A Bittersweet Day for Me - Vintage Mustang Forums
 37Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

A Bittersweet Day for Me

After 22 years and 8 months, I have come to my retirement day with the Arizona Department of Corrections. This was a decision that I made about a month ago after some issues at work threatened my ability to continue my employment, so instead I decided to go out on my terms. I'm proud to say that all those years that I've walked the yards, only one time did I ever have to use pepper spray on an inmate, and that was many years ago. I like to believe that my experience and ability to think on my feet kept me and those who worked with me safe from harm. I worked every custodial level from Level 5 (the worst for the worst) down to Level 1, and went home in the same physical condition that I arrived to work. I will be off for two weeks, and then will be back working in an administrative position with ADOC. So as I type this, I am putting on my uniform for the last time, and I think about all those staff I worked with all these years. My proudest moments are when officers came up to me and told me that when they found out they were being reassigned and were going to work with me, their response was "Cool". It doesn't get any better than that.

"Sarge"

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:55 AM

enjoy "retirement". that's a tough job, I have a couple buddy's who work corrections.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM
Supporting Member

Congrats on the retirement. It doesn’t necessarily sound like something you had planned or wanted, but it sounds like you are making a wise decision. I know a job change can be bittersweet, especially after such a lengthy time in the position. I wish you luck. Maybe you will get more time to enjoy your car 😁

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Congrats. 20 years in Corrections is one hell of an achievement. Enjoy the retirement it is well earned.

Andy
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM

You got in on your own terms, you retired on your own terms. Doesn't get any better than that! Enjoy and Congrats! Well deserved!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:05 PM

Congrats Sarge! I bet you have some good stories.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
Congrats Sarge! I bet you have some good stories.
You got that right. I always could see the funny side of stuff going on all my life, and this place was full of them. I'll miss working with the people on the yard, but I'm not going to miss the politics and the BS.
BigKoppa and myfirstcar66 like this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Congratulations! I can well understand how bittersweet it is.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Congrats! Any idea what's next for you?

Spliffy
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
Congratulations on getting out with your sanity and health intact. Not all of us get the chance to do that. LEO across the street from me retired as a Sargent after his 30 years on the force. He could not take retirement doing nothing and has taken on a job working as an auto insurance claims investigator. Another LEO friend of mine just retired two weeks ago and I am watching to see how he handles it. Right now he is enjoying the time off to go hunting in Alabama.

I'm out on disability, did not get to put in my full pull. I got lucky and had long term disability insurance so I'm surviving.

Keep yourself busy one way or another, helps keep you fit and sane. So far, that is what my car is doing for me, though some of its issues are driving me crazy!

David
Ex LEO, Disability Retired Officer for the Federal Courts.
gwstang and myfirstcar66 like this.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 PM

IMO, corrections is the least appreciated jobs in the LEO realm. I've done a lot of contract work in jails and prisons, and most LEO's I've had the pleasure to talk with said the same thing as you. The work is fine. The politics can be unbearable. Privately run jails were the worst to be in. Everyone seemed to be miserable.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
My 40 year hire date anniversary is next March. 39 years in nuclear security from officer to Director of 230 officers. Did a 2 year stint on integration team for merger and now back supporting former staff I fought hard to put in place before I left. 30+ years with many of them, they are family. Letting them stand on their own will be a defining moment in my life. We are recognized as the best in the industry and Iím fiercely proud of them. My retirement will be many things, bittersweet being one of them. I can relate....
gwstang likes this.

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 PM

I embrace change because thats what life is about.

Congrats on a successful career.
66ryan and myfirstcar66 like this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
Whats this "retirement" of which you speak? Sigh
Good luck with it

Brad
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

I'll be off work for the next two weeks. Will spend week one with the grandkids, and then during week two I'll be flying out to Wisconsin to see my Dad, who I haven't seen in 10 years - long story. I will be taking my 16 year old daughter with me to finally meet the grandfather she's never met. After my two weeks are over, I'll be going back to work at the same prison I'm retiring from, but this time in an administrative position. If I manage to hang onto that for 10 years, I'll be pulling another retirement from the state of Arizona! But I know I'm going to be missing the camaraderie of working the yard with a good shift and it's us against everyone else.
Boss5Oh and myfirstcar66 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page