GT500 Brembo brakes on 68 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

GT500 Brembo brakes on 68 Mustang

Just like the title says, I'd like to see what it takes to put the 14" 2007-2012 GT500 brakes on a 68.
The brakes themselves can be had for alot cheaper then other options.
https://lmr.com/item/M2300S/Mustang-...e-Kit-M-2300-S

Things I know:
I know it will require 18" wheels
It will require a spacer of some sort
MustangSteve sells bracket to mount S197 brakes to out spindles

Things I need to figure out:
How much clearance the wheels need to clear the caliper
What backspacing/offset I need for the front wheels to sit properly in our fenderwell

I know some people will complain its not needed/18" wheels are too big, etc.... I want to try it to be different. I already have 13" Cobra brakes with 17" wheels on one car, I'd like to try something different on the fastback. I love the options from SoT and such but i am worried about sourcing pads/rotors down the road for those types of systems. GT500 pads/rotors can be had locally for a normal price.

Some helpful links I found regarding installing these brakes on various models.

Kit to install on an SN95 car:
https://www.fullytorquedracing.com/m...brake-kit.html

Link to install instructions from Ford on 05+:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...htM-2300-S.pdf

I want to put these on a 68 fastback, manual brakes, it has a SoT Coilover front suspension.

I have seen people put SN95 and S197 wheels on these cars using spacers and kits to use the S197 brakes, but I haven't seen them together much it seems (wheels and brakes on classic).

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

This is going to require either an adapter or a custom wheel. I would rather go with an adapter to help keep costs reasonable and in case I want to change wheels down the road.

That being said, I'd prefer to get with as small of an adapter as possible. This car is not going to be raced so it doesn't need to pass race rules/inspections however I do want it to be safe to drive.

Using basic "Bullit" style wheel as reference below

1968 wheels in an 18"x8" have 0 offset with 4.5" BS

2004 wheels in an 18"x8" have +30 offset with 5.6" BS

2005 wheels in an 18"x8" have +30 offset with 5.6" BS

Trying to learn some of this stuff as I go here. The main hurdle thats hard to figure out so far is what is required to clear the Brembo caliper on each wheel. Some OE wheels clear and some don't.

It would make the most sense to find a OE (preferably 1999-2004) type wheel that clears the Brembos that is also within the max width we can run on our cars (8.5"-9") so I can use the various kits you can find, such as this one:
http://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-ada...65-1970/p/WAK/

Don't think its a good idea to use an adapter to change the backspacing allowing a wheel to fit AND run a spacer to push the wheel to clear the caliper. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Just like the title says, I'd like to see what it takes to put the 14" 2007-2012 GT500 brakes on a 68.
The brakes themselves can be had for alot cheaper then other options.
https://lmr.com/item/M2300S/Mustang-...e-Kit-M-2300-S

Things I know:
I know it will require 18" wheels
It will require a spacer of some sort
MustangSteve sells bracket to mount S197 brakes to out spindles

Things I need to figure out:
How much clearance the wheels need to clear the caliper
What backspacing/offset I need for the front wheels to sit properly in our fenderwell

I know some people will complain its not needed/18" wheels are too big, etc.... I want to try it to be different. I already have 13" Cobra brakes with 17" wheels on one car, I'd like to try something different on the fastback. I love the options from SoT and such but i am worried about sourcing pads/rotors down the road for those types of systems. GT500 pads/rotors can be had locally for a normal price.

Some helpful links I found regarding installing these brakes on various models.

Kit to install on an SN95 car:
https://www.fullytorquedracing.com/m...brake-kit.html

Link to install instructions from Ford on 05+:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...htM-2300-S.pdf

I want to put these on a 68 fastback, manual brakes, it has a SoT Coilover front suspension.

I have seen people put SN95 and S197 wheels on these cars using spacers and kits to use the S197 brakes, but I haven't seen them together much it seems (wheels and brakes on classic).
He has brackets (vintage Mustang spindles) for the correct calipers AND the 14" rotors?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
He has brackets (vintage Mustang spindles) for the correct calipers AND the 14" rotors?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
He has brackets for to mount S197 brakes onto the vintage Mustang spindle. The GT500 caliper is designed to mount on the same spindle as the GT. The link to FRPP instructions show them installing the 14" kit onto a regular GT with no additional mods.

The 14" rotors are just the stock OEM GT500 rotors.

I assume Mustang Steve doesn't market the kit for the larger brake option, as its not something the vintage community is currently asking for. Especially since it pretty much demands 18" wheels.

Mustang Steve brake kit link:
http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

Kit Description from his site:
part number GT2008-FT

Mustang GT 12.5" & 13.2" & V6 12.5" Front Retrofit Kits for 65-73 Drum Brake Spindles and Hubs

(and other Fords using similar spindle) 17" wheels required

Use of the 13.2” brakes may require fitting of 18” wheels to clear the larger diameter rotor/caliper assembly.
Some 17” wheels may clear, but owner is responsible to verify fitting of wheels on the larger brakes.

