TCP G-bar/G-link 4-link w/ tubs & torque arm - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Shaun
  • 1 Post By DrStang
  • 1 Post By Shaun

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

TCP G-bar/G-link 4-link w/ tubs & torque arm

I want to install a torque arm set up into my 69 Mustang. Of those on the market, TCI only bolts/welds to the frame rails, TCP only offers a torque arm with the pushrod set up or you pay 8k+ for a custom setup. RRS' torque arm uses the stock shock mounting points as well as frame rail reinforcement but they dont offer heim joints or spherical bearing on the links which is problematic for driving hard when those bushings bind.

So my idea is two fold.... take the TCP g-link 4-link kit https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-816...spensions.aspx and grind off the inner link mounts and instead use their torque arm and sub frame connector as the center link, viola a torque arm set up. This attaches to both the frame rails and stock shock mounts like RRS and I can upgrade to the links w/ pivot balls instead of being stuck with the poly bushings that will bind under hard launches.

1.) Does anyone have this setup installed with minitubs? I want to convert to coil overs now to enjoy the ride and eliminate my wheel hop but I want to put tubs on down the road when Im ready for a full rotisserie & those 335 tires.

As I think of more things I'll add it to the thread, thanks! Pictures of setups are always appreciated... it's nice to see the work other people are putting in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 04:53 PM

I have the g-bar in my Ď66 but it remains unmodified. I love it and the way the car handles. I donít know what those mods would do to it but Iíd call TCP to see what they think or how you could incorporate the torque arm.

'66 Coupe - Pro-touring in the making

289 or 302? 4bbl
T-5Z
9" TrueTrac 3.55 gears
TCP suspension front and rear
18x8 Wheels and Baer 6P all four corners

And no more money left in my wallet...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj220 View Post
I have the g-bar in my ‘66 but it remains unmodified. I love it and the way the car handles. I don’t know what those mods would do to it but I’d call TCP to see what they think or how you could incorporate the torque arm.
Essentially the g-bar or g-link is a 4-link setup, the problem is the center links are short and slightly triangulated, they dont run parallel to the frame rails. I want to remove those two points of contact and utilize the torque arm to convert the system into a three link. Really it comes down to the length of the torque arm compared to the two inner links. The torque arm can translate the rotational forces on the axle housing during launch to "roughly" the instant center of the vehicle whereas those inner links have no leverage due to their short length, they can also bind side to side during suspension travel.

Existing torque arm set ups don't have the frame reinforcement the g-bar/g-link setup does. If I may, how much horsepower are you running in your '66?

Last edited by aquaticlemming; 02-03-2018 at 07:04 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:23 PM

Have you considered Shaun's 3 link system?

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

Thunder - The Restoration Video From Start To Finish - 6 1/2 Years in Four Minutes
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripped View Post
Have you considered Shaun's 3 link system?
Street or track?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM
fej

Yes SoT

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Wow, that is purdy!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticlemming View Post
I want to install a torque arm set up into my 69 Mustang. Of those on the market, TCI only bolts/welds to the frame rails, TCP only offers a torque arm with the pushrod set up or you pay 8k+ for a custom setup. RRS' torque arm uses the stock shock mounting points as well as frame rail reinforcement but they dont offer heim joints or spherical bearing on the links which is problematic for driving hard when those bushings bind.

So my idea is two fold.... take the TCP g-link 4-link kit https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-816...spensions.aspx and grind off the inner link mounts and instead use their torque arm and sub frame connector as the center link, viola a torque arm set up. This attaches to both the frame rails and stock shock mounts like RRS and I can upgrade to the links w/ pivot balls instead of being stuck with the poly bushings that will bind under hard launches.

1.) Does anyone have this setup installed with minitubs? I want to convert to coil overs now to enjoy the ride and eliminate my wheel hop but I want to put tubs on down the road when Im ready for a full rotisserie & those 335 tires.

As I think of more things I'll add it to the thread, thanks! Pictures of setups are always appreciated... it's nice to see the work other people are putting in
I have the TCP 4 link and mini tubs. You'll have to re-engineer the setup slightly. Moving the shocks out board and the trailing arms inboard. With the trailing arms as they are, they will not allow you to use your mini tub space for a bigger tire.
evrev likes this.

]

"A good friend will help you move. A great friend will help you move a dead body"

September 2017 Mustang Monthly cover car
1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
How does it get any better than this?

Street or Track Rear Bilstein 3-Link System

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Some day I will have this!

ET: [email protected] mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Griggs Racing also sells a torque arm that is probably better designed than the TCP, but the 3 link from SorT is probably better than any of them.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Supporting Vendor

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:35 PM

The TCP torque arm uses an ultra short 33 inch torque arm. That puts the torque arm mount over 2 feet behind the CG. Did they do it for packaging in the early mustang tunnel? No idea. But if I were going to do a torque arm, it'd be a minimum of 48 inches. And that's on the short side there. A Camaro, with 7 inch shorter wheelbase, runs a 56 inch torque arm(center of axle to center of mount.

Just go with SorT's 3 link. You'll be miles ahead.

Shane Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page