goodyear wrangler tires P275/60R20 SR-A - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

goodyear wrangler tires P275/60R20 SR-A

anyone here have anything good to say about these tires ? i was going to buy a set of P275-60R20 for my truck so i deside to check the reviews on these tires!! Wow the reviews for the most part suck, most dodge ram owners are saying do not buy these tires, dangerous in the rain and they wear out easy and fall appart..... i could not believe it! so i thought i would ask here and get your feedback. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 PM

They are stock manufacturer tires. I had some on my last Jeep, not overwhelmed by the performance. When they wore out, replaced with Bridgestone Duelers.

But it depends on what you are doing with your truck. Best snow tires I had on my truck are BFG all terrain T/A 2's. Keep them rotated, they can wear quickly because of compound, but great on snow & ice. I lived in Big Bear years ago, now my truck runs the Bridgstone's for more civilized driving.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

so not the best tire but ok on wet roads ? these guy are saying there slipping and sliding...bad wet traction

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM
(actually Slim Jr now)

We bought our 2002 Escape V6 5 years ago with 90,000 miles. I immediately put on a new set of tires. At the time the top rated all season tire for that vehicle was Firestone Destination LE2. We put 75,000 on the Escape. At 50,000 the tread was
2/3 gone so bought a new set of same tire. 25,000 on the new set the tread is about 1/3 worn.

In 75,000 have had no issue with these tires. It is now second rated to a Michelin LTX M/S2.

We are in Wisconsin. Our daily drivers see all kinds of conditions from driving rain to ice and snow. My wife is the primary
driver of this vehicle so I wanted her car to have top rated tires.

Opinion: The Goodyear Wrangler is highly advertised and very popular as it is often original equipment. Why are you intent on buying these? Price? Surprisingly car makers often equip their vehicles with tires that barely meet the minimum requirements. Remember the famous Uniroyal Tiger Paws, man they came on GTOs they must be great! Not so much!

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstang View Post
so not the best tire but ok on wet roads ? these guy are saying there slipping and sliding...bad wet traction
Like Slim said, factory tires are not always the best. They are brand quality in name only. They do the job, but there are better models of the same brand.

Often, you can only get certain models on new cars because the auto manufacturer has a deal with the tire manufacturer. Just like Walmart sells brand name but you can't get that model at regular tire dealers.

Goodyear makes great tires, but for the price and performance I like Bridgestone/Firestone for a "do all" tire for the family vehicle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Garage
Had 'em on my 13 F150 screw- great on dry, crap on wet. I just bought a set of Yokahama Geolander AT/S tires for about $800, and so far am totally impressed. They handled great in the snow we just had, wet was waaay better than the Goodyear's- haven't had ice yet to tell but guessing they'll be good.

BTW- I sold the take off Goodyears to a guy for his Dodge!

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:11 AM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgstang View Post
anyone here have anything good to say about these tires ? i was going to buy a set of P275-60R20 for my truck so i deside to check the reviews on these tires!! Wow the reviews for the most part suck, most dodge ram owners are saying do not buy these tires, dangerous in the rain and they wear out easy and fall appart..... i could not believe it! so i thought i would ask here and get your feedback. thanks
I repeat my previous question. Why are you hell bent to buy Wranglers? Asked if anyone has something good to say about them. Got a relative that sells Wranglers?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 PM

We have bought Michelin LTX MS/2 for all our work trucks. They offer 70K with wet and dry traction and remarkably quiet to boot.

Goodyear will get you the 70K, but in our experience you can't wait for the 70K to be over so you can replace them with the Michelin's!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I like the Cooper's I put on my Ram a couple years ago... Cooper Discoverer ATS P275/60R20. I wanted something decent with a quiet ride.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

i'm not set on buying these... ran into a great deal on a set with 200 miles on them! i guess its pretty normal that some guys just love them and most others can't say enough bad about them!! i was just curious on what you guys had to say..... i was already way down on them because of just the wet slipping problem alone,i hardly ever drive in snow but if we go to montana i'll have my wife and my furry kids and want something safe. i guess i just wonted you guys to confirm that there crap!! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page