A car plan shakeup, and a dilemma - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

A car plan shakeup, and a dilemma

I thought I was going to start working on the 69 Mach SCJ this year but another opportunity entered the picture suddenly, but with its own dilemmas.

I also have a 1978 Ford LTDII (2 door coupe) that I fixed up in high school and drove as DD for 6 years, including all through college. My dad bought this car brand new in 1978. I love this car more than any of my other cars, even though nobody else would.

Car has sat in parents shed for the last 15-20 years now, body is in bad shape, I considered just junking it.

Then last year, very unexpectedly, my dad died after a minor surgery and I knew junking that car was no longer an option. He was only 58.

I'm in an LTDII owners Facebook group and a guy on there is selling a body shell with frame. Frame is solid, body shell has been completely media blasted and is in excellent shape, currently sitting on rotisserie, just needs floor pans repaired. Everything else is solid. I can get the shell and frame (comes with 351M boat anchor and C6, which I already have as well) for $1000 and transfer everything from my car over. He has a lot of NOS parts I can buy as well.

Dilemma is...it's not actually "the" car my dad bought then. But there's almost no way to fix the current car that wouldn't cost a fortune, and involve custom fabricating many panels. And seems ludicrous to cut panels off good body to weld onto bad body when you could just use the good body and save yourself from having weld seams everywhere.

If I move over everything that made it the car...the same interior, trim, options, etc, from my car. Paint same colors. Is it still actually 'my dad's car?' My mom and wife both hesitated at the same question.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:36 PM

When it's all said and done, if it looks exactly like your dad's old ride, does it matter?

I know guys that have restored mustangs and camaros that were literally nothing more than a firewall and some inner skin panels left of the original cars, but that car meant something to them... but at the end of the day, is it really still that same car?

The only real issue is how to handle the VIN, if you want it to be "the same" as your dad's or if you want to roll with the correct one. We don't have to discuss that here
awhtx likes this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Garage
People have been hesitating at answering that question since at least 500BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

My first car was a '78 Cougar that was nearly identical to those LTD-IIs. It was already rusty in 1990 though so I can't imagine how bad one would be now. I can't help with the philosophy questions but I'd still like to see more of these things on the road whichever way you go with it.

Oh yeah, this is VMF, so.....
CJM68GT390 likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
You vanished for awhile. Glad to see you back, Kazoo.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Keep the memories and move on to the SCJ.

Its just a car, nothing else.
Redneckgearhead likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM

I'd like to also throw in I kinda had this problem for a while too.

My dad sold a red 1968 firebird for the down payment for their house in the mid 80's, the house I grew up in and they still own. To make up for that car, around 87/88 when I was 6/7 he bought a 67 to replace it, it was a decent car but needed a lot of work. It was the first car I handed him tools on, played around in, etc. It was painted white with blue H.O. stripes around 1989. The motor blew in the early 90s, and I was the oldest of SEVEN, so it sat, and sat, and sat, until I talked him into letting me take it around 2012. Boy was it rough. It needed floors, quarters, trunk, drop downs, , front clip, doors, subframe... ironically, the windshield, back glass area, and cowl were all excellent, but the car was also stripped, missing all the interior, etc. I held onto it for years until last year when I finally had a talk with dad about it being too much of a project for me. I could handle the repairs, but at what time/$ cost? He understood, but I still wanted a car "like dad's" so I bought a damn near rust free 1968 Firebird to replace it. It's not my dad's car, but I still have the pictures and memories of dad's car, and when I sit behind the wheel and look out over that long hood it's like I'm riding with him again, even though it's really not the same car.
samgupta and capemustang like this.

2011 Mustang 3.7L Premium Pony Package
2015 Silverado 5.3L 2LT DC Z71
1965 Mustang C Code Coupe 289/T5/3.25
1967 Chevrolet C10 350/700R/3.73
1968 Pontiac Firebird 400

Last edited by 65 Pony; 10-09-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
I thought I was going to start working on the 69 Mach SCJ this year but another opportunity entered the picture suddenly, but with its own dilemmas.

I also have a 1978 Ford LTDII (2 door coupe) that I fixed up in high school and drove as DD for 6 years, including all through college. My dad bought this car brand new in 1978. I love this car more than any of my other cars, even though nobody else would.

Car has sat in parents shed for the last 15-20 years now, body is in bad shape, I considered just junking it.

