Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I went to see Quentin Tarantino's latest at the theater last night, and I liked it a lot. If you like his movies, then you're pretty much guaranteed to like this one. I'm bringing this to you car folk, who may or may not be fans of Tarantino's hyper violence played for laughs, or of his revisionist takes on historical facts, or of his super long scenes of people just talking and talking and talking, because it is a window to 1969 SoCal, and the cars are done very well.

Tarantino puts us in the back seat several times as cars are driven spiritedly in the Hollywood hills, and on the big screen it was thrilling. It made me feel like I was three years old again, leaning forward between the front seat backs, feet on either side of the trans tunnel of my dad's '69 Mustang coupe. In the age of GoPro cameras mounted everywhere, I was surprised to feel so transported by a simple movie camera in the back seat. It was enthralling.

There are a few Mustangs rumbling about (a red '66 with a valve tap stuck out particularly), but the overall look of the movie got the cars just about perfect. The only period incorrect detail I noticed was the yellow Firebird had retro-style aluminum wheels that were either 16" or 17". Beyond that, this movie was a giant window into 1969.

I will probably see it again just for the nostalgia value!

(And yes, I know it's probably a little weird for me to feel nostalgia for 1969 when I was born in 1974!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I saw it on opening night and loved seeing all the Mustangs and other classic cars. Like you, I loved it for the nostalgia value, unlike you though, I have remembrance of those times...ha ha. Ancient person that I am....I remember my grandfathers big fin Chrysler and grandmother's push button shift.

I have mixed feelings on Tarantino movies. Some times the blood bath moments are over whelming. And the "alternate" history timelines that show up in several of his movies are an annoyance for me.

This was really well done, entertaining movie though, one of my favorite Tarantino movies (other favorite was Dusk To Dawn).

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. One of the few times my wife & I both want to see the same movie.
Huntingky likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
I'll wait for it to get to HBO. The previews don't really excite me enough to see it in the theater.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Any shots from the inside of a trunk?
One thing I think period movies miss is having a good mix of 10-15+ year old cars for characters or background.

I only go tho the theatre during festivals so by the time new movies hit my TV screen I've forgotten any hype or criticism and see it fresh. A friend said I need to see Bohemian Rhapsody at the theater to get the full sound experience, he hasn't heard my system

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:21 PM

Really liked Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction. The others are kinda hit and miss. I'm sure I'll see this one sometime. Probably when it hits the streaming services.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 PM

QT will NEVER get a nickel of my money. All of that SOBs movies are full of violence and shoot 'em up scenes and then he is one of the biggest anti-2nd Amendment nut jobs in Hollywood. What would he say if I tried to take away his 1st Amendment rights by seeking a prohibition of violent movies?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Yeah, The wheels are something commonly incorrect in modern "retro" movies... They get it wrong all the time. There was a Greg Kinnear movie quite a few years ago (2008) called "Flash of Genius" about the guy who invented the Intermittent Windshield Wiper system and got screwed by Ford so he sued. In that movie. Kinnear's Character has a best friend played by Dermot Mulroney who drives around in a 1969 Camaro in the movie (1971 Time Period). Only problem was, The '69 Camaro was wearing 18" Chromed Torque Thrust II's which were not available until the late 1990's... (See Pic below).

More recently, The famous NASA movie "Hidden Figures" starts out the movie taking place in 1961 and the (3) Lead women characters in the movie driving a 4-door 1957 Chevy Belair get pulled over by a cop car which is a 1964 Ford Galaxie cop car. A big screw-up in the first five minutes of the movie. Only 3 years before the car was even released... An interesting tidbit though was that they also has a 1961 DeSoto Cop car also on the set....Why didn't they use that one for the opening scene??!?? Stupid....dopey directors. The movie was filmed in Atlanta...and the cars were provided by Atlanta Movie Picture Cars inc.

Most production companies today don't care to get the minute details right.....either that or they are just ignorant..

)

Tony K.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flash of Genius Wheels Screw-Up.jpg (268.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Figures car screw-up1.jpg (161.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Figures car screw-up2.jpg (43.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Figures car screw-up3.jpg (40.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Figures car screw-up4.jpg (57.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hidden Figures car screw-up5.jpg (9.6 KB, 92 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

A little off topic but if you haven't seen "Jackie Brown", it's worth a watch.
maladezo likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Jackie Brown.....Great movie...... A+++

One of Tarantino's better ones...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Looks like there’s others out there like us:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...me-movie-cars/

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 AM

The cars were cool, but overall the movie sucked. The acting is very good (but he always has a great cast in his movies), but the story goes nowhere and it's pretty pointless throughout. The last 20 mins are the only good part of whole thing.

Wait for it to show up on Netflix or amazon prime so you don't pay extra to see it.
Miging65 likes this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:32 AM

I will most definitely not be seeing this movie. I will not support, or put money in the pockets of the people who hate this country, and for some reason believe that we should listen to their self entitled opinions. They have a platform to force their twisted views on us, and I will exercise my right to not support them, since I'm not able to plaster my views on the TV every day.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:55 PM

I read an interview with the set director. She recreated all the sets. They're real. No CGI. Apparently, QT doesn't like CGI. He wants his actors to interact with real props and scenery. I respect that.

As for entertainment people popping off about social issue, if you don't want to support them, that is your right. As I see it, they are artists. Artists have provided social commentary for millennia. The art is completely separate from the artist. Judge their art as good or bad. But they can say whatever they like. I served in the U.S. military to help preserve that right whether I agree with them or not. I can appreciate The Mona Lisa and The Last Supper without caring about what kind of person Leonardo was.

I like John Mellencamp's music. I know multiple people from Indiana who have crossed paths with Mellencamp. They all say is a major Delta Bravo/Richard Head. I don't care. I like his music.

There's no possible way I can investigate the personal beliefs of every artist who's art I enjoy. I will simply continue to enjoy and appreciate their art. If you don't want to do that, cool. But if I want to ignore the artist's personal beliefs, I think that's also cool.
65 Pony and BigKoppa like this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 PM

I have never seen Jackie Brown in its entirety, but its on my bucket list.

We go for the popcorn.

Ive gotten into spaghetti westerns and blaxploitation movies lately.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page