Transferring files from a win 7 to a win 10 computer - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Transferring files from a win 7 to a win 10 computer

I need to transfer the files on this win 7 computer to a win 10 computer. I have a win 10 that I use in the shop, thinking about moving it into the house and using the win 7 as a basis for a security system. What is the best, and easiest way to transfer my files into the win 10 from the win7?

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Garage
What type of files? Just .doc, .jpeg, etc type stuff? Put them on a thumb drive and move them.
Or are you wanting to move programs and operating systems?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Files or applications? For files I like some of the new big thumb drives or backup drives. They are very affordable for the amount of storage you get these days. I would definitely consider a newer one too. I remember the last time I did a transfer. I had been using a USB 2.0 and it seemed to take awhile. I had picked up a USB 3.0 and I at first thought something had gone wrong when it completed in less than 10 minutes vs the 1 1/2 hours I was expecting. 400MB per second vs the old 35MB per second made a huge difference.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:05 PM

You should consider upgrading the Win 7 machine, Microsoft will no longer be supporting it after Jan 2020 meaning no security patches incase vulnerabilities have been discovered. If you need a hand let me know I work in the IT industry I can get license for relatively cheap or help with other issues as for your file transfer user google drive files sync anywhere just tell it what folders and its a done deal.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
For free - Dropbox, Onedrive, Google Drive etc. I use all three. I have access to my most commonly used, non-sensitive files anywhere I go.

Get a transfer cable

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U279...0641902&sr=8-1

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1

Last edited by Hemikiller; 10-09-2019 at 01:25 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
In olden times when 8 bit Z80's and Z80A's were running I wrote a serial port to port file transfer utility because I had 2 different architecture Z80 machines. One was CP/M and the other was not. It worked great which was better than I expected.

You can pull the windows 7 drive, temporarily hook it up to the windows 10 machine and copy them. Software would have to be re-installed on the windows 10 because of the way windows install distributes parts and pieces of a software package including updating the system registry and bla bla and so forth.

If you have ethernet RJ45 ports on both your computers I think you can just local net them and move your stuff that way. Windows makes that process fairly easy. I run Linux which does not make that process as easy as windows. I have to do a lot of set up work and load FTP's and other aggravating things.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
What type of files? Just .doc, .jpeg, etc type stuff? Put them on a thumb drive and move them.
Or are you wanting to move programs and operating systems?
Yes, just the usual stuff. The Win 10 has the same programs on it that the win 7 has. I have a pretty good selection of downloaded catalogs, Stuff like ARP, Fragola and others that I want to keep. I'll try the thumb drive method.
GypsyR, Huntingky and DrHawkeye like this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Garage
If transferring via thumb drive is too cumbersome, consider a USB external HD. If you don't have one, a 2 TB USB3 drive is $60 on Amazon. One of the best uses of an external drive is saving backups.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Supporting Member

I will second Hemikillers approach. Just get a onedrive account(Free version is a 5 gig or 2 bucks a month for 50 gig) and don't bother transferring the files from PC to PC. Just leave them in the cloud and move on. You can access them from anywhere at anytime and can have a copy local at the same time. Its a win win.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 PM
LSG

Tongue umm, why ?

Curious as to why you would want to use Windows 10 ? At our place we have 'never 10' blockers installed in everything. I have never seen / known 10 to be anything other than a problem. We have some things on Windows XP Pro, they're fine. Now, if you have Windows Vista, 8, and 10, you couldn't pay me enought to use that trash. LSG
stephen_wilson likes this.

Last edited by LSG; 10-09-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
Curious as to why you would want to use Windows 10 ? At our place we have 'never 10' blockers installed in everything. I have never seen / known 10 to be anything other than a problem. We have some things on Windows XP Pro, they're fine. Now, if you have Windows Vista, 8, and 10, you couldn't pay me enought to use that trash. LSG

While agree that Vista & 8 were trash, 10 has proven to be a reliable operating system. Some may not like the interface, but it's very user friendly for those not that computer oriented.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Getting rid of the win 7 because it will no longer be supported by Microsoft. It's probably their "planed opalescence program" that forces people to buy new stuff.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Supporting Member

If your in healthcare or any other regulated industry, your not compliant if you run operating systems that are no longer supported or patched so your forced to upgrade otherwise you could face large fines from the good people from the Office of Civil Rights.
Huntingky likes this.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Getting rid of the win 7 because it will no longer be supported by Microsoft. It's probably their "planed opalescence program" that forces people to buy new stuff.
My desktop is still running the original XP Pro I installed when I built it. Never once has it shut down or blue-screened.

My laptop is running 7 and no problems there either.

I understand that Microsoft needs to keep coming up with new things so folks will spend the money, but if I'm forced to replace my OS because it's no longer supported (their right), I'm going to exercise my rights and look at other options.

My next OS is going to one of the Linux distros. I'll choose one that is closest to Windows and just go that way. I only really use the computers for research, parts ordering for business, some editing software, and internet surfing.

John

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:del[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
My home computer is still Win7, and I have no intentions of changing it just cuz Microsoft wants me to. I may even have another computer still using XP, but it's offline, and will eventually become a gaming machine for some older games, if and when I get around to it, and getting a good emulator to run some 98 games that I still want to play.
My office laptop is Win10, but there's compliance reasons for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page