7Likes
  • 3 Post By Hemikiller
  • 2 Post By 66coupe289
  • 1 Post By GypsyR
  • 1 Post By 1968Cally

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Deadbeat bidders on Fleabay

Is this a new 'thing', or am I just getting lucky enough to get all the idiots? I listed a car on FleaBay- it sold, and the winning bidder with 1+ feedback never bothered to return any contact requests, make the deposit, or complete the deal. I had to file a claim to get mu listing fees back and relist the car. 10 days later, it sells again, this time for less as is typically the case. Same story- almost. The winning bidder failed to return any info requests bar 1- he asked for my paypal account to make the deposit to, and my # to call me...... he did neither. So, another claim, and another relisting. This time around the bidding has gone crazy- to almost double the 1st sell price! The high bidder had 4+ feedback, so I emailed him to verify he was a serious bidder. I said if they failed to contact me within 24 hrs, I was going to void their bid and move on (apologies in advance if I were wrong and they could rebid). No response, voided the bid, no rebid. I get up this morning, and the bid has increased again- this time a bidder with 0 feedback and a member for almost a month now! What's the deal?!? I specifically put in the ad 'If you have 0 or low feedback, and don't intend on following through with a contractual bid, PLEASE don't bid or waste my time!' I've sold cars numerous times before to numerous other states and countries. Anyone else running into this?? Man is it annoying!!

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

Ahh, the joys of dealing with the public!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Have you considered limiting the bids to those that have some kind of decent transaction feedback numbers?

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Have you considered limiting the bids to those that have some kind of decent transaction feedback numbers?
Is that actually a thing? If so- I'd definitely use it!!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Garage
Those are the reasons that I don't use eBay for anything more than trinkets. I'd never, ever, consider selling a car there.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ya, it's odd. I've never had any issues in the past, even selling to Germany and Australia! This is the 1st time with issues, and it's happened twice. The worst part is that once I've filed a claim, I can't leave negative feedback on the jerks to warn other reputable sellers.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Is that actually a thing? If so- I'd definitely use it!!
You can block buyers with negative feedback and some other qualifications, but not low feedback. I get why it is this way, but as a seller you should be able to have some control over who bids on your higher ticket items, other than manually cancelling their bid, or blocking them individually. I'd like to see an option where you have to place a $100 deposit in order to bid, which gets refunded if you don't win the bid, and gets forfeited if you win and don't complete the transaction. That would at least keep the kids and basement dwellers at bay, but who knows.
66coupe289, gt350sr and vegasloki like this.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Garage
I generally only sell small stuff and do it only as a "buy it now" with a fixed price that way they have to pay at time of purchase. EBay should ban dead beats that fail to pay for an auction as that is a breach of contract...but they don't. Large items, like cars, should require a 10% bidder deposit that gets released if you do not win the bid, gets applied to the purchase if you win or forfeited to the seller if the winner fails to complete the transaction. (Typed before reading Hemikiller )
gt350sr and maladezo like this.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

