car shows, and the future of the hobby - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 44Likes

post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 AM

Garage
I was never in to entering my car in a show, I do like going to the shows as a spectator to just look at the cars, but then it has to be a classic car show. Mustang shows seem to have become newer Mustang shows 1990 & newer with all the same work done to them. I like cruise ins, there is an ice cream shop near us that every Friday during the summer will open up their back grass lot for anyone to show up & display their old vehicle, or during the summer our town once a week will close off the downtown main st for a 1986 & older car & motorcycle cruise in. They will line up the cars & motorcycles on main st & there is no fee to enter & if you have a chair it has to be back on the grass so everyone can walk around the cars & mingle from 6pm-9pm. They also have a live band once a month during the cruise ins.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 08:11 AM

I can't think of much that is as boring as a car show. I've done several, and it's always me spending 3 days detailing my car, just to go sit in a hot parking lot for 8 hours, doing nothing, impatiently waiting for the awards ceremony to start, seeming like it never will. If there's a show in town, I always go walk around and check out the cars, then leave. It's so much better than entering my own and sitting there all day. Personally, I enjoy doing something with my car, other than cleaning it and letting it sit, like driving the damn thing. I'm all for cruises, poker runs, ect..... And going to to the track and racing it. Things where I'm actually doing something with the car, besides sitting next to it.
aolshove and gt350sr like this.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 AM

My dad and I just went to a mustang club car show last weekend. What a disappointment. There were 6 classics and about 40 or so third generation and up mustangs. I walked the classics, talked to a guy who was looking to buy a 65-68 fastback and was complaining the whole time about how everyone wants an arm and a leg for junk then we left. In my opinion, unless its a large car show and swap meet they aren't worth going to any more. To me it would be time better spent working on, driving and enjoying my mustang or going to events that actually have activities. I know the older generation cars and their owners are getting more and more sparse at these types of events, it's killing the desire for me, and I am sure others to attend.

67 Shelby Clone
410 stroker, RHS heads, FPA headers, Lentech full manual AOD
Global West upper / lower control arms, rear leafs and del-a-lum bushings
Street or Track strut rods, Viking coilovers
Wilwood front disc brakes
-----------------------------------------------------
2008 Shelby Convertible 625 HP
VMP SC 2.5 pulley and tune. Steeda cold air intake
True Forged Sleeper 20x11 and 20x10 wheels
MGW shifter, Tokico D spec shocks and struts
MTF 1 piece headliner, 2008 Shelby seats

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 AM

I understand your thought on this because it happens here too. However, the reason I would be sitting next to my car, 1: I want to keep the public from accidently damaging my car. Belt buckles, soft drinks spilling, kids on bicycles. ... etc.
2: I wanna talk to anyone interested in my car.
3: Sitting next to my car, is what I so when not working on it.
4: finally, when I showed my horses back in the day I never one time opened the arena door and just turned my horse loose. You show them. You take time making them what they are, you take time cleaning then up for the show and then you enjoy the outcome. By the way, lots of county music at horse shows.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:06 AM

We went to a car show yesterday. I took my 07 Roush and my GF took her 64 Triumph Herald. They give awards for people's choice, most smoking burnout, coolest bike etc. The reason I go to this show is because of the people that attend and their cars. Everyone is approachable and more than happy to tell you about their car, some admit that they paid to get things done while other will explain the entire fab process for what they did. Shows like that keep me going back. BTW the Herald got way more votes than my Roush.
Our Cars and Coffee events are awesome. Lots of unique and interesting cars and some of the people are just as unique and interesting. I think nowadays kids aren't interested in staying at a car show all day. They seem to want to meetup for a couple hours then move on to do whatever they want to do. I get that. Their attention span is short lived and they haven't learned to sit for 5hrs or more (unless it is in front of a PS or XBox)
You have your groups that show up together and will typically leave together, the Corvette groups ALWAYS do, newer Mustangs typically as do the Exotics. That is cool, because that is what they do. Sometimes there are so many shows happening on any given weekend you have to pick and choose which to go to.
Find the shows you like and go to those with your car.

LJ

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1663/pg2f.jpg

1951 F1
1957 Chevy 210 2dr Post
1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertable
1963 Corvette Stingray (original survivor car)
1966 Coupe Mustang
1967 Mustang FB
1970 MACH 1
1972 Chevelle (402, 4spd)
2007 Roush Blackjack #10 of 100
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:10 AM

This was the coolest bike at the show yesterday. Totally custom built. Oh yea, that is a real Boss 9 behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.9 KB, 45 views)

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/1663/pg2f.jpg

1951 F1
1957 Chevy 210 2dr Post
1962 Galaxie 500XL Convertable
1963 Corvette Stingray (original survivor car)
1966 Coupe Mustang
1967 Mustang FB
1970 MACH 1
1972 Chevelle (402, 4spd)
2007 Roush Blackjack #10 of 100
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM

post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:51 AM

I didn't read half of the posts ,but I've often felt car shows should 86 the music and let people look and talk,etc. Unless it's live music then that's pretty cool. I notice big shows like carlisle don't play music, nor do cars and coffees, and this other large show I go to. For the record I love music.But it is usually the same songs and too loud at shows.
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Cars & Coffee is the 21st century version of a cruise at the the local burger, drive-in to me. the ones I've been to around here are mostly high end imports ,s , vettes & the occasional late model GT 500. I guess it's the demographic of the Starbucks customer where it's held.
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
I'm a drummer so i aint normal and age dont mean nothin
HAHAHA /thread

OP, You are right to an extent. The cliques, the same music blaring etc. It's actually what turned me off to going to car shows with my Stang. I used to love it and have been asked to join a few of the local clubs, but I just don't get that much enjoyment out of meeting people and their rides when they don't really want to talk to you or let you near their car. It's what shows are for. OP has a valid point about Cars and Coffee. Its literally the only non-profit or non-entry fee show that gets people out of their house at 7 am on a weekend. That's full knowing there is no clique or trophy or cigar smoke in your face when all you really want is to talk about cars with complete strangers and look at some rare or largely unseen cars that show up. In fact that's why I bring my Mustang to Cars and coffee, because its usually one of three classic mustangs there, which in some ways make it special. Not just because there are few, but there are SO many different and rare cars that show up. That's not to say I didn't grow up on American classics only types of shows, but those types in my area have become a veritable Elks lodge hang out.

Last edited by OneTireFire; 08-28-2016 at 02:33 PM.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:20 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Sounds a little like that internet dating thing "It's Just Lunch"!
So would meeting for Jaguars, MGs, Coopers etc be Tea and Crumpets and Cars?
OneTireFire likes this.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Sounds a little like that internet dating thing "It's Just Lunch"!
So would meeting for Jaguars, MGs, Coopers etc be Tea and Crumpets and Cars?
Or a meeting for Toyotas, Datsuns and Suzukis would be Sake and Sushi lol.
Sparky66 likes this.

post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:51 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Yugo collectors could meet in Chicago for Sliders a Coke and Cars.
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

FYI young people White Castles in Chicago used to have little burgers that came to be called sliders 2 for $0.25.
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 PM

Between the 50's music and the owners who don't want to talk about their cars, I find I just hustle through car shows if I bother to go.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page