Then last year, very unexpectedly, my dad died after a minor surgery and I knew junking that car was no longer an option. He was only 58.

I'm in an LTDII owners Facebook group and a guy on there is selling a body shell with frame. Frame is solid, body shell has been completely media blasted and is in excellent shape, currently sitting on rotisserie, just needs floor pans repaired. Everything else is solid. I can get the shell and frame (comes with 351M boat anchor and C6, which I already have as well) for $1000 and transfer everything from my car over. He has a lot of NOS parts I can buy as well.

Dilemma is...it's not actually "the" car my dad bought then. But there's almost no way to fix the current car that wouldn't cost a fortune, and involve custom fabricating many panels. And seems ludicrous to cut panels off good body to weld onto bad body when you could just use the good body and save yourself from having weld seams everywhere.

If I move over everything that made it the car...the same interior, trim, options, etc, from my car. Paint same colors. Is it still actually 'my dad's car?' My mom and wife both hesitated at the same question.
The short answer? No. Some of the car lives on in that scenario...but its mostly another car.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Garage
Since you asked for advice, here are my 2 cents:

Do you really "love" that LTD or, do you love the idea of that car having belonged to your dad?

Having let the car deteriorate over the past 20+or- years, are you feeling somehow guilty for allowing that to happen?

In the end the decision is yours and if the sentimental factor is strong enough it will override the fiscal side of your dilemma.

Good luck.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Keep the memories and move on to the SCJ.

Its just a car, nothing else.
This ^
Huntingky likes this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Is it the same car if you transfer everything over to a new frame? I would say no...but just as important is the followup question: does that really matter if it reminds you of your dad when you look at it, drive it, etc?

1966 A-code coupe...work in progress
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:13 PM

Been there and done that. No it wonít be the same. Itís the memories not the car.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/g...f100-fans.html

^ Same scenario here for me. Grandpa bought this '67 F100 brand new, without a single option save a heater! He gave it to my Dad, who then passed it on to me. I've got tons of memories in this truck, from riding in the bed under the woodgrain aluminum topper with Dad and Grandpa and tons of sh*t in the front seat, to learning how to drive a stick in it 10 years later. It's Grandpa's truck to me- always was, always will be. Everytime I drive it, I'll likely think of him....... and he'll be smiling knowing that the truck now has power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel, heat AND A/C, digital gauges, crown vic font suspension, narrowed 8.8 rear, and a bad a$$ stereo system!! Sure I may have only used 'most' of the cab, the engine, and some of the trim, but it's still the same truck..... mostly...... lol

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Here is the hard truth: The car sat in your Dads garage for almost 2 decades, evidently without an attempt to get it running. You are talking about a LOT of work on a car that will never be worth more than the memories. AND it won't be THE car, it will be a reflection of it.

I think if your Dad could speak on it, he would tell you to follow your dreams, not try to hold on to a piece of his past. Your dream is the Mustang and I bet he would feel better and insist you build it. That is what parents do.
Hemikiller and 65 Pony like this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:41 PM

No, not the same car. It will be an imitation. To some that is good enough. You have to make that decision.
Russ

RIP Mallory, Abby, and Sadie. And now Casey. :-( We miss you girls.

79 Pinto Hatchback. Fully caged, 8inch 4:10 gears. 351C from my soon to be scrapped Ranchero. Aftermarket Tremec T5 (1352 251), Going to be a fun cruiser.

74 Pinto Wagon.
On maybe permanent hold. Or it may become a Pinchero. We'll see after the 79 is done.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
Here is the hard truth: The car sat in your Dads garage for almost 2 decades, evidently without an attempt to get it running. You are talking about a LOT of work on a car that will never be worth more than the memories. AND it won't be THE car, it will be a reflection of it.

I think if your Dad could speak on it, he would tell you to follow your dreams, not try to hold on to a piece of his past. Your dream is the Mustang and I bet he would feel better and insist you build it. That is what parents do.

So much this. I have seen many of these "in memoriam" projects started, and then they become just too much weight on the shoulders of the person attempting them. In the end, you only have so much time on this earth and cars are just things. You're still here, so live your life, not someone else's past. Do the SCJ and send the LTDII to another home whatever/where ever that may be. Keep a piece of it in your shop to remember your dad by, but don't commit yourself to a project because of an assumed obligation to his memory.
Huntingky likes this.

"We've always done it that way" - the most dangerous words ever spoken

71 Mach 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page