Last edited by 66coupe289; 09-13-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
It corries out into the rest of the world too, I'm afraid. While sitting to the side of the drive through lane stoically watching my lunch break time fritter away while waiting on the restaurant crew to un-f%&k my order it occurred to me that I am often genuinely surprised these days when someone competently does what they say they are going to do in a timely manner. I've come to expect the opposite.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
You can block buyers with negative feedback and some other qualifications, but not low feedback. I get why it is this way, but as a seller you should be able to have some control over who bids on your higher ticket items, other than manually cancelling their bid, or blocking them individually. I'd like to see an option where you have to place a $100 deposit in order to bid, which gets refunded if you don't win the bid, and gets forfeited if you win and don't complete the transaction. That would at least keep the kids and basement dwellers at bay, but who knows.
Nothing was mentioned about blocking bids.
You can type into your description that "only eBayers with feedback over X may bid on the item" or words to that effect.
I've used that wording and have seen it used for 20 years on eBay.
And as a seller, I think you can still cancel a bid received? That puts the "teeth" into the admonishment above.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 09-13-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Is this a new 'thing', or am I just getting lucky enough to get all the idiots? I listed a car on FleaBay- it sold, and the winning bidder with 1+ feedback never bothered to return any contact requests, make the deposit, or complete the deal. I had to file a claim to get mu listing fees back and relist the car. 10 days later, it sells again, this time for less as is typically the case. Same story- almost. The winning bidder failed to return any info requests bar 1- he asked for my paypal account to make the deposit to, and my # to call me...... he did neither. So, another claim, and another relisting. This time around the bidding has gone crazy- to almost double the 1st sell price! The high bidder had 4+ feedback, so I emailed him to verify he was a serious bidder. I said if they failed to contact me within 24 hrs, I was going to void their bid and move on (apologies in advance if I were wrong and they could rebid). No response, voided the bid, no rebid. I get up this morning, and the bid has increased again- this time a bidder with 0 feedback and a member for almost a month now! What's the deal?!? I specifically put in the ad 'If you have 0 or low feedback, and don't intend on following through with a contractual bid, PLEASE don't bid or waste my time!' I've sold cars numerous times before to numerous other states and countries. Anyone else running into this?? Man is it annoying!!
Hemmings Ad. $100. You will get a much better class of buyers. Hemmings now has an online auction option. Not sure of the fee structure.
vegasloki likes this.

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Everything GT289 said. Otherwise you get trolls and teenagers that just think it is there for their entertainment. I've even seen people use it to get sellers frustrated to the point that they sell at a lower reserve just to get off eBay.

If it is a really nice car, you may want to try Bring a Trailer. It has a pool of enthusiasts and dealers, sometimes they can nit-pick but usually a car is well received.

That said, classic Mustangs generally don't do as well on BaT.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Nothing was mentioned about blocking bids.
You can type into your description that "only eBayers with feedback over X may bid on the item" or words to that effect.
I've used that wording and have seen it used for 20 years on eBay.
And as a seller, I think you can still cancel a bid received? That puts the "teeth" into the admonishment above.

You can cancel bids and block bidders individually, but there's no global "below X feedback" block option.

My account preferences are set to block those with -1 or lower feedback, 1 or more unpaid item strikes and some other options I don't specifically remember.

I've seen auctions with the wording you describe, don't know how effective it is, but at least people have been warned.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:51 AM

I think selling classic cars is especially problematic. There are just so many guys out there who dream of owning a classic car. They flip through car magazines and dream. They watch car TV shows and dream. They go to local car shows and dream. They talk about classic cars with their friends and coworkers and they dream. They waste the time of people selling classic cars by looking and asking questions when they have no way of actually buying the car.

The reality is the vast majority of guys who dream of owning a classic car will never actually own one. It's a luxury they simply can't afford. These guys have limited incomes, are married with kids, or worse, they are divorced and paying child support.

Sometimes these guys will have a classic car rotting in the back yard. It is but a sliver of reality into their dream. That's why if I knock on their door and offer a very fair price for the car in the back yard, they answer, "No! I'm gonna fix it up someday." Sadly, their lives are sad and hopeless. That car rotting in the yard is the closest thing they have to hope.

Then these guys start cruising the classic car auctions on eBay. In their minds, the dream comes alive. They see a car that gets their dream all fired up and, inexplicably, they post a bid. Although they could never afford to pay for that car, it is but another sliver of hope into their dream. Intellectually, they assume theirs will not be the winning bid, so what's the harm, right? Then they get an email from eBay saying they won the auction. They say, "Oh, crap!" and go into ghost mode. It's similar to people who compulsively buy things and return them. It's not about actually having those things. It's about the rush from buying them.

But that doesn't help the poor guys who are trying to sell their classic cars. eBay should really do something about this because it is a very big problem.

Stepping back a bit, the whole situation reminds me of how very privileged I am to own my classic car. Sure, we see lots of fat cats on TV who buy and sell classic cars like they're playing Blackjack. But those guys are a very tiny percentage of the guys who actually want to own classic cars.

* No disrespect to women on the forum. It's simply my observation that classic car dreamers tend to be men. The few women I've known who dream of owning a classic car tend to actually make it happen.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page