Gun Safes - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Gun Safes

Anyone have a preference for Gun Safe Companies? I'm looking at Champion and Liberty. I was initially leaning toward Champion Trophy initially but it's made in Mexico so was looking at the Triumph as its 100% USA. But now I'm going the other way with Liberty looking at either the Franklin, Lincoln or the National Select. The National Select made by Liberty costs more but the local store is selling it pretty cheaply because of blemishes during shipment that I can't see until pointed out to me.

You never know until you ask.

2nd owner 1966 Mustang Coupe V8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
You can't go wrong with a Liberty, Plus they'll deliver it anywhere to you even if you live in the middle of nowhere at no cost...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
I have a Liberty safe . My only dislike is the combo dial is extremely sensitive and it usually takes
several attempts to open . Not sure if it's me or the dial. I Need to see about converting to an
electronic keypad .

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6fastback View Post
I have a Liberty safe . My only dislike is the combo dial is extremely sensitive and it usually takes
several attempts to open . Not sure if it's me or the dial. I Need to see about converting to an
electronic keypad .
I will be getting a electronic keypad. I understand they just started a new extended warranty program for the locks.
$50 for up to 10 years
$99 for lifetime which is an absolute no brainer.

You never know until you ask.

2nd owner 1966 Mustang Coupe V8.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Google the subject,.....interesting videos on how many specs and measurements are misrepresented.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Google the subject,.....interesting videos on how many specs and measurements are misrepresented.
...and how quickly some can be defeated. They basically will keep honest people honest and keep guns out of kids hands, so a good thing in that regard.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Many are very easily defeated with a cut off wheel, going through the thin sides, totally bypassing the front,....lol.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 PM

And fire ratings, both temperature and time, are miss leading and sometimes mis-represented as well! Be sure and study up on the facts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Youtube! has some excellent videos on many different brands. I highly encourage everyone to check out the Gun Safe videos on there that do "Comparisons" testing.

You'll be truly amazed at how some of these are easily defeated.. I was surprised myself..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 AM

Just be sure to buy one that's 50% larger than you think you need.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM

I was in your same boat about 3 years ago. I needed to buy a fire resistant gun safe for storing all my "toys and single use batteries for said toys" I looked at both the liberty safes and the champion safes. Both are strong competitors and from what I have found, very similar in protection for everything that I store in them. What it came down to for me was there was not a company locally that sold Liberty safes but there was one that sold Champion. So at the end of the day, I went with Champion. Another point that sold me on Champion was that it had the door holders as standard and I would have had to buy one for the Liberty. SO those are the 2 factors that sold me on the Champion.

Now I would like to offer some advice. The champion safe that I purchased was a shallower unit so that it could fit in a specific area of my house. My advice for you is once you know where it is going, make sure to mount it to the floor. The last thing that you need is for some bad weather to come and launch it into space. (I live in southern indiana so naders are a real possibility)

Another thing to think about is the finish. I hated the high gloss polished finish that my fathers Liberty safe has due to fingerprint smudges and having to keep it looking clean. I went for the bedliner look so that i could avoid having to clean it as much.

And i agree with 74Rallye. Always get one bigger than you think that you will ever need. You can always store other valuables inside of it. (documents, jewelry, "single use batteries", booze, etc.)
Good luck with the purchase!

--Jason
0T05M 1970 Mustang Mach 1
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 AM

I actually built a small room in the house. Didn't go full vault door, pretty pricey. Metal security door with electronic combo....$$ vs. $$$$. Outer walls are double rows of studs, offset with rebar inserts, fire rated sheet rock. Ceiling has rebar inserts. Door is hidden. No, won't keep out the determined but definitely not easily gotten into and NOT easily found.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Garage
I have a Cannon which has been good for my purposes. Liberty and Champion are great though...you cant go wrong with either.

Also, when they say "48 gun safe"...they mean 48 with no optics. If you have scoped rifles the number is significantly less.
Huntingky likes this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Okay, First "gun safes" are not safes they are residential security lockers, that 6k Liberty/National the size of a large refrigerator would be 20k plus if it were a real safe. Also Israel is right whether you go at the door or the sides a cut off wheel on a angle head grinder will make short work of it. liberty or any other "gun safe" is just multiple layers of light gauge metal no different than cutting quarters off our mustangs. They keep the snatch and grab crook out of your stuff not the pro who might be targeting you specifically and who brings the proper tools. That said buy the best you can afford and get the one bigger than the largest you think you need you'll need it.
Israel and Mike the old grump like this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM

After researching for a year I settled on an Amsec. Felt it was the best value versus features. Mechanical lock. Have had it for about 7 years and really like it.

But bigger than you think. I bought larger than I thought I would need but it appears they are multiplying in my safe as I am almost out of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page