Vooodoo too - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsams View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by overkill for a MII suspension? From the photos it looks like you can't have any sort of shock tower remaining for the engine to fit. A couple of the MII kits have corrected geometry such as the TCI version. For the price of the voodoo you can build several aluminum 347s....
I just meant that a GT350 has an extremely well tuned suspension to make use of the engine across the powerband. The MII is a compromise on any level, but necessary to get any modular engine to fit. My math tells me I can build a 408W and a TKO for ~ $10k or buy a Voodoo/3160 for ~$20k. The voodoo is 10K "cooler" in my book, but is the step down in suspension worth the price of admission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
I just meant that a GT350 has an extremely well tuned suspension to make use of the engine across the powerband. The MII is a compromise on any level, but necessary to get any modular engine to fit. My math tells me I can build a 408W and a TKO for ~ $10k or buy a Voodoo/3160 for ~$20k. The voodoo is 10K "cooler" in my book, but is the step down in suspension worth the price of admission.
Just spend another 10K and go Detroit speed or Mike Maier Mod 2
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 AM

Wow... Not 20k cooler. Thanks for the info though!

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
Is the voodoo overkill for a MII front end?
You do realize you're talking about a Detroit Speed Alumaframe front suspension? C5/6 Corvette spindles and modern SLA geometry?

Quote:
A couple of the MII kits have corrected geometry such as the TCI version.
At least two kits are okay? Can you name the Mustang suspension kits that have geometry problems? Anything like bump steer and so forth. It would be good to know which kits to avoid.

Come on people. You see a shock-tower-delete suspension and immediately think Pinto kits from the 1980s. It could be a cantilevered SLA geometry out of an F1 car, but if it's missing the shock towers and it's in a Ford, then it must be MII. This topic has been beaten to death.

Guys, please don't critique and derail anyone's extremely cool build thread. Just watch and enjoy. I you don't like their choices, then don't post.

Quote:
For the price of the voodoo you can build several aluminum 347s.
Please, please point me to where I can get a complete SBF aluminum block 347 crate motor for $7K. Seriously, I would love to go that route. The cheapest aluminum crate motor I've found so far is the Coyote.
Huntingky and image98 like this.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvtoolfool View Post

Please, please point me to where I can get a complete SBF aluminum block 347 crate motor for $7K. Seriously, I would love to go that route. The cheapest aluminum crate motor I've found so far is the Coyote.
Ok show me where I can buy a new voodoo for 7k? We werenít discussing a coyote thatís I knew of.
As far as the OP goes, I donít believe anyone was bashing him. If you want a modern engine, he is doing it right. In fact all of his builds are pretty fantastic. Of course that was before he had a wife 😁
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Garage
I know the pain of fighting lines and gaps It's worth it in the end, though.

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Ok show me where I can buy a new voodoo for 7k?
You made that claim, not me. Unless I misunderstood, you said "several" aluminum 347s for one Voodoo. The work "several" implies at least three, right? If we assume $20K per Voodoo and I'm very generous with the rounding, that equals about $7K per aluminum block 347. Really, I'm not being sarcastic. I'd love to know where I can buy an aluminum block 347 crate motor for about $7K. Heck, I'd like to find one for less than $10K.

I mentioned the Coyote because it's the only all aluminum crate motor I've seen around $7K (not the stupid Gen-3 with DI). That ignores the low mileage LKQ pullout motors that start around $2K. And at least the Coyote is germane to this thread. After all, the Voodoo is a step-child of the Coyote. The heads are interchangable and both have the same installation problems to overcome.

Quote:
As far as the OP goes, I donít believe anyone was bashing him.
Debating alternative build choices (such as engine and suspension) within the context of a build thread (like this one) is pretty much the definition of critique. Not to mention that continuing this conversation is pretty much the definition of derailing a thread. So I'm done. This is an awesome build and I love every choice. Can't wait to see more.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Debating alternative build choices (such as engine and suspension) within the context of a build thread (like this one) is pretty much the definition of critique. Not to mention that continuing this conversation is pretty much the definition of derailing a thread. So I'm done. This is an awesome build and I love every choice. Can't wait to see more.
I wasn't bashing or critiquing him at all, I was just trying to follow his though process with an honest question. There was no debate, it was just a question. He has had a couple builds and does things thoroughly and I appreciate him sharing with the forum. I don't know much about the Detroit Speed products, so I'll read up.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I don't see anything to be this sensitive about. Let me help.

Mustang II front suspensions suck. I hate to see them, it kills the build and makes me gloss over it and forget it exists. No engine is worth it. I'd rather have the Pinto engine if it means I don't have to have the Pinto suspension.

Now you can get mad!
69bosssvt likes this.

1965 Mustang
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage

post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Most of the builds are "purpose" builds for SEMA using certain sponsored products... I have used mustang II styled front suspensions usually to promote a certain manufacturers products. I've used Kenne Bell, as well as Magnussen super chargers... both atomic efi and FAST fuel systems... My opinion is that they all work well as long as the install considers every geometrical strenghts and weakness involved. We have been using DSE on several builds and get a great deal on the set up by using more of them. It will be my first car that I will " keep" for myself using the front and rear DSE suspension. It will go to SEMA in November, but not sure which booth it will be in yet. I hope that I like the car enough to want to hold onto it ( I really like my original classics lately) FWIW
Huntingky likes this.

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM

How hard is the DSE install? Does the guide sleeve they show on their videos allow you to drill by hand through both sides of the frame rail to install their crush sleeves?
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
How hard is the DSE install? Does the guide sleeve they show on their videos allow you to drill by hand through both sides of the frame rail to install their crush sleeves?
Not a difficult install...measure, measure measure...we drilled mine by hand for the sleeves...

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been a while, been busy building restomod corvettes for some reason...just mocking up the roll bar so it is not so noticeable in the window from the side angle...just put together a big order of parts and will be concentrating on this car now...crunch time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82056.jpg (333.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 82055.jpg (311.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 82054.jpg (353.2 KB, 1 views)
Huntingky likes this.

post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As far as the debates "inside" my thread...it doesn't bother me...it's good to hear what everyone is thinking and it definitely won't have any bearing on my direction...at least people are paying attention...
Huntingky likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page