UPS just gave me a non-delivery - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

UPS just gave me a non-delivery

What recourse do I have against UPS? The driver claims he delivered the packages, but I saw him stopped in front of my house then he was gone. I had checked the front and all around the front of my house for the packages and they were no where to be found. In fact I was standing on my front porch looking for the packages before he had even cleared my property line. He then reported to UPS that he had dropped off the packages. This happened just before 5 this afternoon. Also, UPS has failed to return my phone calls, twice on this matter.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 PM

I'd be willing to bet if you check the tracking number later this evening it will show up as "Returned to Delivery Hub" or some such nomenclature meaning when the driver got back to his hub the packages were still in his truck. UPS doesn't deliver on Sat or Sun so Monday morning the tracking will show "Out for Delivery".
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Most likely he delivered it to the neighbors house... He may have also shown there was a delivery to do to your house but the boxes were not on the truck. That happens allot. Which UPS did you call? The local delivery center or corporate. I have always called the local depot with issues.

Usually it's the USPS that pulls stuff like that with me which is why I am so happy Amazon has their own trucks now. I can't remember how many items USPS delivered to the wrong street lost or whatever. I can definitely see Amazon saving massive amounts doing their own delivery now.

Until UPS starts caring about their drivers don't expect it to get better. UPS provides no air conditioning for their drivers or in their sorting facilities. Imagine driving an oven all day long that's well over 110* and then hauling boxes to the door from the back where it's even hotter... Yeah hard to find good people that will put up with that crap.

When i used to get lots of UPS deliveries and shipped allot I always kept the fridge near the door stocked with water and made sure he always had cold bottles of water.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Update. Tracking still shows the items as being delivered. I live in a small town and we don't have a full time UPS office here, so calling them is out, they don't publish their local number so I have to use their corporate phone number. UPS here has a history of miss-delivering packages, I once ordered a TV from Amazon and UPS attempted to deliver it to a house that was a couple blocks away from me and the addresses were nowhere near each other, not even one number was the same as well as even the street was a different name. One of their latest is, they deliver my packages to a house with the same number address as mine, but different street name and in a different subdivision. We've made new friends as we meet to exchange miss-delivered packages. According to UPS, I cannot initiate a claim until 24 hours after the alleged delivery.

Around here, UPS changes their drivers at least once a month, we hardly ever get the same one. I feel for their working conditions, but after all, they are union and could do something about it, collectively.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:53 PM

Will be watching but I wonder if he pulled the USPS trick of scanning it as delivered and just left it on the truck so he could get home earlier on a friday. But just as easily he may have delivered it to someone else and he realized that when he stopped at your place and couldn't find the boxes for you and just drove off. Keep us updated of what happens. I generally try to avoid ordering from places that ship UPS because of the amount of damage they do and they are a day to 2 days slower than fed ex as their cross country trucks take an extra day or to to make the trip.

As for them getting better working conditions via the union that will never happen. Employees will always take more pay over better working conditions as they don't understand the dollar value of better working conditions. They want them both and it doesn't work that way. The better 3/4 works for the airline industry and yeah every time there is contract negotiation it's always about more pay where she wants better working conditions...
I know several long term guys (some management) at UPS that would love to go work for Amazon in their air conditioned trucks and facilities but they will not hire anyone from another shipping company.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"What recourse do I have against UPS? The driver claims he delivered the packages, but I saw him stopped in front of my house then he was gone. I had checked the front and all around the front of my house for the packages and they were no where to be found. In fact I was standing on my front porch looking for the packages before he had even cleared my property line. He then reported to UPS that he had dropped off the packages."

Got severely screwed by UPS back in 2010. ...and my items were insured too. I spoke to everyone and got bumpkis after like 20 phone calls to managers. Never again.

"Also, UPS has failed to return my phone calls, twice on this matter."

Sounds familiar. Honestly, UPS is so dishonest, I don't even know how they are still in business all these years.

All I can say is...

Good Luck.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 08-17-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Honestly, UPS is so dishonest, I don't even know how they are still in business all these years.
They're probably still in business because they deliver more than 5 billion (with a B) packages a year in 200 countries.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
Another reason I have cameras and a video door bell. My cameras also show the houses across the street and my across the street neighbor just put in a camera system that you can see my house on. I also have a very good UPS driver that knows me and if he does not see my car in the driveway he will put the package at the back of the house.

So, my best suggestion, get a camera that records all the time or with motion detection. Not that I have had it happen, but it will also help with package thieves.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:50 PM

They've caught a couple of package theft rings here in town due to people having cams on property. In some neighborhoods there are enough cams they can follow the perps out of the neighborhood and get plate numbers, descriptions, etc.
gwstang and j persons like this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:47 PM

UPS is a PITA....... dealt with them on the B-2-B side at two prior employers.

