Solar Hot Water - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Solar Hot Water

Thinking about reducing the electric bill.

Our house was built late 2017, we closed and moved in Feb 2018.

Its well insulated, all the appliances are high efficiency, every light is LED.

We use very little hot water, yet I keep a 40 gal hot water heater at temp 24/7.

Our elec bill runs $110-193 a month for a 1500sf house. Thats pretty inexpensive, but I know we can squeeze a few more bucks out of it.

My thoughts are to peheat the inlet water before it goes into the hot water heater or shut the heater off altogether and rely 100% on solar hot water.

We live in Middle Georgia, so this will work 5-7 months a year. Winters the temp usually stays 40+ but sometimes drops into the teens at night.

Anyone here use solar for hot water? If you do, what type of system?
myfirstcar66 likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
I like this idea for neighboring Alabama.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 AM

I don't use solar for my house but I did build one for my above ground pool. It really makes a difference. I used two 100 foot sections of 3/4 inch black water line, in two tight spirals inside a 4x8 foot frame I built out of 2x4s with 4x8 sheet of plywood backing. Water is T connected off of high pressure sided of pool filter, through the heater and into the pool. Water comes out about 15-20 degrees warmer than it entered. On really sunny days when water is already warm, the water coming out of the heater can burn you. We have toyed around with building a couple of similar units for the roof of the house.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM
Supporting Member

Why not just go with the simple tank-less water heater approach ? You only heat what you use.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
Or solar then tankless.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

The house is all electric. I havent looked a tankless in a couple years, but the electric units had poor reviews.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 AM

If your solar is roof mounted, and you have composition shingles, you will have an added expense when it's time to re-roof. IMO, about the only type roof that I would use to build solar panels on would be a tile or steel roof.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
Water heaters are so well insulated these days it is not an issue.

I had an electric water heater for 15 years until last year. After installing the gas powered heater my electric bill dropped $8/month which is offset by a $3 or $4 gas bill.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
The house is all electric. I havent looked a tankless in a couple years, but the electric units had poor reviews.
You could price having a Propane tank installed, that's what I did for my garage. If the Propane distributor supplys the tank, there may be minimum usage requirements though.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 AM

My friend built a solar water heater.
When it’s running, a electric pump circulates water out is the tank heater, up to the solar heater, and back down to the tank heater. Basically just using the solar heater to help maintain temperature in the tank.
The electric pump is solar powered and temperature controlled. So it only runs when the weather is warm and sunny.
He says it works pretty good.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:33 AM

I have a drain back system. 2 3 by 8 collectors on south facing roof. Differential controller. Soft tank wirh SS heat exchanger. Been running since the 93. Had to replace original heat exchanger and liner in soft tank. I live in Maine so dont get all my hot water from solar. I have a resintance heater in tank and also use a heat pump water heater. Sucks as the company ( Nyle) who made a nice stand alone heat pump that you could install on any tank couldnt get the feds ro approve for rebates so they stopped making them.
Depending on usage Heat pump water heater might be a good option

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by walrus; 05-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 PM

I had one in my house when we bought it. 40gal gas water heater, connected to solar through a heat exchanger and 180 gallons of storage tanks. It worked great in the summer, but made great cold water in the winter. After a pump failed, I gutted the entire system. Now I have 40gal of hot water all the time. I'm sorry, but solar water heating is a terrible idea anymore. Water heaters are so efficient now that there is just no need. The added complexity and maintenance will never be returned in energy savings. OTOH, I left the panels on the roof for now. We've been talking about getting a hot tub, and I think I'm going to work them into the heating circuit somehow.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:42 PM

We went to Greece last september and most everyone there uses solar water heaters there. They work extremely well but they are a solar panel with a hot water tank and a built in heating element.

The heating element is only turned on if there isn't hot water as electricity is quite expensive there. The water from the panels is very hot and their shower valves have the cold and hot pipes coming out of the wall before entering the mixer. So don't touch the hot pipe as it will burn you....

When I talked to a few people there they said they work well all year long and they have a cooler climate than we do here so I don't see why it wouldn't work well here though they are big and bulky.

I would love one of those panels here and the plumbing store I went to had them priced from roughly $500-$1000. Here is a picture of them on the roofs from the apartment we were staying at. To the right you would be able to see the Parthenon..

[IMG][/IMG]
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Im not looking to go 100% solar.

I am looking for a way to reduce my energy usage.

We hear about the New Green Deal in the news nearly every day.

What if every house in America could reduce energy usage by 5% a year?

Except for the 2 low wattage LEDs on either side of my garage door that are on dusk-dawn, every light in my house is LED and motion activated. All appliances are high efficiency. We wash clothes in cold water only. We have lived here 15 months and have never used the dishwasher. Low water landscaping, programmable thermostat, yep we are doing our part.

2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 PM

We couldn't go 15 days without using the dishwasher. Besides it uses less water and electricity than hand washing and does a better job.

We have been increasing our water usage since for years we were paying for water we didn't use. We always used under the minimum billable amount not because we try to save water but because of our normal habits like the better 3/4 is a flight attendant and often on a trip so much less water usage. So we started watering the grass in the summer with city water so we would get our usage to what we were paying for. Course here using more water is a good thing as that water is cleaned and returned to the lake and improves the water quality.

As for those solar water heaters in Greece I really like the very hot water they produce as it's also great for cleaning and washing linens or clothes that can take the heat. If you are just looking to reduce your energy usage for hot water the only real thing you can do is to swap out your water heater for a heat pump unit. They work very well and can be set up to switch to regular elements during high demand if you want. And they also dehumidify and cool your garage for you. Anything else the cost is going to outweigh any energy savings benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page