How much is a 67 fastback VIN worth these days? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 AM

Thats not how I read his post. A coupe to fastback conversion or repair panels are all legit. Its when you transfer a vin and make it appear as if the vin is original to the panel that is a problem. Its also a problem if you cut out a vin and replace it with a different vin. Again, IMO its the intent. Vins are there for a reason.

IMO, when doing anything with a vin, contact your state DMV for guidance. Yes, you will probably get different answers from different people or different answers from the same person on different days. I see that here in Georgia all the time.

What if I had a badly wrecked K-code or original GT350 and I transfered the front end, driver door and associated parts to a T-code. Is it a legit repair or deception?

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium

Last edited by bmcgc; 07-14-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
..... you'd have $50K invested and '67 Fastbacks aren't selling that high.
As another data point, the nice ones have been selling north of $50K , and have been for several years.
1ofAMillion+ likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Yes, I have repaired vehicles involving moving the VIN in Texas, and yes, worked the the DPS, and yes, no problem of cutting and welding. They wanted to see both titles, showed the parts were the same, and no issue at all.

Using the same concept:

The fastback shown was a 67, and if one replaced front frame rails, shock towers, front and rear aprons, core support etc., basically the front clip: VIN issue ?

But if it would have been a 1968, replacing the same thing would have no impact on the VIN area, but it is the exact same parts? Logic

What about putting a 1968 front clip on a 1967 ? What then, no VIN anywhere?

What about putting a 1967 clip on a 1968: Dueling VIN's? Is the front clip the "car" in 1967 and the "dash area" the car in 1968 ? If the 67 was a GT350 and the 68 was a GT500, would the merger be a GT150, GT425, or GT850?

Then, if you want to go off into the weeds, there are 3 cars, all legitimately titled, all with the same factory stamped VIN, which started off life as a single car, but were not titled in the same state.

We have had the discussion before, and most people quote opinion or thoughts, few have ever repaired a vehicle and gotten guidance from the state title office, DPS for Texas.

Where does it end?

Replacing everything in front of the VIN stamp: No issue.?

Replacing everything behind the VIN stamp? No issue

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
What if I had a badly wrecked K-code or original GT350 and I transfered the front end, driver door and associated parts to a T-code. Is it a legit repair or deception?
Legal. It's collision repair. As others have said keeping the VIN is required and your state DMV will let you know how to do that. That said unless you tracked down a bunch of dated coded parts and restored it to day one standards it's not going to be a pedigreed car. If it even was in the first place. As others have said if you charge for good parts and labor you'll have too much into it to sell it and not take a beating. At that point it's probably best to sell it as a tribute but you'd still take a beating. In this case I'd rather spend $20k on a roller with the original cores and start from there. And I'd still probably take a beating if the goal was to sell. Someone that knows is going to pass on this one and someone that doesn't isn't likely going to be able to finish it.

Wonder who bought it and for how much? Using it as a back half on a coupe as a clone seems to be the most reasonable use but for that shell the asking price was a bit steep.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page