Gas Monkey Build For Chad McQueen - Vintage Mustang Forums
 13Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Gas Monkey Build For Chad McQueen

I know not everyone is a fan of Gas Monkey but this episode might be worth watching. Planning a Bullitt build and recreation of chase seen for Chad

https://www.facebook.com/GasMonkeyGa...8014363313133/
68Hildago likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 AM

That guy is still around?

I figured he would be bankrupt and living on a park bench by now nursing a pint of Old GrandDad.
TheRktmn likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 AM

There's a 'Richard Rawlings Garage' bar? Grill? Restaurant? over in Harker Heights.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wEXoECAoQCw

Shut down suddenly last March. Another bankruptcy?

One trip to his garage in Dallas was enough for me - a souvenir store with no price tags and extremely rude people quoting crazy high prices and a bunch of cars he had 'sold' on the TV show collecting dirt and bird crap in the fenced parking lot.

Bob

Contact and business info removed to comply with new management ad rules.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 PM

2 hour episode to restore the 68? Sounds somewhat boring.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I'll watch... just to see Chad...

Years ago (about 10-12?) Gateway Mustang built Chad a Modern '68 Bullitt recreation...basically a BULLITT lookalike but with Modern Parts... I think CHAD auctioned it off in a Charity event.. Not exactly an "exact Replica"...

From the RR Video.. It looks like a "more correct" car....and a much better Replica....Should be interesting...

)

Tony K.
Huntingky likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Its always funny when cash crosses paths with white trash.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...illionquestion
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business...508058992.html

Never a fan but I might seek out those episodes to remind me why.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 PM

Remember who to thank next time a guy is selling junk for 15k and says its a steal because Gas Monkey sold one not as nice for 20k.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
That guy is still around?

I figured he would be bankrupt and living on a park bench by now nursing a pint of Old GrandDad.
I'm no fan of Gas Monkey either but he's got two shows, was responsible for getting a third green lit, a couple of bar/resturants (used to have three, one closed), tequila and energy drink. Gas Monkey's biggest revenue driver isn't custom builds (that's mostly for TV) it's the flips he does. His net worth is reported to be $20 million. With that kind of dough you could buy a lot Old Grand Dad...
Huntingky, 65 Pony and xj220 like this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Gas Monkey I think has the possibility of becoming a decent show now. Iíve just seen a few commercials about the new show thatís all. However the McQueen Mustang build looks like a more credible built. Aaron was the guy with all the wacky ideas or at least most of them. Thatís what killed the show. Dare I say it may become more like Steve Stropeís Pure Vision?

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM

I hate to say this, because I liked a lot of what Aaron did, but I haven't even watched the new season of Aaron's show because the last season bored the pissed out of me. I had to force myself to watching thinking it will get better...

I'll definitely be watching the new season of Fast and Loud. You have to realize these guys "play a role" to make it more interesting. I actually like Jason? The dude that kind of took over, he seems to really enjoy building the cars and making sure they come out right. Now if they would just eliminate all the crap about the fake deadlines...

Also, Jason has mentioned a ton of times Mustangs are his favorite classic car, so I'm sure he helped make sure this one came out good.
fordguy, Huntingky, Mr.E and 1 others like this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1967 Firebird 400

Last edited by 65 Pony; 06-24-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
I hate to say this, because I liked a lot of what Aaron did, but I haven't even watched the new season of Aaron's show because the last season bored the pissed out of me. I had to force myself to watching thinking it will get better...

I'll definitely be watching the new season of Fast and Loud. You have to realize these guys "play a role" to make it more interesting. I actually like Jason? The dude that kind of took over, he seems to really enjoy building the cars and making sure they come out right. Now if they would just eliminate all the crap about the fake deadlines...

Also, Jason has mentioned a ton of times Mustangs are his favorite classic car, so I'm sure he helped make sure this one came out good.
I really wanted to like Aarons show too. the scout build was cool and the only one I enjoyed. the rest put me to sleep.

fast n loud is hit or miss for me.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

I thought tonight was the build so I tuned in to fast and loud. I soon realized the Bullitt build will be next week. I had to stop watching tonight’s episode. I just find the show to be awful. How did this guy get his own show? I’ll watch next week because of the car he is building but if not for that I wouldn’t watch. The show is unbearable 75% of the time

67 Fastback S Code, Brittany Blue

Work in progress
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Dare I say it may become more like Steve Strope’s Pure Vision?
I don't know about that. Rawlings makes the money in car flipping and now selling swag and trinkets. According to Kaufman the guys at Gas Monkey building the TV cars pretty much just do the TV cars. I see Gas Monkey being to cars like American Chopper was to bikes in that it's more about the TV show than the product. Strope is a real builder with some cred and chops. Even though he doesn't do his own paint/body and upholstery in house (he designs it though) I see him more as a Kindig, Coddington or even Foose.

One of the newer shows that's featuring real customer builds that aren't stupid expensive is Justin Nickols' shop in Watseka, IL. The show is called Wrench'd. Small place in a small town with a small but talented crew. I don't even know if all the crew is full time. They're sensible about what's spent on the builds, they fab a ton of it in house, lots of metal work. A lot of his creative choices aren't my cup of tea but then I'm old enough to be his dad and his customers love the work.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com

Last edited by vegasloki; 07-02-2019 at 01:37 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM

Garage
I like to watch Ian on Full Custom Garage. Big goofy, bald, laid back cat who just does whatever he wants to do. No wonder I can relate......
Huntingky and vegasloki like this.

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russstang View Post
I like to watch Ian on Full Custom Garage. Big goofy, bald, laid back cat who just does whatever he wants to do. No wonder I can relate......
I can't stand his show... I just can't get into his personality.

I'll go against the grain and say that I actually liked F&L when Aaron was on the show. Since then, it seems pretty over the top. Aaron's new show is just OK. I did like the Scout build and his build for the Race of Gentleman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page