Confirm my duraspark conversion components - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By coupster

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Confirm my duraspark conversion components

So I plan on installing 94 roller 351w in my 68 coup. I will be needing new ignition. I plan to use duraspark 2 set up. My question is about components. 1) Are all the blue grommet modules the ds2 set up? I mean there isn't a blue ds1 is there? 2) all ds2 distributors are interchangeable? I could not find any for car (like a 84 crown vic) but easily find for trucks. I know about the gear swap, and spring rate on advance will need modification, but electrically will work, right? 3) building my own harness. Is the plug on the module the 2 wire (red and white wire) the same plug as the distributor plug? Looks same from pics but.... In other words do I need to order 2 of the D shaped plug and 1 of the 4 wire plug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Yes, the blue grommet module is for DSII.
Yes, a DSII distributor from any 351W will fit.
I'm not exactly sure which connectors you need. Maybe this photo will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 351W DSII setup.jpg (56.4 KB, 71 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Garage
Here is how I wired mine. I mounted the module up above my glovebox so I didn't need to have it under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg durasparkfinal-692x450.jpg (49.0 KB, 9 views)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:08 PM

Duraspark-I is a green (or black grommet) box in general. There also is a red grommet California only box. (DSII)
Neither of these are quite on par with the reliability of the DSII blue grommet box.

Unlike DSII ignition modules, the Duraspark I module didn't control charging of the coil in a conventional
manner. The Duraspark I module used dynamic dwell (the box constantly adjusted dwell based on current
flow in the coil's primary circuit, independent of engine rpm). Considered superior in firing either extremely
lean or rich mixtures, Duraspark I has fans on both sides of the fence..... mainly in reliability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IgnitionSystems_zps0cf8e2a7.jpg (166.3 KB, 10 views)

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Duraspark-I is a green (or black grommet) box in general. There also is a red grommet California only box. (DSII)
Neither of these are quite on par with the reliability of the DSII blue grommet box.

Unlike DSII ignition modules, the Duraspark I module didn't control charging of the coil in a conventional
manner. The Duraspark I module used dynamic dwell (the box constantly adjusted dwell based on current
flow in the coil's primary circuit, independent of engine rpm). Considered superior in firing either extremely
lean or rich mixtures, Duraspark I has fans on both sides of the fence..... mainly in reliability.
your chart doesn't include the Yellow grommet box

Brad
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 AM

Stole the chart from someone in cyberland.

Yellow grommet is 1979-91 Altitude compensation
There are a few other colors too.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
Make your own harness, but skip the plugs made to fit the box and dizzy. Instead use 4 flat trailer plugs. I attach a male end to box, female end to dizzy, the get a pre-made trailer plug extension in the length you need.
66coupe289 likes this.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Look through RockAuto dizzy's for later 5.8s and you'll see some with steel gears, trucks, Broncos or vans so you won't have to mess with changing the gear. They are all going to have weights and springs for a curve for a heavy vehicle so i would check into getting it curved professionally before its ever even installed for one less thing to wonder about.

I ditched the connectors with my red tab box and used the trailer harness plugs, once the wires are covered it looks slicker than those dangle balls.. The OE plugs might be guess work, they all look alike but can be slightly different in orientation for reasons undiscovered by me. I took a bunch from the junkyard and the M/F parts didn't always align right and after a couple broke in my hands they all went in the garbage.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupster View Post
Make your own harness, but skip the plugs made to fit the box and dizzy. Instead use 4 flat trailer plugs. I attach a male end to box, female end to dizzy, the get a pre-made trailer plug extension in the length you need.
I like that idea. I HATE disconnecting the factory plugs.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Gt289, thanks for chart! Loving the flat connector idea! 1ofamillion, looking for what you refer to but not sure how you got there. Rock auto website automatically asks a year. As far as I know, ds2 and roller cam 351 did not coexist. The distributor for the 94 roller cam is not a ds2.... I don't think....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
You are correct. Duraspark 351W distributors ceased to exist circa 1986 and roller cams didn't debut in 351W's(5.8's) until 1994. If you come across one dirt cheap like I did you can rob the gear from a 1994 up distributor and install it on and earlier distributor. It's tricky to do but possible, I've done it. Most people opt to just purchase a new correct style gear, which is I am sure the better choice.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
I have some cars. With a long list of parts on them that if anyone was interested in, they'd ask.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile68stang View Post
Gt289, thanks for chart! Loving the flat connector idea! 1ofamillion, looking for what you refer to but not sure how you got there. Rock auto website automatically asks a year. As far as I know, ds2 and roller cam 351 did not coexist. The distributor for the 94 roller cam is not a ds2.... I don't think....
Sorry, didnt realize the DS went as quick as it seems and I think I meant earlier anyway, as in late 80's. Seems trucks and vans upgraded first. There are some Spectra FD19or14 dizzy's for 5.8s that give a choice of cast iron or steel. I see now they have an E7xx part number and used in the '88 year for both bronco and e-250, they say electronic, as the 5.8 LTD does, but says advance is computer controlled. The same '88 year LTD CV 5.8 has the DS style & older P/Ns and vacc advance but no choice of gears I can't guess why the cam gear choice is there as if it were an OE choice.

I gotta watch it, ive used my 2 of 3 times Im allowed to be wrong in a year already

Verbose Vocabularian
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Your parts list looks correct.
There was also a brown strain relief used on the early EEC engines, I have seen a couple at junkyards. I look for them every time I visit the local pick-a-part, I have two spares in the garage. I also have some more modern connectors because the factory style donít come apart easily, thatís an upcoming project for me to install. If you use the factory wiring from a junkyard, pay attention to the red and white wires - in mine they change colors at the connector which had me confused when it would only run with the key in start.
I have a 302 so I got a distributor for a 1980 Granada, the cars I pulled the DS from were different engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

___
JeffH

66 Coupe, 302-4V, SROD
(had to create new username when I changed email address)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page