Hagerty Drive Share - Anyone try this out? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Hagerty Drive Share - Anyone try this out?

Hey guys,

I see through Hagerty Drive Share I can rent a classic for ASTRONOMICAL daily fees. Makes me want to be on the other end of that transaction, maybe.

Has anyone participated in this as an owner? Seems like a way to monetize a non-revenue producing asset....or make a buck off something we all have sitting around anyway.

Downside would be dealing with morons.

Wondering if anyone has real world experience with this. Of course, uninformed opinions are ALWAYS welcome too. Seriously.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:30 AM

I think it might be kind of like the stock market. If it would bother you to lose your investment (car in this case), then don't play the game. Sure, you might get some money for your car if it is stolen or totaled, but if it is only damaged in an way that is not obvious, then you will eat this cost and aggravation.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 10:46 AM

I am all for it for the completely selfish reason that I want to see more classics on the road, I doubt I would rent my car out though...have put entirely too much effort into it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I was actually thinking of it more of an excuse to buy a different car and then rent it out.

I have WAY too much A positive sprinkled all over my '65 to even think about renting it to someone.

But...you know...find a good car that I have no emotional attachment to and start renting it out ASAP? I could see that.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 11:55 AM

Garage
The thought "drive it like you stole it" comes to mind. I mean "drive it like you rented it". I concept is a neat thought, but I don't think people would generally treat the car the same way the vested owner would.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:16 PM

Garage
Is this the same Hagerty that limits when/where you can drive your car, but is perfectly fine with you renting it to some yahoo that can do whatever they want with it?

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 31 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 12:59 PM

Garage
The downside could be significantly worse than dealing with morons. Consider this:

Within the past year a "vacation rental by owner property" was significantly damaged by fire due to a vacation tenant smoking (apparently in violation of rental platform rules) and being careless with the butt. The damage was $1,000,000 and the VRBO insurance (who promoted their program to owners as having plenty of insurance) denied coverage. With significant negative publicity using local media, the owner eventually collected the $1,000,000.

Do you want to be the test case if something goes wrong renting your car out to a marginally qualified or unlucky renter? Does the platform offer coverage large enough to pay the lifetime personal injury claim of a professional athlete with a multi-million dollar contract who is now permanently paralyzed due to your renter's incompetence or negligence? The outcome would not likely be painless. Visualize a colonoscopy with a cactus.

You did ask for opinions...................

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 01:56 PM

Obviously thought up by a Prius owner. I'm scared of my car. I can only imagine what I would do to a rental. Remember the GT350H stories? Changing out the engine and taking it back!! Ummmm..... I pass, but let me see your keys.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 01:59 PM

A lady I see at the gym went to Vegas and her friend rented a Ferrari at $2500 a day. Mine ain't no F______
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page