Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Heartland VMFers (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/heartland-vmfers/)
-   -   Who wants to take a 3-Day Auto Restoration Crash Course??? (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/heartland-vmfers/570174-who-wants-take-3-day-auto-restoration-crash-course.html)

finallya68 02-09-2008 04:47 PM

You guys are gonna love this!!!
I have a friend who runs the Body Shop program for Carl Sandburg College in Galesburg Illinois (160 miles west of Chicago, but real close to Iowa) Last year we put together a crash course 3-day beginners Body Shop class. During the 3 days we covered dent tapping and filling, block sanding, MIG welding, surface prep and spray painting. We took a fender and beat it with a hammer, then tapped out the dents and filled and sanded til ready for paint, then we cut the fender in half and welded it back together, smoothed it over, sanded it, primed it and painted it with base coat/ clear coat. It was baked and then we were able to take it home. We also worked on taking a mangled fender and straightening it out, large area dents like hoods and roofs, windowing in a replacement piece of steel and more.
This was all done in a 3-day period from Thursday-Saturday 8-5. Mike, the instructor, needs 8 students to make it worth while and likes to keep the attendance to a max of 10 to allow enough time to spend with each student hands on. Last year we had 10 and it worked out great. He is also a Mustang guy.
They have a camp ground 2 blocks from the school ($20 a day with electric and sewer hookup) and there are hotels in town as well. We camped and had a great time.

The point to this is that he was pleased with the class I brought out last time and wants to do it again. He is also planning an advanced class covering fabrication, custom painting, spot painting and lead filler. He is thinking about having each advanced student spray a fender then scratch the paint and make a spot repair. Also we will paint some hoods then apply masking tape or patterns and spray custom paint designs. He is also thinking about showing the students how to make a T dolly so each student could have one to take home. The students could use the sheet metal brake to bend metal then weld it together to make channels.

This is a great chance to build your skills and overcome any lack of confidence you might have in your abilities (or realize your short comings). After going through this class, my father-in-law went home and thrashed on his 41 Ford getting the body work done on the entire car in a month, that he thought he could not do after the car sat for 16 years in waiting. I found out that I am a pretty good painter too. My Dad found out that he will let me do the work.

The scheduled dates for these classes are:
Beginner: May 15-17, 2008
Advanced: May 29-31, 2008

The cost is $225 each and that included donuts in the morning and a catered lunch each afternoon (good food).

Anyone interested in signing up please E-MAIL me for the details. Please let me know as soon as you can as there are only 10 slots in each class.

WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND THIS AVAILABLE!!!

Also, if there is something you would like to learn, let me know and we can probably incorporate it into the program if it is not too time consuming.

Here is the signup info. Again please let me know if you are signing up.

OK. Here is the signup info on the Auto Restoration classes discussed in my previous topic:
-Go to: www.sandburg.edu
-click on "WebAdvisor" in the upper right hand corner
-click on "Continuing Education"
-click on "register and pay for continuing education"
-in the search word field type "auto" and hit enter
-The very first class to pop up will be "Auto Restoration Basics" from 5/15-5/17 and near the bottom of the page will be the "Auto Restoration Advanced" class from 5/29-5/31.
These are our classes and the cost is $225 which includes all of the shop materials and breakfast and lunch for all 3 days.

Things you are required to bring are:
- work gloves
- safety glasses
- safety face shield if you have one (recommended)
- dust masks
- respirator mask
- paint suit (optional)

The shop has an abundance of tools but since there will be 10 guys doing the same thing at the same time, if you have some of your own tools it is recommended to bring them.
Things you should bring if you have them:

- Body hammers and dollies
- pneumatic cut off tool
- pneumatic DA sander
- pneumatic - grinder
- welding gloves
- paint gun - Mike will show you how to properly set and spray with your own gun. They have very nice guns there that work great, but if you are going to learn on the best and then go home and use something different it might be beneficial to bring what you will use.
- any other paint and body tools you might have.
I just grabbed a tool box and put all my stuff in it. It worked out well.
Please reference the previous topic for additional info. E-mail me if you have any other questions.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU SIGN UP AND FOR WHICH COURSE SO I CAN KEEP A LIST. THE CLASSES ARE RESTRICTED TO 10 PEOPLE.
Darrell

LarryParratto 04-11-2011 01:33 PM

body shop classes

are these three day classes still available? thanks

moose knuckle 04-12-2011 12:57 AM

This thread is from 2008........