Novi 2000 conversion complete - Vintage Mustang Forums
 17Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Novi 2000 conversion complete

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to share the latest chapter in my car build. I did have a basic efi 302 with cam/gt40p heads/exhaust that made 255rwhp. It was fine for about 2 months then I wanted more power ha ha.

Found a novi 2000 for a reasonable price so bought it. What I thought would be a simple add on ending up not being so simple, but anyway, that's cars isn't it. Saw the seal was leaking so taught myself how to rebuild the novi. Had to clearance the valves covers, clearance the brackets slightly, clearance water pump bolt housings etc etc. Nothing major just time consuming.
Took the gt40p heads off, added 9333pt1 gaskets and arp head studs. Decided to keep the gt40p heads for now. I am using the stock novi pulley for now, but do have a smaller one for later on(in about a month ha ha)
Also added a larger radiator to help keep the thing cool.

Decided(as you do) while everything was apart, the stock ford ecu was getting old, so purchased a Haltech Elite ecu. Wired that in, added LS3 coils and a 36-1 trigger wheel. Put in a late model ford cam synch, so I have sequential fueling. Also allowed me to get rid of the maf and go to a Haltech map sensor.

I have also added a Snow Performance water/meth injection kit. The alloy reservoir next to the novi is the meth tank, and the pump is under the battery tray. It runs off a controller that looks like a gauge, which measures boost also.

I have it up and running, everything seems fine and working well. It is going in to get dyno tuned in two days. This is purely a street car. Main reason for meth was the fact I can't get a 4" cold air intake pipe to the novi inlet, as there is just no room due to how close it is mounted to the shock towers. Meth should keep it nice and cool under boost.

Stay tuned for dyno results

sycostang67 and Huntingky like this.

Last edited by hus65; 01-15-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Here's the crank trigger setup.

Used a pro race balancer. Had 3mm milled of the pulley spacer, which then allows the trigger wheel, which is 3mm, to sit in between and not effect pulley spacing. Had the locating ring that came with the pro race balancer milled down to centre locate all the pieces.
The crank trigger bracket is from Innovators West. I had to modify it slightly, through no fault of theres. I wanted to have the sensor higher, so had to drill/tap a few more holes. As mentioned, I had to clearance the lower water pump bolt housing and shorten the bolt, as it hit the trigger wheel.

Boom likes this.

Last edited by hus65; 01-14-2018 at 11:49 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 AM

That is some very nice work on a super nice looking car. What are you wanting to see when you get back on the dyno, number wise?

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Boom.
Honestly I have no expectations. I have clear guidelines on how much timing I want to run(no more than 20 on the gt40p heads as they don't like timing, especially under boost). I also want to keep the rpm's to 5500, and afr conservative(although I am adding meth).

Afterwards, I can adjust things and add a bit more timing if I see fit, or up the rpm etc. After this motor goes, it's a dart block, and then we can go all out. I have tried to future proof myself with some of the parts, so I can just upgrade the block/heads and be done with it.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Awesome job.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Howe do you like the coil set-up you're using? I've been thinking of doing that, but I have a 351w so it's a bit harder to find a decent cam signal replacement. Looking at the Holley dual sync distributor so I can have timed sequential injection as well. I'm putting together a Holley HP set-up.

You mentioned your intake size restriction, Holley makes a killer new intake for the 351w, maybe they have one coming for the 302? Might allow you to run a bigger tube.

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-242

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Howe do you like the coil set-up you're using? I've been thinking of doing that, but I have a 351w so it's a bit harder to find a decent cam signal replacement. Looking at the Holley dual sync distributor so I can have timed sequential injection as well. I'm putting together a Holley HP set-up.
There are two places that make 351w cam sync, 64bit tuning & price motorsports, I think both are around the $250 range and from what ive read both work perfect.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

You mentioned your intake size restriction, Holley makes a killer new intake for the 351w, maybe they have one coming for the 302? Might allow you to run a bigger tube.

https://www.holley.com/products/inta.../parts/300-242

Yeah I saw those intakes when they came out. I'm surprised they didn't make one for a 302.
To be honest the forward facing intake would have created a whole lot of other headaches with intake routing from the novi. Then add a throttle body to the front, and hood clearance may become an issue.
When I go to a dart block, I may go to a trickflow box r.

The coils have been good so far. Easy to install really. I used the factory coil harness, which terminates at a large white male plug . I then bought 2 replacments female plugs and terminated the Haltech harness to that. Easy peasy. Yeah I didn't think of the lack of cam synchronisers for a 351. As strtcar said, they are out there. I did a quick google and you can find them. At worst, just run it off the crank trigger. I am only using sequential as I had a cam synch and it was no extra work to add. From all accounts, with sequential you may notice a difference at idle and low throttle driving, but at wot it's much of a muchness. Just another sensor to give me trouble too ha ha
I will add that the Haltech elite ecu is great. The harness that come with fuse box was a delight to install. I know it's pricey, but I can see why you pay more for it. If you can use wire strippers and crimpers, you can install a Haltech.
Don't get me wrong, I rate ecu's like the Megasquirt highly, but it's not quite as intuative for someone who isn't confident with wiring. You need to make your own power supplies for everything, fuses, etc. The Haltech comes with power wires included in the harness for everything ie coils, injectors . You have two power wires and a ground wire from the fusebox to connect.

Last edited by hus65; 01-15-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
There are two places that make 351w cam sync, 64bit tuning & price motorsports, I think both are around the $250 range and from what ive read both work perfect.
Thanks for the info, I checked them out but wasn't sure how well I could program them to run with the Holley ECU. I've already ordered a dual sync dizzy from them, they offer a CNP kit that works with it though. lol, how deep does the rabbit hole go?

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I checked them out but wasn't sure how well I could program them to run with the Holley ECU. I've already ordered a dual sync dizzy from them, they offer a CNP kit that works with it though. lol, how deep does the rabbit hole go?
I know for a fact 64bit tuning works with holley efi, i almost used them on my 8.2 deck motor but ended up with a 96 explorer unit instead. I was also running holley EFI.....The rabbit hole goes very very deep.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd like to speak to the person that has found the bottom of the rabbit hole....I have a few questions
j persons likes this.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hus65 View Post
I'd like to speak to the person that has found the bottom of the rabbit hole....I have a few questions
probably the same guy who's car is "finished"
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
I know for a fact 64bit tuning works with holley efi, i almost used them on my 8.2 deck motor but ended up with a 96 explorer unit instead. I was also running holley EFI.....The rabbit hole goes very very deep.
I checked out the 64but tuning part and it is very nice, even has a new pigtail to plug right in to the Holley EFI harness. But I'd still need to source a crank sensor set-up....which Holley sells for a "small" price
https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/556-115

...Then I saw how much the Holley CNP kit is and needed to pour a glass of scotch
https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/556-127

I think I'll run their distributor and see how I like it. I can always use it and add the CNP kit as the dizzy has built in cam and crank sensors. They have a blank cap to replace the top plugs. Not as elegant as the other set-ups, but it'll work.

Had that new ram style intake been out before I got my set-up together I'd have went with that. Looks like it'd be slick.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

The holley crank trigger setup is one of the better of the shelf ones you can get. Much better resolution than the flying magnet kits out there. Unless you want to make your own kit, it's the one I'd buy off the shelf.
The CNP kit is expensive. The loom actually looks exactly like my ls coil one. The plugs are the same. I reckon if you picked up some ls coils with the factory loom, you could wire it up pretty easy to the holley.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

I really liked my innovators west magnet setup, nice and clean, no pulley spacing issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page