FRONT
This kit will allow installation of late model 2005 - 2009 Mustang GT 12.5" rotors and calipers or 2011-current Mustang GT 13.2" rotors and calipers onto existing DRUM BRAKE hubs
and spindles.
Removal of spindles from the car is not necessary.
Front end alignment is not necessary.
Brackets bolt to original drum brake spindles, utilizing drum brake hubs after removal of hub
Mustang GT 12.5" rotors fit snug to the existing stud shoulders on the existing drum brake spindles
Mustang GT calipers bolt to the brackets.
Vehicle's TRACK WIDTH is not changed. Normal wheel backspacing is maintained. Can use late model 94-04 wheels with 1" spacer if desired.
FRONT CALIPER BRACKETS ARE CAD DESIGNED AND CUT ON STATE-OF-THE-ART LASER MACHINES.
Brackets are made out of steel..

FULL INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED WITH EACH KIT

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

Last edited by Boom; 01-08-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I think I figured out the wheel/caliper interference issue with our cars. There shouldn't be any since we have to use a spacer anyway to mount a newer style wheel. As long as the wheel fits over the brake assembly, there shouldn't be issues.

The below write-up is an article on installing wheels spacers and the car involved has the same GT500 Brembo kit I'm wanting to use. You can see that even with the 1" spacer the Brembo caliper still hangs out almost to where the wheel mounts. Monster of a caliper
How to Install Wheel Spacers on Your 1994-2012 Mustang | AmericanMuscle

I have asked over Mustang Steve's forum to see what he thinks, but I don't see any major issues with the set-up. Maybe I'm missing something, what do you guys think?

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 PM

I don't have GT500 brakes, but as a reference and more info, I have 14" 6 piston front Wilwoods. It says minimum 18" wheel for their kit, but I have enough room to run a 17" wheel. Obviously there are quite a few variables too.

1969 MaCh 1 - CHP 427w 10.8 comp
460 rwhp / 489 rwtq SAE

TFS 205cc 11R heads || Vic Jr. intake || Holley 950HP || 14" 6 piston / 13" 4 piston Wilwood brakes || T56 Magnum || SPEC 2+ hyd clutch || Detroit Locker || 3.70's || Aluminum DS || TCP R&P || TCP 1 1/8" front sway bar || TCP front adj coilover's || TCP Panhard Rod & rear sway bar || Maier rear leafs || Bilstein shocks || Forgeline GA3C wheels - 18"10", 19"x12" 325/30
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Interested in seeing what you come up with as I have had this exact thought.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I won't be able to physically verify any of this until March, I'm stuck in training until then with nothing to do except research and dream.
@Evil Twin, thanks for the info. I will def try my old 17's to see if they clear. I would pretty much need new front wheels at a minimum to clear the caliper and fit under the fender, but a 17" would be more preferred. I believe I saw LMR lists one of their 17" drag wheels can fit over the Brembo kit.

I can't see any reason currently why this set-up won't work. Now to figure out the rears....I saw a kit to mount the 13+ GT500 rear rotors (13.8") on an S197 GT (11.8") still working out the details on that one though.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Got a reply from Mustang Steve on using his brackets for the GT500 Brembos:

"You will have to do some clearance grinding on the GT2008-FT brackets to clear the larger pistons on the Brembo calipers, but they will bolt up with the same offset and bolt pattern."

Looks like some parts need to be ordered and test fit together.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:03 AM

hey mate, I'll be watching with interest. Where there's a will there's a way
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
I have the 13.2" brakes using the Mustang Steve brackets, with good ol' Torq Thrust 2 wheel 17x8 with 4.75" BS, very tight fit between caliper and wheel but fits none the less. I don't think you will have much issue just choose your wheel wisely- or plan on using a spacer.

ET: [email protected] mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 PM
fej

The right 18" wheel will clear from my days of researching that option, probably worth looking at the S197 forums as a lot of track guys went and got 18" wheels in lieu of the factory 19" that came with the brake package upgrade option for the non-GT500 cars. The extra width of the 14" rotor using the same brackets makes me wonder a little, but Steve usually R&D's stuff damn well. I doubt very much that "any" 18" wheel will clear that package however, has to have the right offset/hub/hoop etc.

G'luck

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys.

I plan on running an SN95 (94-04) style wheel so a spacer is required for that anyway. This should push the wheel far enough away that there shouldn't be any spoke/caliper issues.

I don't think the bigger rotor will affect the bracket's strength enough to cause concern. Mustang Steve's reply makes it seem like he has encountered this combination before, or maybe he just happen to have a set of GT500 Brembos and his S197 brackets laying around.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:01 AM

possible?

Has anyone completed this swap yet? I have reached out to Mustang Steve and am waiting for a replay before I pull the trigger on some new Brembo calipers.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I went a different direction with some custom brakes from streetortrack. However, here is teh thread where I asked Mustang Steve about the Brembo swap:

FYI FORD MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum GT500 Brembo brakes on 1968 Mustang

The only hang up I would have is getting the proper wheel studs. I have the 04 Cobra brakes on my coupe and the rotor has a tiny bit of play where it can "spin" since the studs aren't the same size. I have an extra set of hubs, thought about playing around with them and a GT500 rotor to find a good combo with minimal modification.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page