Owning Trailer VS U-Haul VS AAA - Vintage Mustang Forums
 23Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Owning Trailer VS U-Haul VS AAA

So I'm wanting to attend some track events further from home and was considering buying an aluminum trailer $5000, or renting a U-Haul trailer for the weekend $125, or getting an $85 AAA plus membership that includes up to 4 tows of up to 100 miles a year. The Tire Rack track in South Bend is 60 miles from home, the Grissom Areoplex is 80 miles from my house and GingerMan Raceway is 95 miles.

This getting older and wiser thing is alright sometimes!
gwstang and GearHeadPeter like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 PM

U Haul trailers are usually heavy for what they are and can be difficult. AAA may have a mileage limit around their hubs and may not respond if beyond their limit. A $5K trailer is a bunch of money, but if you take care of it and don't loan it out to anyone regardless of their relationship, it will last a long time.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
U Haul trailers are usually heavy for what they are and can be difficult. AAA may have a mileage limit around their hubs and may not respond if beyond their limit. A $5K trailer is a bunch of money, but if you take care of it and don't loan it out to anyone regardless of their relationship, it will last a long time.
I grilled the AAA agents a few times and was assured I was covered. I don't ever want to own a trailer again because as in the past I will be guilted into lending it out and having it returned damaged. I am trying to downsize and will hopefully be in a house soon unable to store a trailer. Not that I don't know a bunch of people willing to store it for me, sigh. I always get the super extended warranty on the wife's new cars and never need it. Hopefully the AAA membership will be the same!

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I grilled the AAA agents a few times and was assured I was covered. I don't ever want to own a trailer again because as in the past I will be guilted into lending it out and having it returned damaged. I am trying to downsize and will hopefully be in a house soon unable to store a trailer. Not that I don't know a bunch of people willing to store it for me, sigh. I always get the super extended warranty on the wife's new cars and never need it. Hopefully the AAA membership will be the same!
I used to loan mine but required a $50 deposit. That usually went to replace the trailer tail lights that came back busted.
gwstang likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
I have found that owning the trailer is way better than renting. Itís like everything else, you will find way more uses for it when you have it than not. I havenít gotten to that point with a truck yet. Although the 2019 F250 I just rented for a week was super nice.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

I used the u-haul many times before i bought a trailer. I haul a lot and haul big pickups that dont fit on a u-haul. Owning a trailer can be a good thing but you also have to put tires on, check brakes, grease wheel bearings and have a place to store it. Some towns dont allow trailers at home. If I were just gonna do what you are doing i'd rent the u-haul. No maintenance,no having to store it. Just call and reserve it for when you need it.

supershifter2ô < !
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I used to loan mine but required a $50 deposit. That usually went to replace the trailer tail lights that came back busted.
Yea! and fenders and wiring harnesses that snapped midway under the trailer! I've been in construction for almost 40 years and know the drill. I'm older and wiser, I think?)
It's a one year commitment, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Nailbender; 07-11-2019 at 10:15 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:20 PM

When my son moved from Ohio to Florida a couple of years ago, he rented a Penske truck and car trailer. All went well except the deck height of the trailer in relation to the trailer fenders required crawling thru the window to enter or exit the car while on the trailer. Not enough room to open the door. PITA. His car is a '95 Mustang GT. Dave R.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Garage
unless your going to switch to non DOT tires for track which I could see being a hassle at the track I'd just drive it
I'm cheap don't have a truck or a trailer , but rather enjoy the 50+ mile drive to get to autox events

Brad
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
unless your going to switch to non DOT tires for track which I could see being a hassle at the track I'd just drive it
I'm cheap don't have a truck or a trailer , but rather enjoy the 50+ mile drive to get to autox events
That doesnít necessarily work when tracks are 3-12 hours away.
Sparky66 likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:29 PM

Well if you don't have a trailer of some sort I would say buy the aluminum one. I have a 5x10 utility trailer that is really handy, nice pipe rails a ramp which I detest though. One drawback is going to be the yearly registration fee. Mine isn't bad as it's $65 a year but a heavier trailer would be around $85 and require a yearly inspection.

