Picked up another vintage Ford - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 16Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

One of the biggest issues is trying to pull weight with the drawbar too high, it needs to be down as low as it can be. And they weren't really made for slopes.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have hundreds of hours on these things, I've popped the nose off the ground a few times (not on purpose), it's almost "too easy" to do.
gwstang likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Love the looks of those Golden Jubilees, had to be one of the prettiest tractors ever built. Dad has on old 8N that still gets used for plowing and grading. Once I finish the Mustang, that 8N will be my next project. Complete restoration.

As has been mentioned, there are definitely some safety issues with old tractors, non-live PTO is one of them. With modern live PTO, you push in the clutch and the tractor will come to a stop, independent of the implement. With those old tractors though, you push in the clutch and although you have effectively disconnected the engine from the drive train, the implement is still connected. A bush hog has a huge flywheel with enough built up energy, it can push a tractor right through a fence or into a pond before it coasts down. Many fences, trees, barns...and people have been damaged when someone hit the clutch and brake and the implement pushed the tractor ahead.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
Nice- I too have my Grandfathers 2N- (9N was first, then 2 N, then 8N for non tractor ppl) Mine is all original and I use occasionally for box bladeing, or light duty stuff. Its useful and is very inexpensive to run/work on. Mine even has the manual start feature (but I have been warned by old timers not to try this unless you want to risk breaking a finger/hand/wrist. Still I enjoy the old 6 volt start- the very quiet sound of the engine.

One should be mindful- there are minimal safety features on these old tractors. We are in a rural area and every year someone is killed by one.- its not the tractors fault- but just be aware. I know everyone here has some sense, but in case grandkids wanna play with it or on it
I think It was 1939/1942/1948 in that succession. Yes I have read about a bunch of old guys trying to hand crank their N and breaking an arm etc. Even though they are a low compression engine, I guess it could kick back on you. I purposefully looked for an 8N with the side-mount distributor. Easier to work on points etc. Mine had the neutral safety button disabled. That will get someone run over while cranking on the ground...if in gear. Gotten lots of folks over the years. I fixed it. I have read so many stories of kids riding with grandpa and falling off and going under a bush hog or such. Not a good idea at all. Mine is relegated to a 5' bush hog brand finishing mower and it works perfect with that.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Pony View Post
One of the biggest issues is trying to pull weight with the drawbar too high, it needs to be down as low as it can be. And they weren't really made for slopes.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have hundreds of hours on these things, I've popped the nose off the ground a few times (not on purpose), it's almost "too easy" to do.
One thing I did since mine is just a mower now...I put trailer rims and car tires on the front. I love it that way. Wide tires do not dig in when turning or if the ground is a little wet. They just glide over the ground.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
car tires on the front.
Well, I learned something today. I've seen that done and until now never even considered exactly why. I totally get it, it's like "turf" tires on riding mowers. I can imagine they would indeed be a whole lot easier on your yard than the old skinny ribs.
gwstang likes this.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Great looking Jubilee. These old tractors are still workhorses and very useful to have around. I dabble with the 50's era Ford tractors along with Mustangs. I have a couple of vintage Ford tractors with 50's era 4wd conversions. One is a major project 1958 Ford 841 with Elenco front wheel assist, and the other is a 1955 Ford 860 with Sherman Napco front wheel assist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190504_173919.jpg (649.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180929_161613.jpg (410.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page