Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   General Discussion (Non-Vintage Mustang) (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/general-discussion-non-vintage-mustang/)
-   -   Cobra crashed today at the London Show (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/general-discussion-non-vintage-mustang/1159438-cobra-crashed-today-london-show.html)

spliffy007 06-22-2019 03:49 PM

Cobra crashed today at the London Show

I went to the London Cobra Show today, in London, OH. The Cobras do drives with passengers for a charity. They block off Main St. and let them do 1/4 mile runs. I just arrived and walked around the corner at the end of the street and saw a Cobra getting loaded on a flatbed in the middle of the street. I talked to a guy that was watching the runs and he said the driver lost control, over-corrected and took out a tree.

I did an internet search and found this:

cobra94svt 06-22-2019 03:50 PM

Ouch. That was expensive if it was real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastang68 06-22-2019 05:21 PM

Dang he sure did take out a tree! No kidding. Ouch!

65Les 06-22-2019 05:39 PM

Glad there wasn't anybody standing there!

LeeFred 06-22-2019 06:28 PM

The guy at the starting line didn't forget to put the cone up before he left to go help.

NEFaurora 06-22-2019 07:44 PM

Can you say Kit Car..

Would like to see the damage anyway..

I respect Cobra Kit cars.... I wouldn't mind having one someday...

:o)

Tony K.

patrickstapler 06-22-2019 08:13 PM

I bet that wonít be happening next year...or the year after...

1ofAMillion+ 06-22-2019 08:54 PM

Slow hands and a tight LSD.

Fishfreq 06-22-2019 09:22 PM

The straight-line double or triple fishtail wipeout

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ (Post 10185026)
Slow hands and a tight LSD.

Who else has done this? Talk to me, because I've got experience in this, and not the good kind. Hasn't happened while I was driving, knock on wood, but been passenger in two accidents exactly like this. Hmm, wait, ok, one time I did a little one of these and bumped up over a curb doing and wrecked one rim, Lol. Guess I'm trying to forget that one. Okay 3 times I've experienced this!!

I'll agree, the slow hands part, in one higher speed straight line spin-out in about a 550 hp Corvette C6, early on as the back end kicked out the first time my brain thought 'he's a fraction of a second late (slow)...', and then he over-corrected and the car whipped the opposite way, then there was no stopping the 40-50 mph slide-out, up a curb into a light pole on MY side of the car, and let me tell you, I remember those seconds in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n as I saw the car sliding towards the pole, I'm calculating, 'looks like that pole is gonna cut this car, and my legs, in half!!!'

Lucky for me, the break-away bolts holding the pole to the concrete did their job and the pole broke off and went right over the top of the 'vette. No humans were harmed other than glass shards in my hair and down my shirt, and pants.

Anyhow, when you say 'tight LSD', do you mean it's tight and NOT keeping the weighted outside tire driving (during the slide)? Or do you mean it's tight and NOT allowing the power to transfer to the inside unweighted, or less weighted tire?

Asking because I tried studying up on this, the science behind this, the 'straight-line double or triple fishtail wipeout' and ways to prevent it AGAIN, I like to learn from mine and other people's mistakes, and virtually found nothing to study.

I've driven spooled cars with slicks or solid-axle race carts, and with no differential, cornering, drifting, sliding was easy-peasy, and totally confidence inspiring. On the street with open or LSD's, not so fun sliding. Would a Detroit locker be better? What gives? Or doesn't give...?

69GT350H 06-22-2019 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think that guy at the tree pushed my car over.

alex1965 06-23-2019 01:10 PM

Ouch, that hurts to watch. Hope they're all okay.

spliffy007 06-23-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickstapler (Post 10185014)
I bet that wonít be happening next year...or the year after...

Actually, they were back at it after the car was removed and a safety briefing for the drivers. They still had at least 50 people in line for a ride.

1ofAMillion+ 06-23-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishfreq (Post 10185034)

Anyhow, when you say 'tight LSD', do you mean it's tight and NOT keeping the weighted outside tire driving (during the slide)? Or do you mean it's tight and NOT allowing the power to transfer to the inside unweighted, or less weighted tire?

I mean tight as in it wanting to keep either drive wheel equal reducing steering ability, causing a plow in the front. Just one factor though. The fishtail effect being the rear wants to go forward but the front is in the way so it tries to go to one side or the other to get around the front, If you're crooked and the rear gets major traction while cockeyed it snaps similar to too much rear brake bias. Then there is the weight transferring to the front with the throttle snapping closed, as seen in this video at the end of the first wiggle he gets full out of it end but the wheels are still spinning fast enough to want to pass the front=snap over steer. (snap over steer also being possible from weight transfer without spinning tires)

Not saying I could have saved it since I've never had such a P/W ratio car but I know not to let it get that far out at anything above a crawl speed. I have nearly done the same thing many many times in the wet or purposefully drifting in a slow corner.
Throttle modulation is the key in my mind, either let it go full donut at slow speed or have nearly full traction quicker(or a weak/open diff). That and practicing in a wide area without witnesses because every car is different :grin2:

spliffy007 06-23-2019 04:52 PM

I found another video.

1ofAMillion+ 06-23-2019 05:38 PM

i cant tell- Is he using throttle as an on/off switch or did he shift into 2nd?