Firewall Flexing...looking for options - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Firewall Flexing...looking for options

I'm doing a t5 conversion in my '65 Mustang and went with the mustang Steve setup. I bought his firewall adjuster, fox booster, pedals with the quadrant, and the reinforcement plate for the firewall where the pedals mount to the firewall.

Everything is hooked up now. While I was adjusting the clutch cable I couldn't help but notice a horrible creaking noise and tons of firewall flex. See video below (copy and paste into the address bar if clicking the link doesn't work)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq0rbhaiSGJ0gZEYbT8Nu-l9nenP4Q

Is this anything I should be concerned about? I'm worried that the firewall will crack over time. To be honest I'm quite upset that I invested as much as I did into this setup only to see so much flex in the firewall.

I'm not sure what to do right now and am looking for options. I could leave it as is and stop worrying about it. If I convert to a hydraulic clutch setup then I'll have the big hole in the firewall from the clutch adjuster and I'll need to convert to manual brakes because the hydraulic clutch setup doesn't fit with the booster there. If I convert to manual brakes I will then have the problem of my firewall being modified for the bolt pattern of the fox booster. I'd prefer not to run manual brakes if I can help it because I'm running Cobra disc brakes on all four corners.

Any thoughts or ideas on where I should go from here?

Corey
1965 Mustang Coupe
2001 Camaro z28
2006 300 SRT8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 PM

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla5675 View Post
It looks like that's for manual brakes only, yea? Or will it work with a brake booster?

Corey
1965 Mustang Coupe
2001 Camaro z28
2006 300 SRT8

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Garage
I don't think it'll clear the booster by the looks of it, but they might offer a different one. I actually added a flat plate behind mine too, came with the Ron Morris kit, lengthened the pushrod the same, and it works fine. Your video won't open, so not sure just how bad yours really is, but mine barely moves at all.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Proof View Post
It looks like that's for manual brakes only, yea? Or will it work with a brake booster?
Buy the parts from McMaster-Carr and fit it where you can.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Have you contacted Mustang Steve about your concerns? Many, many of us have his products including the cable clutch conversion kit. Steve will surely be available to assist you. Hopefully, it is nothing that can't be resolved easily and inexpensively.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 12:30 PM

I've read a few threads about firewall flex.

Is this an issue with hydraulic clutches too, or is it more of a cable clutch issue?

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM

One of my earliest memories about driving an early 'Stang is how I could feel in my feet the floor and lower firewall flex when hitting standing water with any speed Not rotten just the way it was.
If you strip it apart I wonder if a doubling of the skin and panel bond or spot weld might be good?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
I've read a few threads about firewall flex.

Is this an issue with hydraulic clutches too, or is it more of a cable clutch issue?

I have a hydraulic clutch and feel some flex as well.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to Mustang Steve and he advised that this is all normal. He mentioned even the original manual transmission mustangs with the linkage have firewall flex. Seems like this is nothing I should really worry about too much.

Corey
1965 Mustang Coupe
2001 Camaro z28
2006 300 SRT8
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:27 AM

WHen I put my hydraulic master in, I welded a small 1/8" plate with some gusseting (with two nuts welded to it) to the clutch/brake pedal housing so the master bolts directly to the housing sandwiching the firewall and therefore eliminating all flex. I didn't like the flex. I tend to over-engineer things as these types of projects are part of what I enjoy about this hobby, (winters are long here). The design is such that all the stresses never leave the housing...
Rufus68 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
WHen I put my hydraulic master in, I welded a small 1/8" plate with some gusseting (with two nuts welded to it) to the clutch/brake pedal housing so the master bolts directly to the housing sandwiching the firewall and therefore eliminating all flex. I didn't like the flex. I tend to over-engineer things as these types of projects are part of what I enjoy about this hobby, (winters are long here). The design is such that all the stresses never leave the housing...
How big was the 1/8" plate? Do you have any photos of it, I have some 1/8" plate and a brand new throatless shear I want to use.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Boy if you lived near me, this would cost you a beer - took a while to get decent shots... The gussetting looks like 1/8" but the plate looks thinner. I did this years ago so frankly I'm just happy I remembered I did it...

Cheers,

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch master mount II - small.jpg (94.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CLutch master mount -small.jpg (97.8 KB, 83 views)
67Modcoupe likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 08-05-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Boy if you lived near me, this would cost you a beer - took a while to get decent shots... The gussetting looks like 1/8" but the plate looks thinner. I did this years ago so frankly I'm just happy I remembered I did it...

Cheers,

M
Thanks, I owe you an adult beverage

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM

I agree that even new, there was a lot of firewall flex on most of them. I had one that had very solid firewall, and two speed wipers. Turn those wipers on high and you could feel it in your feet every time those wipers whipped past.
50 Proof likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page