I had a $2000 item shipping from Manhattan NY disappear in route to me in CA.
Took an act of congress to get that "found" and delivered. When delivered it had
all the signs of fraud..... box opened and re-sealed and the tracking number &
shipping label were not the same as when the seller put the package together in
NY. This was not an easy to lose item..... box was 4' x 8" x 3'

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:06 PM

Realistically speaking, chances are the package was misdelivered...it doesnt happen often on the scheme of things(maybe .1% of the time) but it does happen. If calling your local UPS hub doesnt provide a solution...you call UPS and start a tracer investigation on the package...the shipper(who actually paid for the package to be shipped) will have the option of shipping you a replacement while the investigation proceeds. If the package is not found, UPS will reimburse the shipper of the package for the insured amount...at which time they can could also send you a replacement. If the package is found, UPS will contact the sihipper of the package to determine what they need to do with the package(if the shipper sends a replacement, the shipper would likely request the package be returned as an example). I used to work for UPS taking care of some rather large clients....the package delivery world is not perfect...occasionally things do go missing or are damaged or misdelivered...it doesnt matter if its USPS, Amazon, Fed-Ex, or DHL...it happens to all of them. People wrap packages with their labels in shipping paper...that paper gets caught in a conveyor and ripped off the box...now you have a box with no label. Maybe its peak season and everyone is in a rush because of the huge amount of packages...one falls off the belt and gets damaged. Maybe the driver has a bad day and decides to play football with a package because he has been working 14 hours that day and his local center calls him to go make yet another pickup(not a good thing to do...but everyone is human). Its the package delivery world...you are being unrealistic if you think every package you order is going to make it to you just fine...but in short, to answer your question, as a reciever of a package, you can start a tracer...but the SHIPPER has all the rights as far as UPS or any other shipping company is concerned. First thing I would do is call the shipper...let them start the tracer and maybe send a replacement while the investigation goes on. THe shipper is better equipped to start an investigation anyway, since they will have all SKU numbers, part numbers, serial numbers, identifying marks, etc

Last edited by wicked93gs; 08-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"They're probably still in business because they deliver more than 5 billion (with a B) packages a year in 200 countries"

Yeah, but how many packages get there in one piece....or even get there at all..

UPS is literally the worst shipper that I've ever used. FedEx and even USPS are ten times better...and also handle packages better. I've had so much stuff damaged by UPS over the years that we don't even have the digital ink here to go through it all. People use them because they are the CHEAPEST shipper when it comes to HEAVY ITEMS bar none... That's all.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
"They're probably still in business because they deliver more than 5 billion (with a B) packages a year in 200 countries"

Yeah, but how many packages get there in one piece....or even get there at all..

UPS is literally the worst shipper that I've ever used. FedEx and even USPS are ten times better...and also handle packages better. I've had so much stuff damaged by UPS over the years that we don't even have the digital ink here to go through it all. People use them because they are the CHEAPEST shipper when it comes to HEAVY ITEMS bar none... That's all.

)

Tony K.
Personal experience will vary, but they all lose and damage just as many packages. As for shipping costs...UPS is MORE expensive than either Fed-Ex or USPS, especially for heavier/larger/longer distance packages. as for how many packages UPS successfully delivers...I can actually answer that one... 99.9%. Has UPS lost or damaged my packages before? Yes indeed...but so has Fed-Ex and especially USPS...I havent used DHL or Amazon enough to have personal experience with them. I bet both Fed-Ex and USPS also successfully deliver 99.9% of their packages as well regardless of my skewed view that USPS damages the most...I just THINK they damage the most because I have lost more packages to them than the others...but the real data would probably show that all of the shippers lose/damage roughly the same amount...personal experience just causes people to dislike one carrier or another more than another. As the saying goes: "Statistics mean nothing to the individual" What does it mean to Einstein that 99% of the people on the Earth arent as intelligent as him? Nothing. What does it mean to you that UPS delivers 99% of their packages(or Fed-Ex, or USPS) without any problem? Nothing.

P.S. In ALL these companies there are also people who work for them that are less-than-honest. UPS for example installs cameras in their trucks now after they caught one of their drivers stealing jewelry from some shipper that he found out was a jeweler. USPS of course has also had this problem for decades, as I am sure Fed-Ex does...you cant even blame it on employee pay...all of these companies pay their drivers well...though not so much their package handlers in their hubs

Last edited by wicked93gs; 08-17-2019 at 07:01 PM.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:02 PM

Sooo, my UPS driver has the key code to my garage door keypad based on his birthday.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM

My UPS and FedEx drivers are great.
The contractor FedEx driver is not so hot.
I had ordered something from CJ and paid extra to have it delivered on Sunday.
Sunday comes and goes, and no package. Delivery notification showed it delivered to my porch at 3:00PM. Funny, I was out there and never saw anyone.

I called FedEx on Monday and they said that they'd track it. They called back on Thursday morning to say it was delivered to my front porch.

My son found it while he was cutting the grass, 500' from my front porch. It sat out there for four days. Fortunately, nothing inside was ruined.

I called FedEx to tell them that 500' from my porch is not the same as the porch. I also praised my regular driver and they noted that.

My solution is to have GPS in the hand scanner, so it notes the location of where it was scanned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page