One day after unloading something I asked LOML if she wanted to back the car in the garage or take the trailer around back to the shop where I park it..... She said she would take the trailer... I move my trailer with the mower and I have a tow bar which is pretty much like a towbar for an airplane but it has two wheels and the jack seats in it. So as you can imagine that extra link is handy but takes some getting used to when turning. Well I walked to the shop and waited. She was taking too long so I started heading back. I saw her start moving again. Well she turned too sharp and ran the fender into the side of daughters car... Bent the fender scratched up the paint etc. Oh and there was some damage to the car including a small spot of torn steel but it's a Nissan Versa with 60K and it's seccond transmission so it doesn't have long to live...

She keeps wanting to fix the trailer but I haven't as everytime we use the trailer or are by the shop I mention it or I look at the damage and make her feel bad... Then she says she will buy whatever I need to fix it...
gwstang likes this.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
That doesn’t necessarily work when tracks are 3-12 hours away.
Our very own @Huskinhano has a trailer but elected to drive his 66 2 hours each way to WGI from his home a few times ,with a 4 speed no less
But yeah 3 or more hours might be a different thing
Huskinhano and gwstang like this.

Brad
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM

I've almost always had a truck (F150) that can tow. Note UHaul won't rent a car trailer to just anyone unless they see/know you have an "approved" tow vehicle. Also renting, the hassle of reserving one ahead of time so that UHaul dealer has one in stock. Then the pick up & drop off hassle. Been there, done all that several times, before owning my own. Plus a UHaul car trailer very short, car can hang over back edge, not a fan.
Owning a car trailer isn't for everyone, depends on what you're into. I own a 18' open deck & a 20' enclosed. After renting, borrowing them several times, I bought a used 18' open deck I use few times a year. I only let either my son or a close friend borrow as they bought own truck and can use properly. Otherwise me and my trailer get "rented out" as a package deal. This just happened last weekend, a friend paid me $200 to go get a car he just bought.

I first bought my enclosed when my 67 was under restoration and needed to get shell back and forth to shops in any weather. Now use to store my car in it during winter, summer my brother in-law stores his Shelby.
As for my 18' open deck all steel but only 1,800 lbs. kept painted looks great. Only paid $1,500. I understand reason for an aluminum, if you have the $$$ to buy it. To haul my finished car, open deck fine, cheaper, and with car on trailer I can clean under car when I want. My open deck Anderson, fenders are strong diamond plate and low enough I can open doors no problem. If you have a trailer and need a bit more door clearance, bolt a ratchet strap track system to deck, this will raise car height a bit to help doors clear.

As for maintenance, for me not a big deal, like oil changes, I've always done my own, don't trust others with my valuable car on a rented trailer as much.
After initial maintenance of new radial trailer tires (I keep wheel covers on), service electric brakes, check lights, I just grease and inspect once a year, couple hours - done. Both my trailer are well made and cared for, lights recessed hard to damage. There when I need then w/o the hassle.

So if are considering a trailer, it doesn't have to cost $5k. Review options.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>

Last edited by sixtysevenGTconv; 07-11-2019 at 11:00 PM.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 PM

For $5k you can get a great trailer. I've got an 18' Carson and had Pace enclosed trailers in the past. I rarely use mine these days it just sits in storage. That's the bizznatch of owning a trailer. Storing it. That said the last two long trips I took, getting the Mustang from Dad's place and selling the last race car I rented a U-Haul.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:27 PM

Garage
I have two depending on the usage. The 18' open is super easy to tow and rides very nice. The 24' enclosed keeps the car clean and protected, but needs the big truck to pull it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelbyhauler.jpg (158.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg trailer30_n.jpg (103.2 KB, 6 views)

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page