What would you do? Cash from a property - Vintage Mustang Forums
 23Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

What would you do? Cash from a property

The wife and I expect to sell our former residence to the son and his wife. It's been a rental for nearly ten years. They've been in it for two.

We'll net a pretty good bit of dough from it, but not quite $100K. Part of the cash will be used to build a small house in the Philippines. Where would you put the rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Just ask Mr. White aka Heisenberg!!

Joking aside, I assume you will incur some capital gains (we do up here in the great white north), so I would let the dust settle before locking it in a long term investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg money_flipping.jpg (40.8 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
Part of the cash will be used to build a small house in the Philippines.
Why? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen under so many different scenarios I can imagine that I couldn't even list them all.
gwstang, John_Del, gt350sr and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 06-17-2019 at 11:51 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
I'd make a nice dent in my student loans if someone would give me 100k.
gwstang likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Depends on your financial situation.

If you're in a lot of debt (but I'm guessing not) I'd pay that off.

If you're a little behind for whatever age you are in terms of retirement, a 30-50K investment added to what you already have can make some quick gains.

...and you only live once, I'd take 5K or so and have a really fun 10 day vacation somewhere.
gwstang and John_Del like this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Pay off the house you live in ( if you haven't already) No house payment at retirement age is a real plus.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Why? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen under so many different scenarios I can imagine that I couldn't even list them all.
Because my wife, Rose, is from there and owns property there. And her family is there and We'll probably live there, part-time, when we retire.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM

I would consult a financial planner. There will be tax implications. I lived at Clark Air Base in 68-69, I was a kid but have fond memories of the beaches at Subic and the mountains at Baguio.

When we first arrived, we had to live off base. I was cutting through a cafe on my way home one day and the bar tender pointed to a TV and said "Look, Neil Armstrong is stepping on the moon". I will always remember seeing the first moon walk and it was by chance.

Lots of Americans live in the Philippines, for the most part, we like them and they like us. As a kid I remember seeing many portraits of Douglas MacArthur in businesses and homes. They were very pro-American in those days.
69DroptopGT likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium

Last edited by bmcgc; 06-17-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:06 PM

Since it is a rental and not your primary residence the entire profit against your cost basis is subject to income tax and potentially capital gains tax.

I'd be looking at a 1031 exchange. You can the get creative with refi's and get your money right back....
Israel likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Stangger View Post
Since it is a rental and not your primary residence the entire profit against your cost basis is subject to income tax and potentially capital gains tax.

I'd be looking at a 1031 exchange. You can the get creative with refi's and get your money right back....
Any gain above the cost basis will be taxed as long-term capital gain, not income. Good news is thatís likely a 15% tax rate, unless youíre a real baller and in the top tax bracket. If youíre on Medicare Part B, this will count as income and could screw up your premiums in two years. The 1031 exchange is a good idea, but youíd better get going if thatís the plan. There are things called Delaware Statutory Trusts where you can commingle your money with other investors and a manger, so you donít have to deal with the day to day nonsense of being a landlord. Talk with your CPA to determine your taxable gains before making any decisions on what to do with the money. Hopefully youíve been depreciating the property while itís been a rental. Then think about visiting with a Certified Financial Planner. Good luck!
SC Stangger likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 AM

If you would like to talk this though, PM me and Iíll be happy to talk with you. As a CFP, this is my wheelhouse. Iíve gotten so much from this community and Iím glad to be able to help.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
If you do not have investment experience, I'd speak with a financial planner as well as a CPA for the tax implications.

Otherwise, if you have outstanding debt, pay that off. I'm not sure how old you are but, if you're on the younger side (under say, 45) and your mortgage interest rate (if you have one) doesnt suck I would invest it. The ROI will likely outpace your mortgage. If you're on the higher side of age, pay off the house and invest the rest.

But seriously consider talking to an FP (and message @Quicksilver66).
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:16 AM

I would pay the taxes on the windfall and divide the remains into 3 roughly equal portions.

1/3 would go to retirement saving that could be used in the future towards your retirement home expense.
1/3 would go to reducing current debt (if you have any), such as car loans, credit card, etc.
1/3 would go into "current lifestyle" to buy furniture, appliances, take a vacation, etc.

I actually think that last one is really important, because none of us came with a warranty. I'm not a "spend it all" as soon as you get it by any means, but I'm also not saving it ALL for that mythical day when I RETIRE and can DO ANYTHING. I've seen too many friends not make it to that date. I've seen others make it to that date, but their health is so poor they can't get out and do what they dreamed of doing.

So....that's what I would do.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 PM

Economics is a fascinating subject to me.

More later.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Seriously guys, CPA - Lets get real; I would start with a 408 and dual exhaust, dial in the suspension, cool rims with sticky tires - cool seats, fun steering wheel and rumble mufflers - then take that rig on the road...

...pay off loans - SHEEEESH... I don't come here for sensible advice, lets rumble!
Quicksilver66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page