Double DIN Stereo Head Unit Install in a 66 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 24Likes

post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
When I first started getting the yen for a single flip out screen setup there were about six varieties of of flip DOWN units. Last I looked I saw about none. There are some funky ones that look flip down but are really removable faces that don't retract. Nope. One reason I'm looking because I was thinking of forcing one into my F150 where the dash pad overhangs the radio area. Kind of stuck on my audiophile "flip face" CD player I have in the '67. Future audio options for the '69 are wide open though. I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
When I first started getting the yen for a single flip out screen setup there were about six varieties of of flip DOWN units. Last I looked I saw about none. There are some funky ones that look flip down but are really removable faces that don't retract. Nope. One reason I'm looking because I was thinking of forcing one into my F150 where the dash pad overhangs the radio area. Kind of stuck on my audiophile "flip face" CD player I have in the '67. Future audio options for the '69 are wide open though. I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
The flip-down versions that I saw a while back all came from China, and some like you said would not retract. I love Bluetooth in my other car, but with the sound of the exhaust in the Stang my phone has a hard time understanding what I want it to do. Since it is not dead quite but at least "OK Google" will work if I hold the phone up to my face, and I'm cruising in 5th gear or stopped at a light, but once moving - game over. No one ever said a 50 year old car was quite anyway, and I like the sound of the exhaust when changing gears so no phone calls.

It never fails that I receive a call from the wife when I'm turning and changing gears at the same time.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
Ha! My wife and I are the same way! Our newest vehicle, a 2012, came with all the fun technology, our 2008 vehicle did not. I installed one of these big touchscreens in it and it’s wonderful. The 66 is going to be a daily driver, so any way to get the modern conveniences installed to encourage use of the vehicle I will make the effort.

post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
I'm getting spoiled to the point where I think a bluetooth phone connection is mandatory.
It absolutely is. A wireless onnection to pretty much any song you want at will is a powerful force.

The anvil of reality.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM

This:

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/produ...RoChUwQAvD_BwE

plus small 4-channel amp and a radio block off plate works well. I use one in my car, my boost and AFR gauges are in the radio area. I have kick panel/rear deck speakers and a 10" sub with a 5 channel amp all run from my phone.

I also recommend getting something like this so you don't have to mess with your phone to change tracks / volume

https://www.ebay.com/i/222234246269?chn=ps

My dash:

68' Coupe. Toyota 2JZ. Build thread HERE

Last edited by Beau M; 02-22-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I did something similar but ended up not using a head unit but a tablet instead. The PO of my car had cut a giant opening for a 1.5 din stereo. So I had to fix the metal either way, thus I decided to take the opportunity to make it what I really wanted. Im happy with it.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Garage
That looks excellent.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
I did something similar but ended up not using a head unit but a tablet instead. The PO of my car had cut a giant opening for a 1.5 din stereo. So I had to fix the metal either way, thus I decided to take the opportunity to make it what I really wanted. Im happy with it.
That is freakin’ awesome! Nice work!

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
When I said earlier that new tech never blends in with old tech obviously I had forgotten all about Ryan's tablet. All bow to the master.
PraireBronze, 2nd 66 and BlakeTX like this.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 PM
Dimples

Garage
Was hoping you’d post those pics, Ryan. It just doesn’t get better than that.

The anvil of reality.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Thanks y'all!! It was a lot of head scratching but really happy how it came out.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus68 View Post
Did you read that lock smith link from the other thread? I'm not positive you're have a dialog with an English speaking person.
Yes. And this person (from India) is showing every sign of being yet another spammer trying to sneak in. We're just waiting for the link to whatever they are pimping. Ban button at the ready.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Well, I didn't have long to wait.
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:37 PM

That looks super cool. I was gonna have a i pad mini pop out of the dash like a navigation screen but there’s not enough room to the windshield
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Wanted to post an update....

Got the head unit installed finally. It is a TIGHT fit, but, it fits! I had a close clearance issue with the 4x10 speaker in the dash, there is maybe an 1/8" clearance from the top of the head unit to the bottom of the speaker magnet, but it doesn't hit and that's what matters! I am gonna try out using the center speaker in conjunction with the two 4x6 door speakers to get a better sound field. We'll see how it goes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash2.jpg (84.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg dash1.jpg (86.5 KB, 110 views)
crzycrkr likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page