Fire ants in the house - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By fordguy
  • 2 Post By CJM68GT390
  • 1 Post By DrHawkeye

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fire ants in the house

The first time this happened I was a bit concerned but I finally decided I had to do something. I don't have kids or a pet so I put bait out where I was seeing them track. After a couple or 3 days they are gone.

I need to mow the grass. Every time I mow I carry a container of fire ant bait with me and dust them as I go. It keeps the problem down but I'm a bit behind.

It is kind of interesting how they operate. Once they have found a way inside they send scouts out in every direction looking for whatever it is they are looking for. I wind up getting stung in the bath room, sitting in my living room lounge chair. If I let them go on long enough they will actually get into the bed sheets. They get everywhere. I guess they are trying to eat me. Once they find any food source that scout leaves a pheromone trail back to the nest and invites all his buddies to the party.

One time my lights shut off so I started checking to see what had happened and the breaker box was jam crammed full of thousands of fire ants. I guess they like electricity too.

I have to wonder just exactly what purpose these creatures serve other than to persecute people and wipe out every creepy crawly thing they find and they spread every where.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:57 PM

How clean is your house? If there's no food source for them they probably won't come inside.

For less aggressive ants we use Terro. Looks like it will work for the fire ants too. It takes a while but then it kills off the colony or greatly depletes it.

http://www.terro.com/fire-ants
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM

Whenever the weather starts to change they will start roaming looking for food. I use some granules I got from a pest control guy. Pour some down the nest and it will take about a couple of days to clear them out. Or a half pint of gasoline, don't light it just let it soak into the mound. Unfortunately it will also kill the soil for awhile. But you gotta break a few eggs of you want to bake a cake.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 PM

Whenever we get ants in the house, I spray them with whatever bottled liquid spray cleaner that's around...409, Lysol, etc. The soap breaks down the coating on the ant's bodies that protects them from drowning, and the soap and liquid gets inside and suffocates them. Then just wipe 'em up...the ants are dead, the area sprayed is clean!

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Whenever we get ants in the house, I spray them with whatever bottled liquid spray cleaner that's around...409, Lysol, etc. The soap breaks down the coating on the ant's bodies that protects them from drowning, and the soap and liquid gets inside and suffocates them. Then just wipe 'em up...the ants are dead, the area sprayed is clean!
That's what we do here, but they just find another way in. Every year when the weather heats up they invade the house. July to September is a constant battle. Them trying to get in. Us trying to keep them out. These aren't Fire ants, but they do bite and they are annoying. I don't understand what they're looking for, but it doesn't appear to be food. They're on the kitchen counter, in the bathrooms, in the living room and even in my bed a few times. They're not in the food pantry. They're not in the trash. They're not in the dog food. They come in through any gap they can find. We just spray them, wipe them up and be ready for where they show up next.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:47 AM

Garage
That's what my Granny called "pi $$ ants" I guess. I live in an older home and started to have some a few years ago. Called a pest control company. They come by once a month to spray the perimeter of the outside and refill some outdoor bait stations. No more ants.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 AM

my daughter is allergic to fire ants. I have a local pest control company spray my yard, haven't had a fire ant in the yard for close to 20 years now.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Or a half pint of gasoline, don't light it just let it soak into the mound.
We don't have an ant problem, but do have yellow jackets that live in the ground. We simply wait until dusk, when all the bees return to the nest, pour some gasoline on the ground around the opening, wait a few seconds, and light. The fire continues for several minutes. Problem solved. Be careful though, the gasoline will follow the tunnels and can come out in unexpected locations!
Garth66 and Huntingky like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Amdro granules works well on fire ants.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 PM

We have lots of fire ants here but they never come in the house. Those piss ants do come in. The sting of a fire ant hurts like h3ll. A piss ant sting is hardly noticed.
FWIW: We used to call them "junk yard piss ants". We'd be under a car at the junk yard pulling a transmission or rear end differential and they'd get in your shirt or pants before you realized they were there.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
Nuke the bastards, only way to be sure.
areallifecowboy likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM68GT390 View Post
We don't have an ant problem, but do have yellow jackets that live in the ground. We simply wait until dusk, when all the bees return to the nest, pour some gasoline on the ground around the opening, wait a few seconds, and light. The fire continues for several minutes. Problem solved. Be careful though, the gasoline will follow the tunnels and can come out in unexpected locations!
I recently had to rid myself of some yellow jackets that had torn me up while mowing. I used diesel because of the lower flash point. I did notice several seeming to appear out of nowhere and realized they were fleeing out of another hole in the ground about 18 inches from the first. Flooded that hole too and lit.

I have to admit that after being very badly stung I had a certain grim satisfaction of seeing the little balls of fire take to the air for a second and then crash back down, even occasionally making a popping sound from the heat.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I toast bread and bagels in my george foreman(its still working) grill. It has a little tray that sits under the front and it had some bread crumbs in it. It looks like that is what they latched onto. We are into fall now and the weather is changing so I think they are out doing their last foraging for the year before they hibernate.

I have concluded rightly or not that there is no permanent solution to the fire ants because I have people living around me and one vacant lot and those are not being doctored for the ants. If I wiped them all out on my property they would be back again next year unless the earth was made totally incompatible with them living. I think doing that would kill everything else too. At some point in the spring, each mature mound creates a batch of new queens that fly up, get fertilized by the drones then they settle somewhere and start another colony. One mound becomes 10 to 20. Imagine what happens if your property has 10 or 20 living mounds when this happens. I regularly monitor the mounds that are still alive during the spring months and catch them before the queens fly and go around and doctor every mound. It knocks them way back but they don't ever go away completely.

Thanks Brazil which is I think where they originated.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

Last edited by macstang; 10-09-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM68GT390 View Post
I grew up on the cape, can't tell you how many times we were stung playing in the woods. you're running along and step on a nest and all hell breaks loose. kind of got used to it after a while.

66 mustang coupe, 302 / T5-Z / 3.80 trac-lok

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page