1966 mustang AJE k member help - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting the AJE k member for my 1966 mustang. I really like that I can use foxbody steering and spindles, but it says I HAVE to use their coil overs and control arms. Can I get an aftermarket set of coils for a foxbody, and use those? Thanks guys

Last edited by bendaggs; 02-13-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Messed something up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 PM

There are no provisions for traditional coil springs on the control arms. So you have to use struts with a coilover kit. Whether you use one of the available threaded body mustang specific struts or a replacement type mustang strut with a coilover kit is 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. I did one back in 2012 and used an old set of AVO struts from my old Fox Body race car with a coilover sleeve on it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Before dropping the coin for the AJE, look at the roadstershop.com or the detroitspeed.com offerings. They both have a lot of development and science behind them. These are not M2 type suspensions, I think both of them use Corvette spindles.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Before dropping the coin for the AJE, look at the roadstershop.com or the detroitspeed.com offerings. They both have a lot of development and science behind them. These are not M2 type suspensions, I think both of them use Corvette spindles.
Ha, those are like 4x the price, completely different ballgame with Roadstershop or DS. I'm doing AJE and using SN 95 cc plates and foxbody coilovers. If your on facebook checkout my group "AJE Colt 65 classic fords" we have about 400 members all doing or interested in the swap. Lots of good info.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 PM

The Facebook group is great. Lots of good info there.

Ya, you must use the AJE lower control arms with the AJE k-member.
But, you can use coilovers for a Fox or SN95. The Fox coilovers are a bit shorter. If you use Fox coilovers, you'll need a set of caster/camber plates also. The AJE ones only work with AJE coilovers.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebox View Post
The Facebook group is great. Lots of good info there.

Ya, you must use the AJE lower control arms with the AJE k-member.
But, you can use coilovers for a Fox or SN95. The Fox coilovers are a bit shorter. If you use Fox coilovers, you'll need a set of caster/camber plates also. The AJE ones only work with AJE coilovers.
Not true, there is a guy in the group who left his aje cc plates and is running fox coilovers (strange).
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtcar View Post
Not true, there is a guy in the group who left his aje cc plates and is running fox coilovers (strange).
I haven't seen that. I'll have to check it out.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:30 PM

The aje kit wasn’t really too expensive but i believe it uses a fox steering and everything else is off of a sn95. W this set up “what I’ve researched “ is u can go w wider rims up front and it’s more more sturdier then the mm2. If u do the mm2 u have to put some bracing in cause u cut out the towers.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 PM

AJE is a good choice. Just use their k member and A arms. There coil overs are junk and overpriced get some Bilstien shocks and maximum motorsports cc plates and you’ve got a great set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blueovalfan68 likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM

I'd lean to agree with Harry. MM makes great go and turn quality stuff. I've been tempted for years to under go an AJE front. I could use a donor SN95 and it'd open up a lot of steering/brake and turbo options. I truly believe it to be the closest to a bolt in front clip for the buck to improve many future options. I say this with everything from Ridetech/RorT/GW/TP front ends and an "Extreme Iron NASA" 94 Cobra with MM chassis.

Caveat in my opinion: A GREAT working modded Vintage long/short A arm still rides better than my Griggs 11' on the road.

69 351 TKO Sport Roof, Ride Tech coilover
70 557 PG Mach I tube chassis 2650lb
70 427 TKO Sport Roof, SoT full chassis to be
70 351 FMX Mach I
67 347 TKO Coupe SoT/CAT5
67 289 C4 Coupe stockish cruiser
69 460 TKO Vert, Mustang Plus Grab a Track
94 351 TKO AIX, Maximum Motorsports
01 5.4 4L80E Twins and CrMo caged
11 5.0 Magnum XL single turbo Griggs
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
Ha, those are like 4x the price, completely different ballgame with Roadstershop or DS. I'm doing AJE and using SN 95 cc plates and foxbody coilovers. If your on facebook checkout my group "AJE Colt 65 classic fords" we have about 400 members all doing or interested in the swap. Lots of good info.
After installing the AJE kit I realized there’s no provision for a front sway bar, i’m hoping someone in your group has figured something out. Anything you can share? Sorry, I’m not on fakebook so I can’t search their pages.

Thanks, Clint

Oh, I asked AJE for direction on this and got crickets...

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn

Last edited by Blue Blood; 03-25-2018 at 01:35 AM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
After installing the AJE kit I realized there’s no provision for a front sway bar, i’m hoping someone in your group has figured something out. Anything you can share? Sorry, I’m not on fakebook so I can’t search their pages.

Thanks, Clint

Oh, I asked AJE for direction on this and got crickets...
Stock bar (or aftermarket bigger) should work fine with longer end links. If you got the adjustable a-arms there are no provisions for end links, so you would need to fab up your own.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Stock bar (or aftermarket bigger) should work fine with longer end links. If you got the adjustable a-arms there are no provisions for end links, so you would need to fab up your own.

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Quote:
“Stock” for my ‘68, not the Fox body rack and pinion, correct?

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post

“Stock” for my ‘68, not the Fox body rack and pinion, correct?
correct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page