Double DIN Stereo Head Unit Install in a 66 - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I've seen any number of posts from people griping about how their previous owner "butchered" their dash to fit some radio or another. THOSE people are going to have heart attacks when they see yours!

I think it looks pretty darn sweet myself.
GearHeadPeter likes this.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
I have some cars. With a long list of parts on them that if anyone was interested in, they'd ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Well, It's sure better than the gaping hole that was there before...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 PM

Good thread!
Lots to think about for my 68.
I like that big one in the console!
It’s cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:50 AM

I found a solution to using the original holes (no cutting) and still have a double din screen. Pioneer DMH-C2500 (modular solution Receiver). The 7" x 4" LCD is separate from the receiver and connected by an hdmi cable. The DMH-C5500NEX lcd is better (the same as on a smart phone) but is bigger 10" x 5". To make the 5500 work one must use the 65 dash and slightly modify it.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhnhausen View Post
I found a solution to using the original holes (no cutting) and still have a double din screen. Pioneer DMH-C2500 (modular solution Receiver). The 7" x 4" LCD is separate from the receiver and connected by an hdmi cable. The DMH-C5500NEX lcd is better (the same as on a smart phone) but is bigger 10" x 5". To make the 5500 work one must use the 65 dash and slightly modify it.

and also very cool sounding
Fastang68 likes this.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
Has anybody added one inside the stock console compartment under the dash?... I though that would be a cool place to keep it vintage / out-of-sight when parked but you could open the console and have your satellite nav, apps, multi-media, even a screen for a cleverly-hidden backup camera... I love the 2-DIN Pioneer AVHX series I put in my F-250, added front AND rear cameras. Backup camera comes on automatically and I can turn on either with a momentary switch.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
People that want all that modern crap...like touch screens and push button ignitions should just buy a new 2018 mustang in my opinion..

Ok, I've said my 2 cents worth...

)

Tony K.
We bought a 2017 and it has all that crap. Ive only driven it a couple times, to much going on. I like knobs, plus the touch screen has finger prints and smudges on it all the time, drives me nuts. Then there is the glare..............Its my misses car, she likes it.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
We bought a 2017 and it has all that crap. Ive only driven it a couple times, to much going on. I like knobs, plus the touch screen has finger prints and smudges on it all the time, drives me nuts. Then there is the glare..............Its my misses car, she likes it.
My wife drove an Explorer for 15 years, we took care of it and gave it to her parents for their occasional driving and ease of ingress and egress...
Got her a 2018 Expedition with enough technology to give me absolute sensory overload.
I HATE THE SHIFT KNOB on the console...
I HATE THE PARK BRAKE that is an electric button...
That thing works just opposite of what it should.
I HATE THE AUTO STOP that is absolutely useless for our driving patterns and it should have a permanent setting other than me putting a trailer plug in it or screw with wires to trick the system.
I LOVE THE POWERTRAIN and the overall vehicle is AMAZING. Ford really nailed the power, comfort, ergonomics and usability of the vehicle and I give it a solid A for my growing-boys family.
The SYNC, NAV, AM-FM-XM etc gets a B+ because I should be able to dim or blank it with one touch and the updates are few for the searches.
I would use Android or Pioneer in my Mustang.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Garage
I don't have a car that needs this, and I don't think you should have to buy extra parts just to make your brand new car work right, but there are solutions to at least the start/stop problem.
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/c...iminator#tab-1

I ran across this because my sister's looking at a new Expedition but she hasn't bought one yet so I can't say how it works.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Yeah, I've seen those but my point is I shouldn't have to plug anything into it to tell it not to shut off just because I stop at a stop sign. When I first heard about carmakers doing this to appease the green crowd I thought about the stop-start engine wear, shortened starter life and battery life. Probably the only thing my wife doesn't like about the Expedition. I know one thing, it will haul @$s.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
That's alright.. Have you seen the new GM and MOPAR Trucks!? They shut down half the engine when you are driving from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders to save gas.....Total garbage... Ford Trucks don't have this...

The way around all of it for GM and Mopar to make the trucks drive V8 all the time is to buy one of these below. It cures the AFM (ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT) problems and issues...It's around $200 bucks and has rave reviews...worth every penny! ...but I'd never buy a newer GM truck anyway By the way the Trannies in the new GM Truck Suck too...Lots of Electrical issues...drive slippages, etc. At Least Ford Trucks run on ALL EIGHT CYLINDERS ALL THE TIME!

https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

)

Tony K.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:00 PM

My red one was butchered when I got it so I had no issues putting in something better. 6x9s in the back and 4in speakers in the kick panels and amp and EQ. Of course that was 1987 and I was 16.

My white is nearly pristine under the dash, no one ever put in any radio stuff or speaker wires. I am the 3rd owner and it still has the factory AM radio which works when the Royals play.

Or I can listen to my kids complain we don't have A/C in the car.

roog
myfirstcar66 likes this.

My first Mustang, 1965 hardtop, 200ci C4

My second Mustang, 1966 hardtop, 200ci 3spd
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
I have the same issues in regards to the dash single DIN and door 4x6 speakers on a 66. No fun, but might as well go with it unless you really want to return to stock. Also, notice on the Revology car that there is no ashtray which cleans up the dash a little as well. Who uses the ashtray anymore?
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
I have the same issues in regards to the dash single DIN and door 4x6 speakers on a 66. No fun, but might as well go with it unless you really want to return to stock. Also, notice on the Revology car that there is no ashtray which cleans up the dash a little as well. Who uses the ashtray anymore?
I do ! !
Not for smoking. That's where I keep little stuff like a good pen, some blank deposit slips, some spare fuses, and I actually have my AUX cord in there for my stereo so I can plug my phone into it and play Spotify or Slacker for tunes.

I think there's enough room in a stock 65-66 factory console for a 2DIN setup.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
I do ! !
Not for smoking. That's where I keep little stuff like a good pen, some blank deposit slips, some spare fuses, and I actually have my AUX cord in there for my stereo so I can plug my phone into it and play Spotify or Slacker for tunes.

I think there's enough room in a stock 65-66 factory console for a 2DIN setup.
There is, but just barely. If you are really interested I can tell you how to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Touchscreen installed in dash.jpg (303.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Dash Panel.JPG (308.4 KB, 15 views)

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page