Found a door ding today. What is wrong with people? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:24 PM

that sucks, and just another reason I hate people in general.
DrHawkeye likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 PM

Second the Paintless guys. I saw a guy take out a ding on a feature line that I swore would never roll out, but he got it. Be aware that it's an art as much as science, so I'd talk to some guys in the trade, perhaps the dealer you bought the Hellcat from. I'm sure they know who the DaVincis are.

I also recommend against taking two spaces. There are 6.725X more asshats who will intentionally deface your car because you're taking two spots (regardless of how many thousand of feet you park away from anyone else) than there are who just kick the door open without caring about what they hit.

When you cool down a bit, enjoy this:

John
4ocious likes this.

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I have found the true meaning to the word "freedom": 2003 Toyota Highlander daily. I've had it for two years, never washed it. Keep the interior nice and clean. It's comfy, decent on gas and works great for camping. Also, completely invisible to cops. If I ruled the world, every classic car would come with a 15 year old Toyota SUV, then everybody would be happy.

My "happiest" DD days were the two years I had a 2008 Ranger pickup I could drive home. I parked that damn thing right in front of the door wherever I went. I was about the 4th person to have it, so it already had dings and scrapes all over it. I just kept the interior kinda clean and rolled with it.

My biggest issue is I love driving and I want to drive something cool (at least to me) all the time. I grew up below what would be considered the poverty line, parents had rusty *** **** cars all the time, I've worked my way to upper middle class and dammit, I wanna be like the cool kids

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400

Last edited by 65 Pony; 05-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Another vote for paintless dent remover. My wife has used their services. I was very impressed with a palm sized dent they took out of her new Cooper a few years back.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 PM

My paintless dent guy is literally "on retainer" since we have 7 cars.
He could do it easy and perfectly..... even looking at the OP's damage.
He's not in Texas though.
Finding the "right" PDR guy will be the trick. The one I have does high-
end dealer cars and Charlie Sheen's crap. (the latter gets some
lollapalooza damage on his cars, sometimes deservedly so)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM

Nothing chaps my a#% more then someone that does not care about others property. Door dings are at the top of the list. I find myself not taking the mustang out because of idiots that don’t care. It takes me forever to park trying to find the best spot that someone won’t park by me. It drives my wife crazy!
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 PM

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. There's not much worse than driving away from a parking lot only to notice later that the a**clown parked next to you dinged your car. Except (maybe) realizing that your Mustang, which has been garaged parked for 5 months, now has a new, serious ding in the fender which coincidentally happens to be the same height as your wife's SUV. But your wife religiously backs into the garage so that means it was a rear door. The one your two-year-old can now open herself. And how can you yell at such a small, wonderful person who has zero understanding about what she did, or why you care so much about a car? So you just let it go and sadly remind her to wait for mommy to open the door... Hypothetically, of course.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
My daily is a 2016 GT-350
And I thought I was jealous enough of you for that fastback. Man, you're killing it! Your classic, your daily, your name... how lucky can one person get?!

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
. Maybe I need to look in to that whole prius thing.
Um NO !! Abo so fuc king lutely NO excuse for owning one of those !

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Garage
When my wife and I were newlyweds, 1999, she drove my 66 to work and I kept her 97 Cougar home to do all the maintenance and detail. She came home almost sick, on the verge of tears, apologizing, some dingleberry fell off his bicycle while she was stopped at a traffic light, his handlebar scraping a 6 inch gash in the paint and primer right under the passenger door handle. He got up, said, "Sorry," and quickly rode in another direction. She got out and looked immediately but couldn't catch his a$$. I couldn't be mad at her. It's a driver...
I have been door dinged and such a few times but since the car is made of real metal, it doesn't dent, just scuffed the paint. They probably fared worse but don't care.
For years, I've parked uphill from cart returns, next to an island and deep in the spot so the next car is a full door extension away and then some, if there's any cars around at all. I usually take up two spots, often at an angle so there's just no way to park by me.

Door-dingers, here's a big bouquet of Pi$$-on-yas.
♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧
Huntingky likes this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ryan View Post
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. There's not much worse than driving away from a parking lot only to notice later that the a**clown parked next to you dinged your car. Except (maybe) realizing that your Mustang, which has been garaged parked for 5 months, now has a new, serious ding in the fender which coincidentally happens to be the same height as your wife's SUV. But your wife religiously backs into the garage so that means it was a rear door. The one your two-year-old can now open herself. And how can you yell at such a small, wonderful person who has zero understanding about what she did, or why you care so much about a car? So you just let it go and sadly remind her to wait for mommy to open the door... Hypothetically, of course.
My mustang has all original panels (the repops are typically thinner and even easier to work with), if you're pretty sure your fender isn't slathered in thick filler, a PDR works on the old stuff too. I got a couple hail dings in my trunk from the garage door being open during a storm. He got those out, a door ding I didn't even realize was there, and he worked out the "elbow dips" that were on the front fender tops when I got the car and have bothered me ever since I bought it.
66ryan likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
My "happiest" DD days were the two years I had a 2008 Ranger pickup I could drive home. I parked that damn thing right in front of the door wherever I went. I was about the 4th person to have it, so it already had dings and scrapes all over it. I just kept the interior kinda clean and rolled with it.

My biggest issue is I love driving and I want to drive something cool (at least to me) all the time. I grew up below what would be considered the poverty line, parents had rusty *** **** cars all the time, I've worked my way to upper middle class and dammit, I wanna be like the cool kids
LOL....I have fond remembrances of my 90 Ranger 4x4 super cab. It looked good from a distance but had its share of small dings and paint chips. At that time, early 90s, you couldn't hardly find a good used 4x4. This one sat on the lot because it only had the 2.9 V6, everyone wanted the 4.0. I drove that thing everywhere without a care. About a month after I got it, I killed a pretty heavy bodied 8 pointer about 1/2 mile down a grown up logging road. After about 5 minutes of dragging that deer it occurred to me that I bought that truck for a reason. I dropped it in low and muscled my way back there with branches and briers making awful screeching sounds dragging both sides of the truck. It was a great day! Now I cringe when bugs hit my F150 SCREW....sigh

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
My mustang has all original panels (the repops are typically thinner and even easier to work with), if you're pretty sure your fender isn't slathered in thick filler, a PDR works on the old stuff too. I got a couple hail dings in my trunk from the garage door being open during a storm. He got those out, a door ding I didn't even realize was there, and he worked out the "elbow dips" that were on the front fender tops when I got the car and have bothered me ever since I bought it.

I'm 100% the fender has minimal filler in it since it was a repop (most of my car's metal was rusted by the time I got it) and it was primed, filled, and painted by me. I think I'll try the PDR route, thanks! Thankfully she opened it into the upper part of the fender, where it's flat so pulling it might actually work. Worst case scenario I have a reminder of when she was little and something to tease her about when she's older.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

It's good to have a host of like minded car folks to vent to. I texted a pic of it to the girl I'm seeing and she said "oh that's a minor inconvenience". 🙄 Need to find someone who understands.

I've got three other cars I can drive but I'd hate that my fear of other people's stupidity would prevent me from enjoying the car I'm paying to own. Nonetheless I'm still driving it to work and on outings. I refuse to own a garage queen.

Anyways I'm on the hunt for a PDR guy. I'll post the results.
John_Del likes this.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSi View Post

Anyways I'm on the hunt for a PDR guy.

Remember that PDR is part science, part skill, part luck, and part voodoo. Ask around; there are guys who work magic. Usually, new car or high end car dealers have a guy on speed dial. Talk to the dealer that you got the Hellcat from.

Best of luck.

John

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page