3Likes
  • 1 Post By awhtx
  • 1 Post By 65 Pony
  • 1 Post By JeffTepper

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Miles to empty?

Is this for idiots?

How accurate is it?

I have a 16 Fusion I use for my work car. It has 135k on it and still runs like a top. I change the oil every 10k with a Motorcraft filter and 5.7 qts of Mobile 1. On the oil drain I still get back about 5.5 qts.

The gas tank capacity is 16.5 gal. When I run the car down to 9-10 miles to empty and do a fillup, I can only squeeze about 14.5 gal in.

I wait until the pump shuts off, let it 'rest" a few seconds, then I can get about .4-.5 gal of additional fuel in.

So, am I not getting a full 16.5 gal in or is the miles to empty inaccurate for stupid people who dont pay attention?

I usually do a fillup somewhere around 50 miles to empty, but depending on gas prices I sometimes run it lower to save a couple bucks.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM

I had a '09 Focus. It showed 0 miles remaining before it was empty. I think Ford programmed it that way to make sure you didn't actually drive until the engine quit.
Now I have a '15 Mustang EcoBoost. I haven't "tested" it for accuracy!
4ocious likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM

There are several factors which affect that reading, one of which is in your settings and another in how you have been driving. It takes an average of your mileage and NOT your current usage. So if you have been doing a lot of fast or stop and go driving it will give you an estimate based on that driving pattern which may be lower mileage than you are cruising at.
I remember a magazine article that mentioned that they almost got caught out of gas because of that. They were testing an F150 doing some steady, level highway driving and noted the number of miles to empty was plenty to get them to the next stop. The problem was that the next leg of the trip was up a winding mountainous stretch of road and their mileage dropped. Suddenly their miles to empty reading dropped dramatically and they were running on fumes when they reached a station.
I seem to remember you can change how it calculates that estimate based on how long a period it samples for the math.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
In the car biz I drove cars that flashed/blinked RANGE _ _ _ and made it to the gas station no problem (except for the anxiety involved, of course). Manufacturers don't want anyone running out of gas with the MILES TO EMPTY flashing even 1 more mile left. There's a cushion, but most systems update based on current consumption so that a 5 miles to empty reading may vanish before you get that far.

Remember that Seinfeld episode with Kramer test driving a Saab to see how far he could go on empty?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 PM

Garage
Drive it til it stops running and you'll know for certain.

Might want to bring along a couple gals of go-juice just in case.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
In the car biz I drove cars that flashed/blinked RANGE _ _ _ and made it to the gas station no problem (except for the anxiety involved, of course). Manufacturers don't want anyone running out of gas with the MILES TO EMPTY flashing even 1 more mile left. There's a cushion, but most systems update based on current consumption so that a 5 miles to empty reading may vanish before you get that far.

Remember that Seinfeld episode with Kramer test driving a Saab to see how far he could go on empty?

And most MFG's give you free roadside assistance for the first 1-3 years depending on who it is, so they don't want to pay to be sending guys out to put gas in cars.

I love that show, another couple car classics are "the smell" episode with Jerry's BMW and the one where they try to take Newman's mail truck to MI to cash in their cans for the 10 cent refund
4ocious likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Garage
Keep in mind that many modern cars have a submersible fuel pump living in the gas tank. The gas in the tank actually cools the pump. If you run too low on gas, the pump may overheat leading to an early death. I wouldn't be surprised if the "miles to empty" setting is calibrated to avoid running the tank dry.
awhtx likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page