Rust Belt Blues - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
A buddy of mine from Green Bay told Brown County switched to beet juice several years ago. At first I thought he was nuts, than he showed me a picture of a similar sign about beet juice.

Out by me in northern Illinois they use a lot of sand on the rural roads to prevent salt poisoning of farm fields.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 PM

I just call it Patina and let it go at that.

Spliffy
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

I bought a John Deere tractor and requested that fluid be put in the rear tires.. a couple years later I was working at a buddies house with my tractor. My buddy came running toward the tractor waving his hands for me to stop. The valve stem had loosened and when I looked at the yellow rim with purple fluid running all over it , it took me a few seconds for me to remember that the dealer said they had put beet juice in the tires because it would not freeze.
Huntingky likes this.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliffy007 View Post
I just call it Patina and let it go at that.
Well, it's only "patina" for a short period of time. Then it becomes missing rockers, holes in the frame, wet floors from cowl leaks ( just like a vintage Mustang !), and collapsed body mounts !!

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:57 PM

I spray my undercarriage with Krown every year. Seems to help a lot with the surface rust that normally forms. Got two new vehicles for my business and prayed one but not the other. After two years the difference was night and day.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
I bought a John Deere tractor and requested that fluid be put in the rear tires.. a couple years later I was working at a buddies house with my tractor. My buddy came running toward the tractor waving his hands for me to stop. The valve stem had loosened and when I looked at the yellow rim with purple fluid running all over it , it took me a few seconds for me to remember that the dealer said they had put beet juice in the tires because it would not freeze.
Same here. I have beet juice in mine, popped a valve stem one time and purple sprayed all over the place.

Advantage to the beet juice is it is non-corrosive compared to the calcium chloride they used to use in wheels. I have seen tractor wheels with patches on top of patches welded on because the stuff would eat right through a wheel in just a couple years. Also, the beet juice provides just a little more weight. In my light New Holland, I need all the ballast I can get.
indygta likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page