)
SoT 13" brakes (stopping is good)
And I finally got a paint job!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM

So 1of, if I drove down your street at 1am with really loud pipes and set dogs barking and woke up peoples babies who started crying and set off car alarms, thats ok, because this is America and we can do what we want to do and if you say otherwise youre a fascist.

Nope, I support noise laws, if they are unreasonable or unfair, then work to fix them. I still believe that the real solution is not to give the state a reason to enact them in the first place.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/moto...-noise-limits/

2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page