PA Title Issue - 1953 Truck - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

PA Title Issue - 1953 Truck

Finally got my aunt to get everything lined up to transfer the title on my 1953 International R112. I am in Pennsylvania. 2 issues with what I received back. 1) They spelled my name wrong. No biggie should be an easy fix. 2) The title and registration have the truck down as a 1967. THIS NOT GOOD! I called them about something a few months ago and they said they purged this record out of their system years ago because it had been so long since it was registered.

From what I have seen online over the past few years PA seems to be more strict with these older vehicles and getting them registered. I would like to know how you would go about doing this. I don't want to open up a can of worms. Unfortunately I didn't make copies of the original title but I do remember the registration card that was in the truck said 1957 on it. I read somewhere that back in those days that could have been when the truck was sold, but seems odd it wouldn't get sold for 4 years. This model of truck was only built from 1953-1955.

I would like to be prepared when I call or go to PA DOT. I am going to try and find a reputable source to get details based on the VIN. I would at least like to provide these details with a picture of the VIN on the truck. Anything else you think I should do?

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
3.55 Limited Slip Detroit TrueTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Here in Texas we have Auto Theft Task Force representatives who are Sheriff's Dept officers. In my rural area this guy covers several counties and he comes to the local auto registration office every Tuesday. I'd find out if you have something like this in PA. This guy will know more about title problems than the girls in the registration office.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I think I will start with the notary that transferred my Mustang that I bought out of state. They knew what they were doing.

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
3.55 Limited Slip Detroit TrueTrac

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM

I'm in PA also. I'd suggest finding a local independent tag and title. The guy by me is really great on the ins and outs.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
In the arcane trivia department, many decades ago, California registered vehicles by engine block serial number. When an engine was replaced, the title was amended by DMV to reflect the new engine number. At some point, a bureaucrat recognized that the frame number was a more permanent identifier for most vehicles and the standard changed and eventually the frame serial number became the VIN and the engine serial number gradually disappeared from DMV records except for motorcycles. Not sure what PA does.

Getting back to the OP, is the VIN on your new paperwork anywhere on the truck? If not, what is the VIN on the truck? Is it possible that your aunt accidentally gave you the paperwork for a different vehicle?

As to year model on DMV paperwork, at one time California title contained a notation to the effect that year model designation is based on manufacturer data which meant that typically the selling new car dealer who submits the original paperwork for title and registration filled out the forms so clerical errors were possible. If the VIN protocol for your old truck contains a character for year model (like the 1st character in a Ford VIN) it should be possible to verify the stamped VIN and have that number corrected on the title without an act of Congress.

Correcting the spelling of your name should be a simple process.

Lastly, for a fee you should be able to secure photocopies of the old documents you surrendered to your DMV in order to get the current title to confirm what the "old" paperwork described.

Good Luck and let us know how this turns out.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page