Holley Sniper and TFI? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Holley Sniper and TFI?

Could anyone please tell me if the Sniper EFI will work with th stock Ford efi distributor (TFI ignition) on a roller motor? Thanks. I see it works with magnetic pickup but not sure on the hall effect type of ignition. I see they have a TFI adapter cable, but it does not specifically say for the Sniper in the description. I left a question at Summitracing but no answer. I'm wondering if they did this for the other efi systems before they put out the Sniper and it just didn't get added to the Sniper description?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-558-305

"Fits all Ford TFI ignitions withHolley Avenger, HP, and Dominator EFI systems. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM

I'd call Holley. Most of the negative on the TBI's, other than the Command Center fuel can, is on using the timing control. Just sayin!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Garage
I have the Sniper set up and the stock TFI from a 5.0 EFI is not shown as an option in the big install manual. I sold my TFI and bought an MSD 2 wire magnetic pickup. I'd ask Holley, maybe with that harness it will work?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I do have one of those summitracing distributors, on my shelf, that are like the chevy type with the coil in cap (electronic). I think that would work ok, as it is magnetic. It has a steel gear drive for the roller motor. I'll probably just poke that back in for the install. I want to be able to get the full usage from the sniper controlling the timing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

I will have to go to an MSD captive discharge ignition box and use a universal harness they have for the TFI type of dist. Should work ok.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:03 PM

The TFI distributor has a Hall effect sensor. Technically, it will work. The TFI module is considered unreliable, so carry a spare. The reason Holley doesn't just add Sniper to the description is that they don't want to support Sniper with TFI. The systems that do support it must be nearly 20 years old now. Holley is having enough trouble with their MSD distributors and timing control with Sniper. Holley support would much rather have you use their expensive dual-sync distributor.

No reason why you can't give TFI a try. Just don't expect much help from Holley if there's a problem. I might attempt to use TFI in my Cleveland. There are 460 trucks from the 80's with a TFI distributor that fit Clevelands. You would need to know the reference angle the sensor is set to. There is good information here that should also apply to Sniper; https://forums.holley.com/showthread...5594#post55594
gwstang and 67Modcoupe like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Sorta OT...but I'm using a TFI distributor (stock Ford) on my car and it's stranded me twice. One time the TFI module was completely dead. That was the used TFI that I got with the used distributor. The second time the car died and wouldn't restart, but after it had cooled off for awhile it started and got me home (where I swapped in another new module).

Yesterday I ordered a TFI relocation kit that gets the module off the distributor and relocates it away from engine heat. I'll post some pictures once I get it installed.

Not sure what year they did it...but Ford eventually moved the TFI module off the distributor over this same issue.

Phil
gwstang likes this.

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

"Yesterday I ordered a TFI relocation kit"

Where did you get it from? Thanks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:51 PM

This is interesting, I am getting closer to finishing up my AAW and Holley HP install. The Holley kit required a purchase of an adapter harness to use the Ford TFI dizzy. Anybody think of any downsides to locating the TFI module inside the car? I am thinking up under the dash on the right side above the heater box. I would use either the FatFoxx 706A kit of the McCully Mk3 kit tp do this.

:: FatFoxx ::

McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Some Fords from the 90s apparently had the TFI modules mounted remotely. Rangers for one: Remote Mounted TFI Ignition Module This looks better to me than those expensive kits.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
"Yesterday I ordered a TFI relocation kit"

Where did you get it from? Thanks.
McCully Racing Motors- We have exactly what your over-heated TFI Module Needs!

Click link above. I'll try to post something after I get it installed. It was $75 with shipping.

Phil
gwstang likes this.

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 04:12 PM

I had the TFI relocation kit on my 302 and never had any dramas with the TFI module. Actually I did have a small one, which was causing rpm signal spikes due to the relocation wiring being too close to the alternator. The signal was spiking almost 2000rpm, so it would hit the rev limiter randomly when I was around 4000rpm. Once I moved it away it was fine, so just watch the wire routing with it and make sure it's not near any high voltage sources.

Here's some info on the class action against Ford for the TFI failures.

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-tfi-...ss-settlement/
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Phil, I'm going to get one. I've had a TFI give out on me before, it would start running rough at idle and funky. I carry the little tool that makes it easy to change out on the side of the road. I keep an extra with the special grease in the trunk....also AAA card helps everything mustang related on the side of the road...
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

"I had the TFI relocation kit on my 302 and never had any dramas with the TFI module. Actually I did have a small one, which was causing rpm signal spikes due to the relocation wiring being too close to the alternator. The signal was spiking almost 2000rpm, so it would hit the rev limiter randomly when I was around 4000rpm. Once I moved it away it was fine, so just watch the wire routing with it and make sure it's not near any high voltage sources."

I've taken a harness apart before and remember one of the wires being wrapped with some sort of special foil. I assume that was to keep the above happening?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Yeah the the TFI wires are insulated from factory. The relocation harness is also insulated. However, even with insulation, they will still get noise if they are too close to high voltage sources. Even being close to to injectors wires can sometimes add a bit of noise.
gwstang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in