Bicycles in New York - Vintage Mustang Forums
 17Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bicycles in New York

The mayor DeBlasio has been pretty ambitious about expanding the miles of bike lanes around the metro areas where people would need them. "Trendys" who live around the big cities have moved to bikes instead of driving cars and many do not even own a car.

Well these bikes with a healthy rider can hit some decent speeds but then there are pedestrian cross walk smashes where the biker can't stop and crashes into people. Also, bikers tend to blow through intersection red lights and have been hit by vehicles. The bikes also shoot the gaps between cars in conjested zones and can clip vehicle mirrors or side scrape cars. It is turning into a bit of a mess and some people have actually been killed by these behaviours.

Further, with a lot more bikes to avoid the vehicle conjestion and fewer people buying cars the city is either contemplating or has already decided to require that all bikes be licensed, registered and insured just like cars(not sure if this is the law yet or not). There was some discussion of a maximum 15 mph limit for bikes also. Police already "pull over" bikers and issue them tickets for whatever thing they violated.

Wow. DeBlasio really fluffs up the ride a bike thing, loads of people go for it and then they levy fees and licenses on them. Amazing government at work. Since the bike rider is typically exercising more rigorously, I'm surprised they haven't penalized them for exhaling more co2.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 09-16-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
Probably fart more, too, contributing to greenhouse gases like cows.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post
The mayor DeBlasio has been pretty ambitious about expanding the miles of bike lanes around the metro areas where people would need them. "Trendys" who live around the big cities have moved to bikes instead of driving cars and many do not even own a car.

Well these bikes with a healthy rider can hit some decent speeds but then there are pedestrian cross walk smashes where the biker can't stop and crashes into people. Also, bikers tend to blow through intersection red lights and have been hit by vehicles. The bikes also shoot the gaps between cars in congested zones and can clip vehicle mirrors or side scrape cars. It is turning into a bit of a mess and some people have actually been killed by these behaviors.

Further, with a lot more bikes to avoid the vehicle congestion and fewer people buying cars the city is either contemplating or has already decided to require that all bikes be licensed, registered and insured just like cars(not sure if this is the law yet or not). There was some discussion of a maximum 15 mph limit for bikes also. Police already "pull over" bikers and issue them tickets for whatever thing they violated.

Wow. DeBlasio really fluffs up the ride a bike thing, loads of people go for it and then they levy fees and licenses on them. Amazing government at work. Since the bike rider is typically exercising more rigorously, I'm surprised they haven't penalized them for exhaling more co2.
Good - add a large road tax fee when they do their annual registration too. They should be helping to pay for the road infrastructure and upkeep.

John
geicoman58 and 2nd 66 like this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
Probably fart more, too, contributing to greenhouse gases like cows.

Maybe they can ride cows instead of bikes. Might result in less lane splitting and speed violations.. (its been a long day)
gt350sr likes this.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 PM

I wonder who will tell you what to be upset about next.
vegasloki likes this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:18 PM

I'm all for bike commuting. I did it one summer. But 16 miles each way was a bit much for me. And even more so if the wifey wanted me home quick to help out with rugrat duties. Also, my squats went to crap. Still, I'm entertaining the idea of doing it again.

What the big cities need are dedicated paths separate from the roads and from pedestrians. I don't think they should to register and insure them. In fact, they should be encouraging more biking. Too many cars on the road as it is and too many people are out of shape. Now as this electric bike trend grows they're going to become more of an issue, and that might justify some regulation from big brother.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 PM

What? Bikes KILL?

We must ban bikes and the killers who ride them!!

The next thing you know, those two wheel killers will be wearing leather jackets and taking the town over.

My ship did a brief stop in the Big Apple in 98.

I was at a school and met the ship the night before it sailed.

I had one night in town and found a neighborhood bar. Very narrow front but went way back, so it was pretty good sized.

I bellyed up and ordered a beer, no one had much to say.

I drank my beer, looked around and saw a juke box. I put a couple bucks in, played Old Blue Eyes and all of a sudden had some friends.

Bunch of nice guys, not the typical New Yorkers I see on the telly.
Huntingky and myfirstcar66 like this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
Only time I've ever been to New York was for a loooooooong layover on a flight going overseas. I saw a LOT of wild stuff while I wandered around the airport.
I would love to see the things that matter there, not just NYC but upstate and the islands etc. The people, the pizza, the places, and a few of those things to help me have some images to go with my 9/11 emotion. I always figured if I was single I would either get killed or laid like tile as soon as the girls heard an Alabama guy talk.
I'd hafta leave the Mustang and the bicycle back home.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 AM

Used to ride quite a bit in my younger days and would consider riding to work if it wasn't for the 15 miles of public highway between home and work. A nice bike dedicated 2 mile path would be nice.....but I choose to live out in the country.

