671 blower - Vintage Mustang Forums
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 204
671 blower

Is anyone running a 671 blower on a 351 Windsor?

I'm going to be removing my Air Gap/QFT 850/MSD Pro Billet, and installing a 671 blower/two QFT 650 blower referenced carbs, and a duraspark distributor. I figure I'm going to have to run colder plugs, but is there anything else I should know?
jsimmonstx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Rorin67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: At the beach in SoCal
Posts: 2,808
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
is there anything else I should know?
Only that it will look TOTALLY AWESOME!

Huskinhano, app01, Israel and 3 others like this.

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
Rorin67 is offline  
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorin67 View Post
Only that it will look TOTALLY AWESOME!


My wife thinks they're ugly.
jsimmonstx is offline  
 
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
JD08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 2,199
Your wife is wrong.
fordguy, Rorin67, Israel and 4 others like this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
JD08 is offline  
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
gt350sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 5,587
Garage
If she's anything like mine- I dare you to tell her that!!

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
gt350sr is offline  
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
If she's anything like mine- I dare you to tell her that!!


Well, she's been wrong before, but I see no reason to poke the bear.
j persons and gt350sr like this.
jsimmonstx is offline  
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Bob & Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Buckley,WA
Posts: 1,112
Depends on how hard you're going to run the engine I've had 671's & 871's on SB Chev 377 stroker, 392 & 426 Hemis all running nitro, you may want to put a pulley combination that lowers the boost down to around 7-8 lbs for street use. What compression pistons are you running, are they stock rods? The lower your compression the more boost you can give it with pulley changes but with stock pistons & rods I wouldn't put much boost on it you wont gain much unless you're racing it.
Just my opinion someone may have some other advice.
Bob & Sue is offline  
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Sue View Post
Depends on how hard you're going to run the engine I've had 671's & 871's on SB Chev 377 stroker, 392 & 426 Hemis all running nitro, you may want to put a pulley combination that lowers the boost down to around 7-8 lbs for street use. What compression pistons are you running, are they stock rods? The lower your compression the more boost you can give it with pulley changes but with stock pistons & rods I wouldn't put much boost on it you wont gain much unless you're racing it.
Just my opinion someone may have some other advice.
Dart block, forged bottom end, h-beam rods, 10.5 compression, planning on 5-6 pounds of boost.
jsimmonstx is offline  
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Bob & Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Buckley,WA
Posts: 1,112
Sounds like some good equipment with 10.5 compression I'd suggest no more than 5-6 lbs using at least 105 octane non ethanol gas, after running it for awhile 1-2 hours of street driving I'd check the plugs for any signs of detonation and keep a close eye on it it's better to run rich than lean. Not 100% sure on a street motor but you might look into some thicker head gaskets to lower the compression if you feel it's a problem.
Bob & Sue is offline  
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Sue View Post
Sounds like some good equipment with 10.5 compression I'd suggest no more than 5-6 lbs using at least 105 octane non ethanol gas, after running it for awhile 1-2 hours of street driving I'd check the plugs for any signs of detonation and keep a close eye on it it's better to run rich than lean. Not 100% sure on a street motor but you might look into some thicker head gaskets to lower the compression if you feel it's a problem.


We don't have a local source for 105 octane that I'm aware of, so it's gonna have to live with 93. Dyers recommended 3-4 pounds of boost, but my engine guy said 5 would be okay.
jsimmonstx is offline  
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Boom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tomah, WI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
We don't have a local source for 105 octane that I'm aware of, so it's gonna have to live with 93. Dyers recommended 3-4 pounds of boost, but my engine guy said 5 would be okay.
Do you have a race track nearby? We have a moto GP track here and there is a Sonoco fuel guy/dealer that can deliver race fuels in 55 gallon drums to your house/shop.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
Boom is offline  
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
LSG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 2,460
Tongue why no ethanol ?

Bob & Sue, why recommend fuel with no ethanol on a blower engine ? It would seem that ethanol in the fuel, for a blower or a turbo car, is exactly what you want. The more the better. We have turbo'd and super'd customers who have switched out to E85and they love it. Can you explain ? LSG
LSG is offline  
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Lukesportsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Western Indiana
Posts: 1,278
I run E85 on several cars from a 12.5:1 sbf to a 15:1 BBF and a TT 5.4. BUT a 93 octane gas with ethanol mix is just that. Its a fuel that just makes 93 octane after the addition of the alcohol, not a 93 premium fuel + alcohol. So its not true premium gasoline. An additional problem with these added blended fuels (and I do run these pump fuels myself on drivers) is that they aren't consistent on blend and therefore not consistent on AFR's either. If your getting near the limits, then this can make you lean and burn a ring or lift a head.

I'm not suggesting a mixed fuel is junk. It's just hard to know what you have with a mixed blend and sadly in areas of the country that is just about all there is at a pump station.

YES alcohol and E85 is loved......LOVED.......by boosted engines. 10.5:1 boosted is full steam ahead and "game on" with E85 if available. Just don't let it gel up over winter.

69 351 TKO Sport Roof, Ride Tech coilover
70 557 PG Mach I tube chassis 2650lb
70 427 TKO Sport Roof, SoT full chassis to be
70 351 FMX Mach I
67 347 TKO Coupe SoT/CAT5
67 289 C4 Coupe stockish cruiser
69 460 TKO Vert, Mustang Plus Grab a Track
94 351 TKO AIX, Maximum Motorsports
01 5.4 4L80E Twins and CrMo caged
11 5.0 Magnum XL single turbo Griggs
Lukesportsman is offline  
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
69bosssvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pomfret, Maryland
Posts: 1,751
Garage
Sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2422.jpg (56.4 KB, 60 views)

69bosssvt is offline  
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Bob & Sue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Buckley,WA
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
Bob & Sue, why recommend fuel with no ethanol on a blower engine ? It would seem that ethanol in the fuel, for a blower or a turbo car, is exactly what you want. The more the better. We have turbo'd and super'd customers who have switched out to E85and they love it. Can you explain ? LSG

The only reason not to run an ethanol blend from a gas station is you don't know how old the gas is ethanol has a short life at most about 90 days the gas your buying may have been in the stations tank for months and has already separated and absorbed moisture. A 93 octane blend is only about 84 octane with the ethanol raising it to 93 if it's already started to separate you may only be burning 84 to 93 octane you don't what your burning. I'd only burn ethanol blends if I tested it and ran it out of the tank within a couple weeks.
Just my opinion from burnt pistons.

Here's a couple sites explaining it.
Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life

http://nationalpetroleum.net/Ethanol...tion-facts.pdf
Bob & Sue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome