Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos ! - Page 19 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 18Likes

post #271 of 284 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
Late model wheel with EPS in classic Mustang?

Has anyone installed a modern column/wheel with radio and phone controls with the EPS? I was thinking of going down this route to save from cutting my stock column?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:44 AM

this is why you don't let hacks work on your car... if you can't do the work yourself, take it to a shop that does quality work, even if it costs a little more money...it'll be worth it over having to pay to have the work done more than once!

this is the prius set up in my fox body thunderbird...crazy part is, the person who did the work is a welder and a machinist for a living...scary! who know what was done to the input shaft!

Last edited by andrewjs18; 04-03-2019 at 02:50 AM.
post #273 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
this is why you don't let hacks work on your car... if you can't do the work yourself, take it to a shop that does quality work, even if it costs a little more money...it'll be worth it over having to pay to have the work done more than once!

this is the prius set up in my fox body thunderbird...crazy part is, the person who did the work is a welder and a machinist for a living...scary! who know what was done to the input shaft!
What is with that grinding gouge? I understand the relief cut for the pinch bolt, but that gouge is not good.

Got any photos of your TBird? I used to have one that I probably never should have sold. It was a great long distance touring car.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

post #274 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Drove my car last week, worked great.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/m...s-install.html
post #275 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
What is with that grinding gouge? I understand the relief cut for the pinch bolt, but that gouge is not good.

Got any photos of your TBird? I used to have one that I probably never should have sold. It was a great long distance touring car.

I have no idea. it looks like really shoddy work to me. I just picked up a new prius column today and I have a fresh tbird column coming in for my car hopefully sometime next week. it's best to start fresh, I think..

a few months back when my buddy was helping me out with my car, he took a look under the dash and took a short clip of the steering stuff. the shaft moves inside of the coupler before the coupler even moves...you can also hear it clunking around too...

here's a pic of my car:

post #276 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:56 AM

What are you guys using to prevent the motor from rotating?
post #277 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 AM

I use a simple modified L-bracket from the motor to the dash.

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com
post #278 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenichou289 View Post
I use a simple modified L-bracket from the motor to the dash.
happen to have any photos?
post #279 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:18 PM

all, am I correct to assume that the upper shaft comes out of the tube by the threaded end?

attached a photo with an arrow for the direction I assume the shaft comes out..

post #280 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry the person that did this is not a welder OR machinist. He is a meat cutter or butcher. No offense to the meat cutter or butcher.
post #281 of 284 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp68vert2 View Post
I want to thank Waid for all his work and research for this EPS setup. I found his youtube videos back in Oct and have been on the hunt for parts. my closest PullaPart is 50 miles away and doesn't have anything newer than 2004 so last week I bought a complete steering column(steering wheel to linkage) off ebay and the module in a separate auction..

My intention is to piggy back on Waids work and take the next step of enabling the tilt and telescopic column AND move wiper/washer and turn/lights to the Prius/Corolla stalks(adding an elect washer pump motor). I have found that the 04-09 Prius only has tilt and its tilt mechanism seems to be more difficult to make work. It appears that the 2010+ Prius or 09-13 Corolla has tilt/telescopic and the mechanism is more low profile(I have ordered one but dont have one in hand yet). Also note that if you aim to use the wiper/washer switch make sure you don't get a hatchback as it has rear wiper/washer on the stalk too.

The progress that I can report is that the 68 wiper motor is two speed and hooking up the Prius wires not only works but the Intermittent function works (the relay and capacitor are built into the switch) and I suspect the "mist" function works because the motor kicks on when you hold the switch. I have not tested the washer functions yet but this is the wire connections that I have so far.
Prius connector C13(A):
wire 2A(white/black) goes to ground;
Prius connector C14(B):
wire 1B(small green) goes to mustang motor wire 28A(black)
wire 2B(large green) goes to mustang motor wire 63(red)
wire 3B(large red) goes to mustang motor wire 58(white)
wire 4B(large white) goes to mustang motor wire 56(blue)

Did you make any progress on this? I'm really interested to see if this worked out.
post #282 of 284 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
happen to have any photos?
Here you go. It's a pretty thick bracket and does not budge at all. (of course the picture is sideways, but you get the idea)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2081.jpg (416.5 KB, 5 views)

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com
post #283 of 284 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenichou289 View Post
Here you go. It's a pretty thick bracket and does not budge at all. (of course the picture is sideways, but you get the idea)

thanks
post #284 of 284 (permalink) Old Today, 04:55 PM

For those who are concerned with return to center I performed an experiment. I myself are not concerned with it. I just steer it into a corner or turn and just steer it out, I donít even think about it it comes naturally.

I have a Equinox unit with the Bruno box. I cranked the assist up all the way. Drove thru my neighborhood made turns and wheel returns to center like one would expect. Turn the assist to the level to about ľ that I normally set it to and itís sluggish to return. It starts to return but doesnít quite make it.

My reasoning is these systems that we are adapting to our cars the assist is controlled by a computer that's using a speed sensor signal at the minimum. And some of them use yaw rate sensors in addition. So at slower speeds they can offer added assist which helps with return to center.

So by using it in fail safe (which I heard it defaults to about 40 mph) your never going to get the full function of the unit. Same thing if you have a Bruno box. You need to input a signal the way the powertrain computer inputs to the EPS computer. It may not be just a speed signal.

I know when when EPS came out for the vehicles I was working on they were too sensitive at hiway speeds. They ended up having a ECU re-program to address the issue. The re-program was to the engine/trans ECU.

I myself love my EPS with the means to control the assist with a rheostat. I have it about 4 years made a big difference the way it drives compared to the OEM PS with the ram/control valve setup. Not concerned with return to center but thought I was pass along my observations to those that are.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page