Online steel suppliers - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gump
  • 1 Post By j persons

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Online steel suppliers

I try to use local business as much as possible, but my local steel supplier quoted me $175.00 for a 36 X 36 inch sheet of 18 gauge mild steel sheet. I have been using onlinemetals.com but their price for the same 36 X 36 inch sheet is about $112.99 plus shipping. I found https://www.metals4uonline.com/ a metals supplier in Dallas TX that has a 36 X 48 inch sheet for $31.30 plus about $30 in shipping. Has anyone done business with metals4you.com?

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Seems questionable at best. You can call your local scrap collection yard and get a true market price per pound for steel and go from there. Or someone like Ryerson or Tull.

Regards,
Patrick
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:25 PM

I've never used Metals 4u. However, I've used Metals Depot (https://www.metalsdepot.com) several time with no issues. Prices seem quite reasonable . Sheet metal gets real expensive to ship due to the size of the material. I found the cheapest way to get sheet metal is when I visit a city big enough (Las Vegas) I find a local company and buy a 4x8 sheet, have them cut in half and haul it back in my truck. I've never paid that much ($175) for a full 4x8 sheet, so I'd do more shopping.

You might want to check Metals Depot price, seems a whole lot cheaper than the quote you've got.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Your local supplier may be so high due to cutting it to your size. Unless you need that specific size, ask if they have any remnants laying around. A lot of times they will sell a rem a lot cheaper than cutting a specific size.
74Rallye likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
Your local supplier may be so high due to cutting it to your size. Unless you need that specific size, ask if they have any remnants laying around. A lot of times they will sell a rem a lot cheaper than cutting a specific size.
I do that sometimes if I just need a small piece. I don't know why they are so high priced, when I called them for a quote and then told them what the online price was, their answer was to go for it. Wouldn't even talk about a discount. I think the problem is that this is a small town and they are the only supplier in this area. I just ordered this morning from metalsdepot.com The sheet it got was half the price of onlinemetals.com which used to be my regular internet supplier.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I do that sometimes if I just need a small piece. I don't know why they are so high priced, when I called them for a quote and then told them what the online price was, their answer was to go for it. Wouldn't even talk about a discount. I think the problem is that this is a small town and they are the only supplier in this area. I just ordered this morning from metalsdepot.com The sheet it got was half the price of onlinemetals.com which used to be my regular internet supplier.
Steel prices vary, but our last shipment of 18ga CRS was Weds, cost was $1.17 per square foot. Obviously, your local supplier simply doesn't want to do business with individuals.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 PM

From Shapiro in St Louis a 3x4 is $33 plus shipping. https://www.shapirosupply.com/cold-r...a-x-3-x-4.html You'll pay more for cut small batch than a sheet.

If I need small batch I use them or Online Metals. Online Metals is stupid expensive. A price of $1.17 in single sheet for me is pretty good. IIRC the last 20 ga 5 x 10 sheet I bought was $65 but that was a year or so ago. Steel has going up quite a bit in the last year. US DOM from Wheatland went up about 50% from my supplier. It wasn't so bad at the big places in So Cal but I'm still seeing 25-30% on specialty US made tubing like DOM and 4130.

67 Hardtop, bringing it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:46 AM

I’ve been buying most of mine from Shapiro lately and they’ve been great...nice steel and aluminum, packaged well, priced reasonably compared to local Chicago area quotes I got. And for the smaller quantities needed for personal car projects, it’s so much easier just having it delivered. Think 36”x48” sheets are about as big as can be shipped UPS.

'65 GT350 Clone
'70 Vintage Trans-Am Race Car
'98 SVT Cobra
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM

For small pieces, I've had good luck with these guys on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/str/stonerstoolsandrawmaterials

But they don't sell larger pieces, so no help here. Just throwing them out as a good small piece online supplier.

Ditto on trying to find a metal recycler in your area...we have a good yard here that has a nice selection of larger sheets and prices are usually very good.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Garage
Having worked in sheet metal since the late 90's, getting materials has never been much of an issue for me. We always have drops and scrap that I can use for my projects, or I could get the materials I needed at cost.

That said, instead of looking at materials suppliers, look for job shops and sheet metal fabricators in your area. Do some Google searches, or drive around the industrial parks looking for the tell-tale dumpsters with sheet poking out and 8' long pallets behind buildings. At my last place I had a local guy that did metal art and would trade a 5 gal bucket of CRS slugs from the turret presses for a dozen doughnuts every once in a while.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
I donít want to derail this thread and understand the main subject is sheet metal, but I have a question about square tubing.

I am eventually going to be building a rolling jig/cart for my project. What size and gauge tubing would be recommended? It sounds like 2x2 is common, but what thickness?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
I am eventually going to be building a rolling jig/cart for my project. What size and gauge tubing would be recommended? It sounds like 2x2 is common, but what thickness?
The last club sports car I built I used 1.5 x 1.5 x .095 with 10 ga for gussets and brackets. I used 8 x 2 casters. It would hold the built car with cage, about 2200# though a bear to move fully loaded. With just the tub it was a breeze.

If I were doing something for the Mustang tub because of the length and width I'd use 2 x 4 x .095 for the main frame. You may have a hard time finding 2 x 4 under .120 wall. If you are going to use 2 x 2 I'd go with a .120 wall because of the span. When you roll the cart there will be more torsional force which may lead to flex which why I'd go with 2 x 4 main frame. When you look at the design of a pro fixturing table for something that big it's more than likely to be a rectangular side and cross pieces with the long part of the rectangle in the vertical. I'd do pneumatic wheels and screw jacks. I didn't have that with the Miata and it had to go on stands when I put the cage in to make sure everything was level.

Last edited by vegasloki; 04-16-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

If you have a good shop floor with no cracks or large joints, I would go for solid wheels. There's much less rolling resistance using solid wheels vs pneumatic, with the wheel size being equal. If the surface is rough, use the pneumatic wheels.
vegasloki likes this.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:03 PM

That was the issue with my floor. Even though I had filled the cracks when I did the U-Coat It it's still pretty soft and they caught and turned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page