Fuel pump broke or undersized? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By trkpny2
  • 1 Post By zray

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump broke or undersized?

I've been running this Holley Mighty Mite fuel pump for three years:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-427

This year it started acting fuel starved so I swapped out all the filters and fixed that problem. However, I noticed that even after the filter changes I was having fuel pressure drops under WOT. It idles at around 4.5 psi, but after an eighth mile of WOT it will drop down to under one psi (at which point I let out of the throttle).

I never checked it when new, so now I don't know if the pump is petering out or if it's undersized. I would like to just get another one (for ease of installation), but I don't want to replace undersized with undersized and get the same problem.

Engine is a mild port 94 5.0L with a crappy 289 edelbrock performer intake and mid length headers. Well under the 400hp that the pump is advertised for.

So, replace or upgrade?

1966 Mustang 302ci 4r70w, csrp front discs, 8.8 rear, EPAS, Fitech for fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM

What type of fuel pressure gauge are you using and where is it located at? What carb are you using?

Last edited by cmefly; 09-06-2017 at 10:24 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
What type of fuel pressure gauge are you using and where is it located at? What carb are you using?
I just have a generic parts store gauge and I put it between the filter and carb. I'm using a summit brand carb. The carb is like an autolite 4100 I think. 600cfm with vac secondaries. Rebuilt three years back.

I'm pretty sure the gauge works cause it was showing low psi and rapid drop-off of psi consistent with how it was running before the filter changes. After the filter changes it did show improvement and slower psi drop.
My gauge also shows vacuum. I'm getting about -17 at idle

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 02:31 PM

If you are running at WOT for any length of time you should seriously consider the results of an over lean condition. Is the motor worth the extra money to keep it well fed with fuel. Think about using a more capable fuel pump. It will only feed what the motor uses, much like an alternator feeding the electrical system.
FireDog likes this.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab200/aslaned/unnamed_1.jpgChuck Wiltens
MCA Gold card - Modified - Judge
Assistant National Head Judge-3rd Generation
MCA#50308
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkpny2 View Post
If you are running at WOT for any length of time you should seriously consider the results of an over lean condition. Is the motor worth the extra money to keep it well fed with fuel. Think about using a more capable fuel pump. It will only feed what the motor uses, much like an alternator feeding the electrical system.
I'm with you totally. Are the specs on that pump I'm using adequate? Or should I look into upgrading?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 PM

You may have a clogged line at the tank or a pinched fuel line. It will pass enough fuel for idle but not for WOT

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracr View Post
I just have a generic parts store gauge and I put it between the filter and carb….."

FYI: all liquid filled gauges will show a dramatic drop off of pressure when they get HOT. The actual fuel pressure is essentially unchanged .

In other words, whatever information you want to get from an underhood gauge, get it before the motor heats up and by extension the gauge gets hot too. Once the gauge gets hot, you might as well not even look at it.

Z
FireDog likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM

copracr, I would upgrade the pump. 32gph is simply not enough fuel for what you are doing. I just upgraded my billet Holley mechanical pump which was apparently rated at 170gph to a Clay Smith pump that puts out somewhere in the 200gph range to solve my fuel starvation problem at sustained 5,500rpm on the road course. There are plenty of inexpensive electrical pumps out there, so spend as much as you can on a decent pump. Other factors also come into play, such as fuel line size ( min.3/8"), filter capabilities to match the pump output, and whether or not to run a return style regulator/system. I am running -8 (1/2") supply and return and an Aeromotive 13301 bypass regulator. Good luck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
What size are your fuel lines? Is the pump within 12 inches of the tank like mentioned in the specs?

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
FYI: all liquid filled gauges will show a dramatic drop off of pressure when they get HOT. The actual fuel pressure is essentially unchanged .

In other words, whatever information you want to get from an underhood gauge, get it before the motor heats up and by extension the gauge gets hot too. Once the gauge gets hot, you might as well not even look at it.

Z
What he said
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

The fuel tank and sending unit are new.

5/16" lines.

Pump is mounted at about mid fuel tank height and about 9" of hose from tank to pump.

I ran my gauge out from under the hood and put it under my wiper blade so it wouldn't get hot and so I could see it while driving.

trkpny2- I was wondering about the Holley claim that 32gph is good for 400hp. That seemed a little low to me, but I went with it. Now I'm wondering if it's just not sufficient for my mild 302 making maybe 275hp, lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page