2008 Focus Air Bag Issue - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Question 2008 Focus Air Bag Issue

Hi Guys,

Working on a 2008 Focus SES. I have an air bag light on the dash when the pass seat is empty. My Wife sits in the car and the dash light goes out but, the center dash lights up with "Pass Air Bag Off" warning light. Thoughts?? I checked the harness under the pass seat and it is connected. Thinking a sensor but where to look first??

Thanks!!

Last edited by Rebel Racing; 05-12-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking that a front sensor has failed or the pass seat one has gone bad....thoughts??

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Have you done a Google search on the subject on similar Ford cars?

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"I have an air bag light on the dash when the pass seat is empty. My Wife sits in the car and the dash light goes out but..."

Dude, That's 100% Normal, That's supposed to happen and be that way. My 2007 Mustang does the same exact thing....and every other 2005-2009 Mustang that I've ever been in... even though you have a 2008 Ford Focus.

The car is just letting you know that the Passenger side airbag is disengaged because there is no passenger there. It's not a warning light per se, but more of just a "Reminder"... Every damn Modern 2005-2009 Ford does that. It drove me crazy too...until I looked into it... It's 100% Normal. You can go on with life now..

)

Tony K.
4ocious likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"I have an air bag light on the dash when the pass seat is empty. My Wife sits in the car and the dash light goes out but..."

Dude, That's 100% Normal, That's supposed to happen and be that way. My 2007 Mustang does the same exact thing....and every other 2005-2009 Mustang that I've ever been in... even though you have a 2008 Ford Focus.

The car is just letting you know that the Passenger side airbag is disengaged because there is no passenger there. It's not a warning light per se, but more of just a "Reminder"... Every damn Modern 2005-2009 Ford does that. It drove me crazy too...until I looked into it... It's 100% Normal. You can go on with life now..

)

Tony K.
That makes perfect sense but, that is not what happens.............nobody in the pass seat and I get the airbag light in the driver's dash. Put someone in the pass seat and the center console light comes on and the light by the speedo goes off.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenGTconv View Post
Have you done a Google search on the subject on similar Ford cars?
I did and most are referring to a light after a collision.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
Sounds like the module under the seat needs calibrated. This is something that a Ford dealer will have to do. Don't bother replacing it from a junkyard piece, your car won't recognize it.

1968 GT VERT ROYAL MAROON J CODE
OWNED FOR 43 years
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop119 View Post
Sounds like the module under the seat needs calibrated. This is something that a Ford dealer will have to do. Don't bother replacing it from a junkyard piece, your car won't recognize it.
O.K. good to know.....thanks!!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
My 2007 Airbag Warning light comes on when noone is in the passenger seat and goes out when someone is sitting there... I've seen it on other Ford cars of the same years too.. so I don;t know what to tell you..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
I believe Tony is correct, there's nothing wrong. The dash light is to bring attention to you that it is deactivated and the passenger seat is assumed to be vacant. I've seen this on many cars. You should be able to verify this by looking that light up in the owner's manual...

I reconfigured a base '68 coupe a little bit...

Last edited by 4ocious; 05-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
The description in the initial post sounds right to me. Because you did NOT say she buckled her seat belt. The system will not turn the passenger airbag on unless is senses an occupant of appropriate weight (not a baby or your pizzas) AND that occupant is properly buckled in. If she weighs like over 75 pounds and is buckled in properly the "passenger airbag off" light should go out about five seconds after starting the car.

If there's a fault then the main airbag light is suppose to flash and you should get an annoying "ding" chime every so often. It's not uncommon to see fault codes with belt buckle sensors and passenger presence sensors in newer cars. The codes are as easy to read as any other code but you generally have to have a more upscale OBD reader to check SRS functionality. Like starting at hundreds of dollars and up, the $50 ones generally won't do it. Yet.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Humm.....now I am confused (doesn't take much anymore, LOL). I may have not described it correctly the first post. If I am driving alone, within 30 seconds of forward motion, the airbag light will come on in the speedo cluster and stay on. When the Wife comes along and buckles up, the speedo cluster light will NOT light but the center console light will come on saying "Pass Airbag Off". To be honest, I am not really concerned right now BUT, I am going to sell the car next month and I know any prospective buyer will question it--as I would. I was hoping that there is a simple fix.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
The description in the initial post sounds right to me. Because you did NOT say she buckled her seat belt. The system will not turn the passenger airbag on unless is senses an occupant of appropriate weight (not a baby or your pizzas) AND that occupant is properly buckled in. If she weighs like over 75 pounds and is buckled in properly the "passenger airbag off" light should go out about five seconds after starting the car.

If there's a fault then the main airbag light is suppose to flash and you should get an annoying "ding" chime every so often. It's not uncommon to see fault codes with belt buckle sensors and passenger presence sensors in newer cars. The codes are as easy to read as any other code but you generally have to have a more upscale OBD reader to check SRS functionality. Like starting at hundreds of dollars and up, the $50 ones generally won't do it. Yet.
I have a $50 one and used it for fun and of course it showed nothing. A buddy of my Dad runs a shop and although I hate to bug him, I may need to swing by and use their high end scanner to narrow this down.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Do that. It may be something like a seatbelt buckle switch. IE, it recognizes that a person is in the seat but not that they are buckled in. I've seen this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 AM

The passenger seat occupant weight sensor is part of the seat cushion on that model.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page