7Likes
  • 1 Post By Huntingky
  • 1 Post By dzahm
  • 2 Post By awhtx
  • 1 Post By Mustangerbob1
  • 2 Post By DrHawkeye

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Got the Drip?

Over the past 5 years or so I've bought a 1981 Wheelhorse garden tractor, 1980 Ford 1500 tractor, 1966 Massey 135 tractor, 1965 Mustang and a 1953 International R112 pickup. I've learned to deal with the drips and burning oil. Wheelhorse leaks a little oil. Massey burns it. Mustang has a drip from the 4 speed where the linkage connects and valve seals burn oil. IH pickup burns oil out the cylinders, rear main leak and the threads on the rear end bolt slow drip. Oh, and my 2007 Silverado has a rear main drip too. While I'm at it my 2012 Cruze leaks oil somewhere around the turbo line.

I've learned over the last few years to enjoy using and driving the stuff and monitor the fluid levels. If any of them were severe enough I would obviously fix them. So how many of you don't get too concerned about a few drops here and there?

1965 Coupe
351W - ~400 Engine hp
Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit
Holley 670 Street Avenger
Bored .30 over
Hooker Headers
MSD Box/Distributor
4 Speed Toploader
3.55 Limited Slip Detroit TrueTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM

I hate leaks- but I have concluded only some can be stopped- Maybe its my backyard mechanic skills- IDK- I do seem better at fixing them than some garages- but still- I finally bought a large drip pan for the garage. Ironically the 35 dodge truck doesn't leak or the 46 Ford 2N- but the others tend to "seep"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM

If I can't watch it and see it actively dripping, I don't get too worked up.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
If it's making a mess, I gotta fix it.
The only leak in MyFirstCar is a very slow accumulation of oil in a little divot on my timing cover below the distributor. I can't tell if it comes from the distributor, the intake end seal, the head, or the timing cover. I just stick a paper towel or something it every 6 months to soak up the tablespoon of oil, wipe it clean and go on.
Vehicles not driven often enough are as bad or worse than vehicles driven too much.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:27 PM

My newest car and daily driver is a 1990 Cadillac rwd brougham with 160k miles and for the longest time I was fighting leaks in the cooling system but finally got them fixed and a do have a slight oil leak but not bad enough to worry about. If the leaks do not stop me from driving round trip drives of a couple thousand miles I consider them minor. Wes
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:16 PM

LOL- I am too young to remember this- but a vietnam era vet saw the thread and said back in the day- a shot of penicillian would cure the drip.

(if you are not of that era or medical- the "drip" was a name for an STD ) I thought it was kinda funny so I thought I would share
Huntingky likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Yep it also did the trick in korea
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:40 PM

I think seal materials have really come a long way. It seems like it used to be anything over 5 years old leaked from at least 1 place. Other than the 'Stang the oldest we have is a 20 year old Silverado 190K miles that runs like a top and doesnt leak not one drip anywhere.
10 year old Silverado with only 80K started weeping some oil but I switched to M1 high mileage and it stopped so I guess those "seal conditioners" really work.
I feel lucky, the 'Stang has never had its engine out and only drips a bit of oil from the RMS if its driven about 50 miles. Way better than a lot of things Ive had.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:57 PM

Back when I was flying for a living the flight attendant would sometimes call on the intercom and state that "a passenger says that he sees oil coming out of the engine cowling". Our standard response was "tell him to let us know when the leak stops because that's when we're in real trouble".
Huntingky and myfirstcar66 like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM

It is NOT LEAKING! It is marking it's turf.
DrHawkeye likes this.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
LOL- I am too young to remember this- but a vietnam era vet saw the thread and said back in the day- a shot of penicillian would cure the drip.

(if you are not of that era or medical- the "drip" was a name for an STD ) I thought it was kinda funny so I thought I would share
Being both medical, and a vet, that was my first thought when seeing this thread.
Mustangerbob1 and j persons like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page