1998 F-150 radio replacement - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

1998 F-150 radio replacement

The radio in my truck won't work. If I push hard on the display port the clock will briefly display then go out again. If I buy a used radio from ebay, will it work or is there some kind of security hardware/software that will make a direct swap problematic? The current unit is am/fm cassette only and I think that's all the harness will support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Garage
The factory radio is easy to come out with the proper tool that goes in the two holes on each side, another Ford radio is basically a direct replacement but there are aftermarket radios that are excellent as well and easy to plug and play with the adapters that are for sale. A lot of us have added one with a touch screen for use with a backup camera.

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console

'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory Air Conditioning •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I have already removed the unit and have checked for power, which is present.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Garage
The factory harness will plug into the main port for almost any Ford radio of the era and is easily adapted to a modern radio using one of the off the shelf kits. If you were to get a radio that had CD or an auxiliary input but came out of a 97 - 2007 truck it will probably go right in and there might be a second port on the newer radio that is for additional speakers Etc
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I'm in the camp of touchscreen, GPS, and those type toys. But for a straightforward swap you want a "double DIN" from a truck, SUV, Ranger, or van, from around the same era. There are two kinds though, some Expeditions and such have "Premium Sound" which makes one of the two plugins different. Those are meant for more speakers, an external amp, and/or a subwoofer. Most Lincolns got those. Avoid them, they are pretty easy to spot as you plug-ins are simply reverse images of each other while the Premium ones only have one of those plugs where the other(s) are little squares.

A salvage yard or Car-Part.com should be able to fix you up with a replacement pretty cheap. These days where everyone wants Bluetooth and such, something for 20 year old basic truck tunes should be easy to find reasonably priced.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Call Crutchfield.
They can supply you with a complete kit, including any bezels you need and a plug and play harness connector. You can add Bluetooth to it along with any other options you want.
It's probably cheaper than buying a used OEM stereo.

Tim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Local to me you can buy a used exact replacement AM/FM/Cassette for $30 listed retail price and be done with it. IF that's what you want. Car-part.com is your friend there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I've had the truck for 11 years. Bought it with 172K and it now has 192K. I hardly use Oscar at all. He's basically the community truck. So $30 sounds like a winner. I'm more concerned about having a clock really and, why is it suddenly losing freon?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Around $100 will buy you a double din that is hands free.

Handy if you live in a hands free state.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gyp. $49 with shipping. Just arrived. Plug and play. And, the driver's door speaker that hasn't worked since I got the truck, now works Score!!

As an aside; Called a local salvage yard which a website search indicated had a replacement part. I called and the guy says, "yeah, you pull it, $75."
This, for a 20-year-old am/fm/cassette! Why couldn't the guy do himself a favor and do a quick search while he had me on hold, and price the thing $10 above the internet price? This old-school thinking is hurting these businesses and they don't even think about it, I guess. I mean, he could have picked up $40 bucks from me instead of the $0 that he got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page