Messing with Spammers - Vintage Mustang Forums
 57Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Messing with Spammers

So, the other post about the indian and spam made me think of a funny story about messing with Spammers who call the house.

I used to put my then 4 year old on the phone and tell them to tell Santa what you want for Christmas.

The best was an Indian gentleman who called about a problem with my windows computer. He wanted me to open windows. I told him I couldn't because I had the A/C on. He said no your windows computer. I said all my windows have curtains. I told him my computer was a Comodore 64. He googled that and said it was really old, like 30 years old and may be worth some money.

I kept going, I told him my car was 50 years old (true). He asked what it was so I told him. He googled again and told me how beautiful these cars are. He asked again about my opening my windows. I told him the one closest sticks sometimes and is hard to open. I then went on a rant about humidity.

He told me maybe its time to get a new computer. I told him I was 80 years old (not even close to true), that my Car was 50 years old, my computer was 30 years old and then I said "Do you know how old my wife is?.....18!" He hung up on me.

My wife was rolling as this rambled on for 10 min or more. At least I kept him from bothering someone else for a while.

1966 Mustang Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
Most of the time I hang up on them, but if my wife is around we have a little fun. I let them go through their spiel and then say "My wife usually handles this stuff, you'll have to talk to her". After she listens to them she'll say "You'll have to talk to my husband about that". We keep going back and forth til they hang up.
BigJoeWV likes this.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 31 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Not a SPAMMER of robo call story but nice little story.

When the cellular company I work for first opened for business, the sales people did a LOT of cold calling, going through the phone book and calling anyone who might be a potential client for the new technology: contractors, manufacturing, support, tow truck companies, real estate AND doctors.

One of our rural offices had a certain doctor listed in the phone book and of course that number was one of the first ones dialed. Turns out though that the doctor had been dead for several years and his elderly widow couldn't bare to change the listing, besides, she explained that this was one of only reasons people called any more: they called for the doctor and ended up talking to her on and on and on. She just loved when people called to talk.

Well, after that initial call, any time a new sales person was hired at that office, they were hazed by being given that number. They were told that there was a doctor that was so close to signing but no one could close the deal and if this new sales person could ink the contract they would be the store hero. The newby would pounce on the opportunity, dial the number and instead of the doctor, get the sweet old lady on the line. After just a few minutes, they would start looking around the office and see everyone snickering and realize they had been had. By the time they got off the phone, they knew how long the couple had been married, her favorite recipes, all about their kids who never called or visited her, and how she looked forward to seeing her beloved in paradise. The office got a good laugh and the old woman was happy to have talked to somebody.
Rebel Racing, rpm, gt350sr and 2 others like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Got a call from a lady wanting to see me a life insurance policy. I told her that I didn't need life insurance and that I was the only one left in my family and I didn't have any heirs, and when I died, there wasn't anyone left to carry on my name. And with that in mind, I didn't need life insurance. She responded with "Oh you poor man"

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

I love messing with them. I get 5-6 calls a day and love to poke holes in their script, but I have had so many that just keep repeating the script. It ties up their lines and gives me a good laugh. Has anyone ever watched the guys on youtube that really mess with them or plant a virus on their computer labeled as "wells fargo" or some other bank, the scammers can't seem to stop themselves from clicking it.
BigJoeWV and myfirstcar66 like this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:22 PM

Garage
I am on the DO NOT CALL registry, have a spam filter and I still get several calls a day...
I don't answer numbers I don't recognize. And they use numbers from all over the country. Lately even trying local ones. [email protected]$tards...
Sometimes they leave a message, lately it has been an automated one, something about locking down my social security blah blah blah...
Sometimes I block my number (*67) and call them back and mess with them HARD.
When they ask for my number, I give them the phone number to the DO NOT CALL registry, the Federal Trade Commission Fraud Unit, or a police agency.
It doesn't really take much to make them lose their cool and I like to tell them to go get a real job and quit trying to steal from honest working people. PoS...
My brother likes to speak very quietly so they turn their headset volume up, then he blows a handheld boat air horn at the phone and laughs hysterically.
dobrostang, Huntingky and BigJoeWV like this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:32 PM

I use several tactics:

Keep saying hello and act like you cant hear them.

Give them a sob story about being unemployed, wife left, car repo'd, IRS froze bank accounts.

If its a woman, start hitting on her, ask personal questions, ask her to video chat.
BigJoeWV likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM

This is a local guy, Tom Mabe, grew up in my old neighborhood. Being a stand up comedian, he loves to prank telemarketers.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
Not phone scammers, but one of my favorite past times is messing with email scammers. You have 12 million dollars to move out of the country and I can have half if I let you launder it through my bank account? Great! Let me send you my cover of Ring of Fire instead of bank details after stringing you along for a week with excuses and stupid, repetitive questions.

Sometimes they just give up and stop emailing, but some of them will also loose their cool and that's when it's funny. I've been told that I'm a "b*stard man" several times. Lots of fun. It's even better when you can get them to divulge their BS or stolen bank account so that you can report it for fraud. Just might save another more gullible person some money.
Huntingky and myfirstcar66 like this.

'68 Coupe
Highland green
302ci (originally 200ci I6)
T5 (originally a 3.03)
Front Discs
Vintage LEDs Tails and Turns
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
One of my favorites- My 73yo Dad got a call from a salesman selling shingles of all things. They thought he bit hook line and sinker! He agreed to new shingles on the whole house, gutters, siding, windows, doors, etc- the call went on for almost an hour. At the very end, they asked for the address of his home so as to send over their crew. He answered with this- 'We're currently at Squaw Creek Park, we're stopping for an oil change, then we'll be up the highway at the RV Park for you to meet us......'. The salesman acted thoroughly confused and asked if Dad was actually referring to a 'Motor home'? I remember Dad smiling and saying 'you said your guys were the best, could shingle, side, and replace windows and doors in ANY home- and this IS my home'. I'm not sure who was more upset- the salesman, or my Mom giving Dad the stinkeye for wasting that poor man's time! lol
Huntingky, DrVett and myfirstcar66 like this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
This is a local guy, Tom Mabe, grew up in my old neighborhood. Being a stand up comedian, he loves to prank telemarketers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttrzG5F4R3o
This is one of my all time favorites! Heard it many years ago. Hilarious
Huntingky and myfirstcar66 like this.

1966 Mustang Convertible
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
Tom Mabe stuff is HiLaRiOuS !
I was just thinking it would be awesome to have a scammer get into it with "another scammer" and record how that went haha ! ! Maybe some guy from Ahmedabad...
Huntingky likes this.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM

I like how this guy handles email spam.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
If I don't know the number, I ignore it. Then I block it. And since I have a 586 area code (didn't bother changing my number when I left MI), I get calls from MI all the time, and I know they're spam. I've blocked hundreds of numbers, and yet the spammers still have numbers to call from. How in the &^%$ do they get so many numbers?
I used to answer the phone and just leave it on the desk until they hung up, but it's not even worth doing that anymore.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper50 View Post
I like how this guy handles email spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

I’ve seen that one,......very funny!!

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, that’s a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page