Country has it's own traffic challenges. A lot of us would like to see the Amish be required to register and insure their vehicles. Pay their share of some of the road taxes to help maintain the roads would be fair. Their buggies aren't too bad except for having to dodge horse poop is a pain. But many of the their big hay/log wagons use steel wheels that cut grooves in the asphalt, especially in hot weather. And they refuse to display the mandatory orange triangles which leads to some real close calls and even the occasional fatalities. This They use little lanterns on the side of them but you can't see them until you are almost upon them. Believe me, there is no pucker power on the backside like going down a dark country road at 50 mph and suddenly a black shape appears in front of you and you realize you are about to rear end a buggy.
One local finally did break down and use some grey reflective tape on back and side of his buggy so it will reflect headlights. This was after he got hit and his wife and one kid (he has 9) spent a month in the hospital after getting hit at an intersection, destroying the buggy and killing his horse in the process.
Gotta' watch the tractors too, but at least they wear the triangles and have running lights. I rarely take mine out on the road at night but even in daylight, I run the blinking warning lights.
gt350sr likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstang View Post

Well these bikes with a healthy rider can hit some decent speeds but then there are pedestrian cross walk smashes where the biker can't stop and crashes into people. Also, bikers tend to blow through intersection red lights and have been hit by vehicles. The bikes also shoot the gaps between cars in conjested zones and can clip vehicle mirrors or side scrape cars. It is turning into a bit of a mess and some people have actually been killed by these behaviours.

Further, with a lot more bikes to avoid the vehicle conjestion and fewer people buying cars the city is either contemplating or has already decided to require that all bikes be licensed, registered and insured just like cars(not sure if this is the law yet or not). There was some discussion of a maximum 15 mph limit for bikes also. Police already "pull over" bikers and issue them tickets for whatever thing they violated.

You live 1500 miles away. Is it going to affect your day to day life? Have you ever, or do you plan to visit NYC? I’m there pretty frequently and it’s been like that there pretty well forever. It’s not a place I’d ever live because that life isn’t for me. That’s why we have options.
vegasloki likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Bike trails and lanes are a huge thing here in Eastern Iowa. Dedicated lanes along the curb and parallel parking 5' from the curb was the latest and greatest idea. Park the car, open the passengers door and clip a cyclist... Like mentioned above- I don't mind cyclists (I'm one of them) but I wish they'd follow the rules of the road. Far too many of them riding 3 wide on 2 lane roads, blowing through stop signs as if they're above them, or riding at night without lights. Like Huntingky said..... no pucker power on the backside ..... lol

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
I typically ride about 3,500 miles per year. Mostly rural roads, often in a group of 4-10. Cyclists are like any other population group, there are all kinds. We generally ride single file and collectively yell "car back" when a car is approaching from behind so that if we are riding side by side we know to single up. I actually have a rear facing radar that will indicate on my bike computer when cars are approaching. My morning group is known as the Nite Riders as we will head out in the morning at 5:15 and ride for an hour and a half. Our lights are very bright and we wear bright clothing. People say we look like a piece of farm equipment coming down the road.

City riding? no thanks. Way too many people in a hurry. A person on a bike loses every time to a 4,000lb vehicle. Multi-use paths? We avoid those too. At 20+ mph it's not safe to be passing close to walkers/runners.

Stop signs? Honestly it depends. We mostly hit rural 4 way stops. It's up to the lead rider to call it out. If there is a car in sight, we stop. If nothing is in sight, he/she will yell "clear" and we will roll through. Stop lights, we stop. Major roads, we stop.

A few years ago I commuted to work 14 miles each way. Frankly it only took me about 10 minutes longer. However, I did not like riding in the commute hours.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Have 5 bikes myself. Amazed at the number of bozos that blow through stop signs and red lights here.
Bicycles and cars. We have way too much population and vehicle density for that crap.....

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Bike trails and lanes are a huge thing here in Eastern Iowa. Dedicated lanes along the curb and parallel parking 5' from the curb was the latest and greatest idea. Park the car, open the passengers door and clip a cyclist... Like mentioned above- I don't mind cyclists (I'm one of them) but I wish they'd follow the rules of the road. Far too many of them riding 3 wide on 2 lane roads, blowing through stop signs as if they're above them, or riding at night without lights. Like Huntingky said..... no pucker power on the backside ..... lol
The key is following the laws. Bikes MUST follow the same laws as cars on the street. Those that choose not to, well, I have no sympathy for them and any injuries they might receive. Having them insured for damages and injury is probably a good thing.
gt350sr likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Garage
Out here, the weekend cyclists in Lycra love to clog two lane back roads and seem to be either oblivious to the laws of physics or on a suicide mission. Perhaps the most flagrant group of "bicycle advocates" are the militant Critical Mass anarchists who take pride in creating traffic chaos by swarming into downtown SF streets during rush hour on the last Friday of the month to mark what they consider to be their territory. It has become a land grab and the people who speak most loudly in support of this ego-maniacal spectacle are often carpetbaggers from out of the area. Some of the City sanctioned pro-bicycle "solutions" in San Jose include a variety of intentional impediments to the free flow of traffic through something called the "Road Diet" which takes portions of existing, previously paid for by gas taxes and designated public streets for vehicle traffic and re-purpose them exclusively as bike lanes. We see illogical barriers to the free free flow of vehicle traffic making navigation in the downtown area a minefield. When it starts raining, my guess is these lanes will be empty, yet off limits to vehicle traffic. Vehicle drivers are now expected to learn a new way to make right turns while bus stops now appear in the middle of the street. https://www.sanjoseca.gov/betterbikeways Look at the diagrams on "How to Use the New Street" and "How to make a Right Turn". Organized lunacy comes to mind.

Ironically, the mayor was hit by a truck while riding his bicycle New Year's Day and sustained some serious broken bone injuries.

I agree with the prior sentiment of having the cyclists taxed to pay for their share of repair and maintenance for the bicycle lanes on public streets over which they now have exclusive rights. When the free ride ends, I expect the continuing demand for free exclusive bicycle lanes on public streets will fade as well.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page