Costco!!!! - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Costco!!!!

I like costco. I don't need 25 brands of ketchup to choose from. I don't care if I have to buy it in a 2 gallon bucket. I used to really appreciate the cheap booze. I'm a fan of the 4.99 chicken.

This is insane.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...g.cnn-business

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:39 PM

We used to do Costco and Sams club.

We dropped Costco because it was such a hassle to shop there. The lines were horrendous. We would do our shopping during the day in the off hours and it would take 30 minutes to check out as they never had enough registers open. So all of your cold stuff is getting warm since they don't have refrigerated shopping carts. Also remember here in TX it's hot all the time (IE over 100*most of the day)and you still have to get those groceries home so that means another 30-45 minutes in a hot car. We take coolers when we go shopping and that still isn't enough.
Costco just doesn't have the number of locations that Sams club has so their stores are busier. Also costco is way behind in technology. I can scan items with my phone pay on the phone then walk right past the registers and have the door checker scan my phone. I can see inventory of a store online make an order and then drive to Sams park under a covered space and they will bring my stuff to me. They have banks of freezers and fridges by the door for online orders. Oh and self checkout and more registers open.

That said there are things I did like at Costco. They have much better tools (but no outdoor stuff like sams). There are a number of food items and others that we liked from there but the last few times I waited 30+ minutes in line I finally took my cart rolled to the door and handed it to the door entry guards and said i'm not waiting over 30 minutes anymore to check out and you guys can put this stuff away.

Costco just has too many worker bees guarding the entry doors and running around tidying up aisles instead of running a register. I have seen they are starting to put in self check out and if they can improve in that area I will seriously look at getting a membership again.

Oh and they can't sell liquor here due to state laws just that flavored water stuff called wine and beer.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

If that was my experience, I'd stop going too.

I just couldn't believe the people waiting 3 hours for parking in video. Let alone the nightmare in the store.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:44 PM

Garage
Down here in South Florida, Miami-Dade County we have Costco, BJ's, and we used to have Sam's Club. Sam's Club left Miami-Dade county as their stores were not profitable compared to other counties. Seems the low paid employees were taking too much inventory out the back door for the locations to make a decent profit. BJ's moved in to fill the void and are in direct competition to Costco. BJ's has offered self checkout for a while. The problem is 1 out of 3 people need assistance with either the scanning or payment equipment. They recently installed three 15 or less item self check out stations. When they first started each station had a handheld scanner so you did not have to pick up the 2 gallons of ketchup or the 32 pack of water. More recently though, only the employees have the scanners, as the customers seemed to be breaking them. Due to that, the 15 or less checkouts have slowed down as well.

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 PM

With just the two of us we dont buy anything in bulk. Thats ok with me, just more places I dont have to go.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:49 AM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
We have zero issues with the two we shop, Coeur D' Alene and San Antonio. We are retired so do not leave the house on weekends.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:19 AM

The video looks like pretty much any other "Grand Opening" I've seen.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
They just opened one here last week, been pushing it for a few months now. Sam's Club has been here. Ex had membership there for her business in MI, so I've been in that a couple times. But for 1 person and 1 dog, I doubt I would find anything to buy at either, so would be hard to save the 60 bucks for membership.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:09 PM

It's just the two of us and the 4 leggers. Daughter moves in and out but we don't get much for her as she is rarely here ad finally closing on a house and out for good...

We do our big shopping trip once a month and stock up on the big stuff and then just supplement the fresh stuff like milk which we usually buy at Aldi or Braums as their prices are much better on milk. LOML is out of town some of the month while working so we don't go through as much as others do but even at that we have the plus membership and usually our membership is free or only $10 a year.

The remodeled sams clubs have a really good selection of Wagyu beef and a fresh made to order sushi bar run by an outside company.

We usually do our shopping trips during the week just before lunch and grab a hotdog combo (better hot dogs than Costco but the bun at costco is better). I will not go to any of them on a weekend if I can help it. I refuse to go anywhere after noon on sunday. It is the worst traffic of the week with lots of the amateur drivers on the road not paying attention to anything.

There is no store I would ever wait in line like that for. I don't see the attraction to all that mess.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Family of 4 and we do 85% of our grocery shopping at Costco. We use the snot out of the Costco Visa and get a sizable reward certificate (which we cash) every year. Gas prices are typically 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon as well. They warranty on batteries are great and they have good deals on tires. That said, It certainly is not for everyone.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:58 PM

I have a Costco just a stone's throw from my homestead. I can breeze in and out on week nights quite easily when I want to pick up just a few things.

But Mrs. Klutch will ALWAYS want me to go at PRIME FLIPPIN' TIME! I always expect the worst, but it's actually not too bad. Last time I was there on a Saturday afternoon, the store was PACKED. But, no kidding, they had every single register manned and open. I was third in line and breezed right through.

Turns out even when a store is mobbed, if they open all the registers, the lines are actually short. Imagine that. Seems my local Costco has good management.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 AM

We dropped Costco when they started shooting American Veterans in the parking lot.
John_Del likes this.

[email protected] ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 AM

In Wisconsin if you want to get in an out of Costco in a hurry, just go during a Packer game. Actually, the ones near me lines rarely exceed 3-4 people deep. I am just bummed that they stopped carrying Tri-tip roasts and Rembrandt aged gouda cheese.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I have a Costco just a stone's throw from my homestead. I can breeze in and out on week nights quite easily when I want to pick up just a few things.

But Mrs. Klutch will ALWAYS want me to go at PRIME FLIPPIN' TIME! I always expect the worst, but it's actually not too bad. Last time I was there on a Saturday afternoon, the store was PACKED. But, no kidding, they had every single register manned and open. I was third in line and breezed right through.

Turns out even when a store is mobbed, if they open all the registers, the lines are actually short. Imagine that. Seems my local Costco has good management.

I have 3 Costco locations within 20 minutes of my shack. Closest is less than 10 min. Weekends are busy. 5pm to about 6:30 weekdays are busy. Any other time it's quick to get in and out of there. I'll go once a week to pick up bagged salad, bananas, a chicken and maybe one of the ready to cook casserole things they put together. I live alone. I also buy a most my gas at costco. Costco is the happiest place on earth!
Klutch likes this.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangerbob1 View Post
We dropped Costco when they started shooting American Veterans in the parking lot.
That was Las Vegas Metro PD but letís not let the facts get in the way of the anti Costco narrative. Costco doesnít allow firearms on property because, you know, private property rights. When asked to leave the store he argued and ignored the order. While he had a CCW (as well as being a loaded open carry state) NV law allows property and store owners to deny entry to anyone with a firearm. A store isnít in a of itself a restricted CCW or open carry location though the owner reserves the right to refuse entry/service. Toxicology reports showed a significant, non clinical amount of painkillers in the victimís system.

He did leave and was confronted by Metro in the parking lot. He was given contradictory instructions, he exposed the weapon and made a move to disarm by pulling out the holstered weapon and as a result Metro killed him. Two rounds when he was up, an additional 5 as he fell and/or was on the ground. Ruled justified. In more than 200 cases of Metro involved fatal police shootings only once has there been an excessive force or unjustified shooting. About a year later one of the officers involved was indicted on felony charges of providing a firearm to a restricted person.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page